CEO caught singing 'We're in the Money' as Walmart deal lifts shares

It's cringe-worthy but certainly isn't something that requires an apology.

The monopolies commission might yet take the shine off his bliss .

lol at "caught". Plebs are mad.

The chief executive of Sainsbury's has apologized after a hot microphone caught him singing "We're in the Money" as shares in the UK supermarket chain soared.
"We're in the money. The sky is sunny. Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along," crooned CEO Mike Coupe after Sainsbury's announced plans to merge its business with Asda, the UK retailer owned by Walmart (WMT).

The CEO was recorded singing before the start of a television interview, and the footage was later released by UK broadcaster ITV.

Coupe said in a statement that he was sorry if he had offended anyone.

The singing incident angered unions that represent grocery industry workers.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/01/investing/sainsburys-ceo-mike-coupe-singing-asda/index.html?section=money_markets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/money_markets+(CNNMoney:+Markets)

I know. How dare motherfuckers be happy about making money legitimately?????
If your life is miserable and pathetic why not be pissed off at anyone having successes?

Darn those rich people! I want that money.

It's cringe-worthy but certainly isn't something that requires an apology.

Yet he still apologised. Which I find even more insulting, if you are cynical about it.

"I hear some plebs are rustled. I won't even try to explain myself nor can't I be fucked to care. I'm sorry, lol"

The article didn't mention employees taking a pay cut. Any reason to believe that?
What about their current pay and benefits? Considering these grocers' status in a union they bargain for these things. The employer is going to do everything in their power to pay them as little as possible, while their psychotic execs sing jolly songs in depressing tones.

Warren Buffett often begins speeches with approaching the mic and saying, "Testing, one million, 2 million, 3 million..." Or maybe billions. I think he says millions to be humble.

What about their current pay and benefits? Considering these grocers' status in a union they bargain for these things. The employer is going to do everything in their power to pay them as little as possible, while their psychotic execs sing jolly songs in depressing tones.
Well they pay whatever keeps people working there. The employees lost nothing from this merger and had nothing to do with it and nothing is different for them than it was before. This is literally getting upset that some people made money and didn't give it away.

Well they pay whatever keeps people working there. The employees lost nothing from this merger and had nothing to do with it and nothing is different for them than it was before. This is literally getting upset that some people made money and didn't give it away.
No, they pay whatever their government tells them to at a bare minimum. If they could pay less they would.

No, they pay whatever their government tells them to at a bare minimum. If they could pay less they would.
If they could pay nothing they would, obviously, but nobody would work there. If I could get groceries from them for free I would, but I can't so I pay what they charge. Again, the employees weren't abducted and forced to work there and they lost nothing from the merger.

Who gets bothered by this? The man just made a lot of money, I presume.

Are the workers getting screwed or something? This is the UK so I genuinely don't know.

If it's anything like here in Canada where Sobey's bought out Safeway, it's the consumers who get the shaft.

They basically closed all the stores that were competing with each other which means either the grocery store near your house closed, or it stayed open but the prices increased since there's no more competition.

The Safeway a block from our house closed which sucked, but we just drive over to the Walmart now. The people I feel bad for are all the old ladies who live in the condo complex right next to the Safeway as they clearly chose that spot due to its vicinity to the Safeway. It also killed the rest of that strip mall pretty much. My wife knows a couple of women who worked at that Safeway and they both got transferred to stores further from their houses which they weren't happy about either.

Calgary especially is starting to look more and more like depressed areas of the states with large retail spaces sitting empty.

Ugh, talk about some of the absolute worst people in the world.

Back