Catch Wrestling United

John seems like a good guy,, spent a few years learning and training up to coach in CSW with Erik Paulson, and now an assistant coach under Billy Robinson. Formed Snake Pit USA last year, and while not an official affiliation to Snake Pit in Wigan, they had Roy and Andrea Wood's blessing to use the name.

Catch Wrestling is my favorite type of grappling. I Do Sambo which is a mix of Judo and greco, but when he take the gi-off, its basic submission wrestling

Anyone else see this before? The story I heard was a small cowardly boy asked him to slap him hard in an attempt to instill courage in him. Once he was slapped and realized he was courageous he bowed his thanks.

Essentially yeah. Supposedly it's an honour to get slapped by someone like Inoki prior to a fight in Japan. Inoki trained Machida a little in wrestling over there.

Essentially yeah. Supposedly it's an honour to get slapped by someone like Inoki prior to a fight in Japan. Inoki trained Machida a little in wrestling over there.

Yeah, it's basically a long running meme over here. LOL I actually thought it was common knowledge. hahaha

Catch Wrestling is my favorite type of grappling. I Do Sambo which is a mix of Judo and greco, but when he take the gi-off, its basic submission wrestling
Good to hear! How long have you been doing Sambo?

cool video of fujiwara demonstrating some cacc moves on a young minoru suzuki

young_sakuraba_medium.jpg

I've been really into Catch lately. Anyone have any recommendations on decent technique books for Catch?

Big news coming for the sport of Catch. Stay tuned Monday morning.

Wade Schalles becomes new head coach for Scientific Wrestling. I got statements from Schalles, Jake Shannon, and Sam Kressin who was an assistant coach under Billy Robinson and perhaps spent the most time learning from him in the last 7 years.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/2...ach-scientific-catch-wrestling-billy-robinson

What are your personnel thoughts on this move? You've always been pretty vocal about who you think can and can not claim Catch and why, what makes someone a "legit" Catch Wrestler and who can and should be carrying the Catch flag in this "revival".

You like this move? Someone with great wrestling and BB level skills in two other submission arts being the Head Coach of the biggest revival of Catch Wrestling?

Schalles' competition experience and achievement is well documented, up to the world and olympic level. He is in an elite class when it comes to his knowledge of down wrestling through body positioning, weight distribution, leverage and all the other important mechanics of wrestling.

I think they're doing the right thing having him focus on the pinning side of wrestling while he learns from the late Billy Robinson's assistant coaches - who collectively have had several thousand hours of direct coaching from Robinson - and there's a lot of overlap in what Schalles already teaches and what Robinson taught because Catch is a wrestling based art, and the forefather of American scholastic folkstyle and freestyle.

Schalles has never claimed to already be some expert in Catch, he has never sold what he does as Catch, so we get to see him develop into a Catch coach while working with others.

Back