Catch wrestling will end up disparreaing for good soon

Idonotbelieveit

winning
@Gold
Reaction score
its mind boggling why ken shamrock doesn't teach and promote it more he's probably the most purest lineage left guy

Josh Barnett keeps it going but after him it's over

There's no way this doesn't end in some kind of argument.

It's possible for sure, but there are guys like Chris Foran and a few others in the UK who trained directly under Billy Robinson and Co.

I reckon it'll die off one day - but I'll have fun training it while I still can!

I guess it would help if someone made it to the top in the UFC while outwardly flying the flag for catch wrestling. Back in the day 10 years ago in that neighborhood, not only did we have Barnett doing well and beating guys like Nogueira, you had Jeff Monson, and a bunch of guys in Japan. All it would take is a good wrestler with aggressive mat work to call himself a catch wrestler and popularity would increase. Look what Fedor, Khabib, Rustam Khabilov, Ali Bagautinov and others have done for sambo. But there is still some push behind it. You have Neil Melanson out there teaching it to the sports best but he hasn't been as vocal calling himself a catch guy in the last few years. You have guys like Jake Shannon and Wade Schalles involved in catch. I remember out here on Long Island about 10 years ago there was a little Shootfighting school called John Busto's Martial Arts that would have catch seminars and stuff. Its such a fine line too though. You have a ton of guys who combine wrestling and submission grappling that don't rep catch but they have basically the same skill set.

I guess it would help if someone made it to the top in the UFC while outwardly flying the flag for catch wrestling. Back in the day 10 years ago in that neighborhood, not only did we have Barnett doing well and beating guys like Nogueira, you had Jeff Monson, and a bunch of guys in Japan. All it would take is a good wrestler with aggressive mat work to call himself a catch wrestler and popularity would increase. Look what Fedor, Khabib, Rustam Khabilov, Ali Bagautinov and others have done for sambo. But there is still some push behind it. You have Neil Melanson out there teaching it to the sports best but he hasn't been as vocal calling himself a catch guy in the last few years. You have guys like Jake Shannon and Wade Schalles involved in catch. I remember out here on Long Island about 10 years ago there was a little Shootfighting school called John Busto's Martial Arts that would have catch seminars and stuff. Its such a fine line too though. You have a ton of guys who combine wrestling and submission grappling that don't rep catch but they have basically the same skill set.
Ken shamrock did it UFC 5 he shut bjj down for 35 minutes

Yes boring but it worked that fight gets overlooked

Saku kept cacc alive

Ken brought it well him and his teachers funaki and Suzuki

But saku beat the Gracie's and kept it going

Josh Barnett is doing a good job

But after him it's dead imo

Saku kept cacc alive

Ken brought it well him and his teachers funaki and Suzuki

But saku beat the Gracie's and kept it going

Josh Barnett is doing a good job

But after him it's dead imo
I guess your right. You know what would be best for catch? If a guy like Neil Melanson started his own gym. He is one of the only guys left who are still plugged in to the upper level MMA scene. Also, I do remember Chris Wade referred to himself as a catch wrestler in an interview before one of his UFC fights. But really hes a State Champ wrestler with good BJJ, its not actual catch.

I guess your right. You know what would be best for catch? If a guy like Neil Melanson started his own gym. He is one of the only guys left who are still plugged in to the upper level MMA scene. Also, I do remember Chris Wade referred to himself as a catch wrestler in an interview before one of his UFC fights. But really hes a State Champ wrestler with good BJJ, its not actual catch.
Yeah man

Josh has stayed true to catch . Probably the last one of his era. Maybe Hume

Ken was before him and purest lineage but he never taught and carried it on which I thought he would

Saku kept it alive in his matches he didn't need to teach lol

Catch will always exist somewhere, especially since it's folkstyle with no potentially dangerous calls or illegal holds. But for some reason many "catch" wrestlers ignore this basic fact

Catch will always exist somewhere, especially since it's folkstyle with no potentially dangerous calls or illegal holds. But for some reason many "catch" wrestlers ignore this basic fact

Isn't the modern "catch wrestling" different? If you look on catch stuff on youtube a lot of it seems to be crued/weird BJJ rather then something that would work while wrestling with pins.

Isn't the modern "catch wrestling" different? If you look on catch stuff on youtube a lot of it seems to be crued/weird BJJ rather then something that would work while wrestling with pins.
There's a reason Wade Schalles showing "old school" pins was so easily accepted

Can some tell me where Neil melanson learned catch?

Last edited:
But for some reason many "catch" wrestlers ignore this basic fact

I see you post this fact a lot but i've never seen it. Actually, you're the first i've ever heard it from, and i dare say i keep up more than most about catch-related goings on.

Not sure where the genesis of this animus comes from tbh.

There's a reason Wade Schalles showing "old school" pins was so easily accepted

Since there's not actually a conflict?

its mind boggling why ken shamrock doesn't teach and promote it more he's probably the most purest lineage left guy

Josh Barnett keeps it going but after him it's over

Is the Lion's Den no longer around?

What about Frank Shamrock? I heard he wanted to start a chain of schools back in the day.

And I cannot understand why Tony Cecchine never opened an actual brick and mortar school as opposed to doing traveling seminars. Well, maybe the seminars are more profit. No real estate expenses, and you get to travel.

Last edited:
erik paulson still teaches it at his CSW schools

i learned it there

Does the guard or body scissors counts as a pin in Catch wrestling?

Back