Charlo is Canelo's Mandatory?

To me Charlo is a threat to Canelo,
What do you make of vs trout?

I agree 110%.

Trout lost to both the Charlos? I'm thinking you may have meant Jermell v Hurd? If not, I'm confused on the question --it's been a long day. lol

Is Charlo really an option? Isnt he with Haymon?

It's a legitimate point, but if he fights a guy like Jacobs, he shouldn't. Canelo showed an incredible amount against Golovkin, but he still doesn't cut the ring well, and a guy like Jacobs moves quite well. Canelo beats Jacobs by being the boxer-puncher that he is and countering him when he gets wild. I think Canelo likely does beat Jacobs now, but Canelo doesn't do it pretending he's Julio Cesar Chavez (Sr., of course).
I agree...And TBH, Jacobs hasn't to me shown he has devastating power to cancel Canelo, He took all of GGG's stuff. And skill wise he's not better at this pont....I'd like to see @RR' s point.

Because Lemieux can punch
but he'll be hitting nothing but air if he fights canelo, and then he'll be put to sleep. all the punching power in the world doesn't help you if you can't land your punches.

i expect this to go the canelo vs kirkland route, minus the punches kirkland actually landed.

I agree 110%.

Trout lost to both the Charlos? I'm thinking you may have meant Jermell v Hurd? If not, I'm confused on the question --it's been a long day. lol
It's my wording, in that fight Charlo's vaunted height didnt really matter he was getting hit by well placed shots, I get the sense Canelo has more pop than Trout.

Granted never devasting power

It's my wording, in that fight Charlo's vaunted height didnt really matter he was getting hit by well placed shots, I get the sense Canelo has more pop than Trout.

Granted never devasting power

Fair assessment, Charlo traded with him. Won a decision still. It won't be pretty against Canelo, but I still think Charlo goes in with the physical advantage. This will be visible once they enter the ring. Charlo has reach, he has punching power.

The punch I will be looking to see if he can employ would be his uppercut. He has had success with it, and it's stiff. Why the uppercut? If Canelo changes level to get himself into range throw the uppercut to stand him back up. He says he looked up to Hearns, well, if he fights like him I'm giving it to Charlo.

He needs to keep Canelo on the end of his punches. I don't like the way he looks too much on the inside. I think his punches get smothered, I do not want to see him on the inside with Alvarez.....at all.

In any case, get him the fight if he's the mandatory. Everything else sounds like noise.

Canelo is the favourite but I'd still much rather see it over a fight with Lemieux.

It’ll be a much better boxing match. But Canelo/Lemieux will be a barn burner until it ends in the 4th or 5th round.

That's why I'd like to see that one 1st.

Lemieux only comes forward in straight lines. Canelo eats up guys like that, like Kirkland. Lemieux is bigger and has his head on a little straighter so he’ll last awhile. But he’s going to get ripped up faster than he did against Gennady. Golovkin took his time boxing, it’s not really his thing to stand in the pocket and counter. That’s what Canelo excels at and David will walk his way into a faster stoppage.

Is Charlo really an option? Isnt he with Haymon?
1) it's a mandatory so it would only matter if they didn't want to do a purse bid but a 75/25 is really the best Charlo could hope for anyways and 2) I don't believe either Charlo have a promoter right now, they let Haymon advise them but they don't have a promoter hence why they haven't been promoted.

Lemieux only comes forward in straight lines. Canelo eats up guys like that, like Kirkland. Lemieux is bigger and has his head on a little straighter so he’ll last awhile. But he’s going to get ripped up faster than he did against Gennady. Golovkin took his time boxing, it’s not really his thing to stand in the pocket and counter. That’s what Canelo excels at and David will walk his way into a faster stoppage.
All the tools Canelo has throwing the kitchen sink in will be fun to watch.

In a 160lbs. fantasy world, I would like to see Canelo/Charlo, Canelo/Lemieux, Canelo/Jacobs and Canelo/Murata...then a third match with GGG. Fuck BJS.

1) it's a mandatory so it would only matter if they didn't want to do a purse bid but a 75/25 is really the best Charlo could hope for anyways and 2) I don't believe either Charlo have a promoter right now, they let Haymon advise them but they don't have a promoter hence why they haven't been promoted.

I heard they came out the gate with promoter being an issue. I don't blame them, Floyd showed the blueprint for being your own boss. Everybody is trying to brand themselves, and cut out the middle man. Can't be mad at it for that reason.

All this talk about charlo punching power and this being an advantage versus canelo...he just fought GGG???????

All this talk about charlo punching power and this being an advantage versus canelo...he just fought GGG???????

My take: His punching power isn't the issue. For me it's again his height, and reach, accompanied with the fact that he can punch. Charlo has a good jab. He keeps Canelo on the outside coming in if he uses it right. Canelo changes levels to get to the body? Charlo has a stiff uppercut to stand him up tall again. Charlo cuts off the ring and moves well from what I've seen; GGG followed Canelo. He has every physical attribute he would need to reasonably beat Canelo, if he uses them.

There are things to consider, Canelo has the experience, Canelo can move very well, Canelo can crack, Canelo kills him on the inside. Do I think Charlo will win? I don't know. Do I want him to win? I'm leaning towards yes. Do I want them to put respect on the contender's bracket and give people what they earned? Absolutely yes. If they don't give him the fight, I will lose a little respect for the sport.

Charlo was in talks of being GGG's mandatory, stepped aside and let him and Canelo do their thing. If they come up with another reason why he doesn't get his shot at whoever is holding the WBC (Canelo), then I lose respect for the sport. Same with GGG, and that Ward incident. You won't meet Ward somewhere to fight, but you'll spark a Welterweight in Brooks? Things like that I don't like. My take.

Not sure why people are bringing up punching power. You dont need punching power to beat Canelo. Floyd and Lara being examples.

Not sure why people are bringing up punching power. You dont need punching power to beat Canelo. Floyd and Lara being examples.

A lot of people think Lara won the fight. Canelo won, so, hey it doesn't matter beyond that to me. I personally bring up punching power because it keeps people off of you. A tall lanky puncher should beat a short one. Tommy Hearns showed us what sparking people from a distance looks like.

Let's say it like this, if McGregor had enough punching power, Floyd wouldn't have walked him down like that.

If Charlo had no power I would in no way shape or form give him a chance with Alvarez. I do not, DO NOT like his inside game. I think he gets excited, and smothers himself. He loses his distance. That is my take. He's the professional, and the expert on what he wants to do in there. lol He might see it different.

Back