Catch wrestling will end up disparreaing for good soon

I believe that unless catch really differentiate itself from bjj/no gi it will have a hard time growing. Now it is just a weird corner of no gi grappling. Imho it needs to have pins to stand out. But my guess is that there will be resistance for pins for political reasons.

Last edited:
I believe that unless catch really differentiate itself from bjj/no gi it will have a hard time growing. Now it is just a weird corner of no gi grappling. Imho it needs to have pins to stand out. But my guess is that there will be resistance for pins for political reasons.
Doesn't the ruleset also limit some submissions?

It's hard for other ground fighting arts to spread when BJJ basically monopolized ground fighting.
BJJ basically absorbed every ground fighting tricks from others martial arts and made it part of BJJ.

I remember a video where Robert Drysdale said that leg locks were taboo in BJJ when he was younger, now everyone does leglocks.

I believe they could have some success adding pins if they used them the same way as freestyle judo. You get points for pins but they aren't an instant win like regular IJF judo.

I believe they could have some success adding pins if they used them the same way as freestyle judo. You get points for pins but they aren't an instant win like regular IJF judo.

I see nothing wrong with winning via pin. Although I do like the judo system for pin victories. Something in between the two would be cool. It's easier to hold someone down in a gi.

Can some tell me where Neil melanson learned catch?
As far as I remember, from interviews and stuff, he started training with MMA fighter Justin Mcelfresh in Ohio. They trained at a school that had a "shoot fighting" class that was kinda under the old school Bart Vale umbrella. Then he moved to LA and got with the Hayastan guys.

It's hard for other ground fighting arts to spread when BJJ basically monopolized ground fighting.
BJJ basically absorbed every ground fighting tricks from others martial arts and made it part of BJJ.

I remember a video where Robert Drysdale said that leg locks were taboo in BJJ when he was younger, now everyone does leglocks.
still are in australia.

I see nothing wrong with winning via pin. Although I do like the judo system for pin victories. Something in between the two would be cool. It's easier to hold someone down in a gi.
You ever look into the grappling that UWW (formally known as FILA) is promoting? Its funny how effective marketing is. USA Wrestling/UWW does like zero marketing for grappling but I'm sure its very close to what catch competitions would look like. A grappling style with subs and emphasis on top position, discourages pulling guard, etc. No pins though.

Sadly I have to agree. I've wrestled catch for years and love it. The guys who mention pins as part of the format are correct. It's what differentiates catch from no gi. The lack of actual catch rule tournaments and the constant bickering about who is the most legit (or only legit) teachers are killing it off. The Combat Wrestling tournament is the closest thing we have since you get points for pinning position although it doesn't end the match. While Erik Paulson is doing great teaching Catch, his guys still have nowhere to practice their craft under Catch Rules.

Catch Jitsu will takes its place.

let's be honest, catch wont grow if people charge 1995 Rorion Gracie seminar prices.

I just found out about combat wrestling and want try it very badly. Is it dead as well? I heard there are clubs on the mid west. Are there teams and tournaments in the southwest at all?

I just found out about combat wrestling and want try it very badly. Is it dead as well? I heard there are clubs on the mid west. Are there teams and tournaments in the southwest at all?
Compare the rules of combat wrestling (which I thought was only referred to as such in japan) to UWW/USA Wrestling Grappling. UWW grappling has a very well established infrastructure and will be easy to compete in. They are both wrestling with submissions, how different can they be?

Compare the rules of combat wrestling (which I thought was only referred to as such in japan) to UWW/USA Wrestling Grappling. UWW grappling has a very well established infrastructure and will be easy to compete in. They are both wrestling with submissions, how different can they be?
Thats like saying Greco and Freestyle are both Olympic wrestling styles, how different could they be? :)

UWW doesnt score pins, Combat Wrestling does.
UWW has closed guard, Combat Wrestling doesnt.
UWW scores reversals, Combat Wrestling doesnt.
UWW doesnt have standing escapes from submissions, Combat Wrestling does.
UWW and Combat Wrestling restart positions are quite different- in Combat Wrestling, wrestlers are always restarted from standing position.

Yes, they are quite different.
And the only thing a guy needs to compete in Combat Wrestling international event is to win a bracket in his national team. If there isnt a country representative, the athletes are free to enter directly.
Combat Wrestling provides sponsorship help for accommodation/ travel expenses, based on country ranking.
FICW is most probably the easiest organization to get in contact with the governing body and get a full answer to all your questions :)

Last edited:
Check with USA CW, they are organizing the annual national trials and I know they have a few events planned for this year, plus the Combat Wrestling worlds are going to be in the USA this October ;)

Thats like saying Greco and Freestyle are both Olympic wrestling styles, how different could they be?

UWW doesnt score pins, Combat Wrestling does.
UWW has closed guard, Combat Wrestling doesnt.
UWW scores reversals, Combat Wrestling doesnt.
UWW doesnt have standing escapes from submissions, Combat Wrestling does.
UWW and Combat Wrestling restart positions are quite different- in Combat Wrestling, wrestlers are always restarted from standing position.

Yes, they are quite different.
And the only thing a guy needs to compete in Combat Wrestling international event is to win a bracket in his national team. If there isnt a country representative, the athletes are free to enter directly.
Combat Wrestling provides sponsorship help for accommodation/ travel expenses, based on country ranking.
FICW is most probably the easiest organization to get in contact with the governing body and get a full answer to all your questions :)
Well, then there ya go TS. You have your plan and all the info you need to make your move. :)

Back