Chasing Mediocrity

deckingdutchman

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The END:

I'm discontinuing my log. I don't think from this point on it will be useful to anyone here.

But, I've accomplished my goal. I've achieved mediocrity.

When I started this log I was in constant back pain, and left shoulder, and right elbow, and intermittent knee pain. It was the result of both overuse and a bunch of old injuries I had never fully rehabbed.

Now I feel great, strong, and more capable of working within my limits to avoid aggravating stuff at work.

I've gained a LOT more strength than this log demonstrates, just for reference I was showing my gf how to bent over row, and I comfortably rowed what I happened to have on the bar (240). I'm 6'3" and 260lbs and

I haven't lost any weight, but that wasn't really my goal. I had it in mind a side goal because I thought it would help me feel better.

What I can now do, is pick up a heavy ass pump and line it up on a shaft at an odd angle and not hurt myself. I can jump out of bed without having to be careful. I don't pop my SI joint out of place trying to wipe my ass. I can jerk off without my elbow hurting. It's the little shit lol.

My lifting hasn't been consistent (it was for a period), but I'm also very active at work and have tried to respond to what my body needed.

From this point on, my lifting will just be once or twice a week doing random shit I feel like. I have no interest in getting any stronger. I'm strong enough for my daily life, and have no dream of being the strongest man in the world or anything like that. I have other hobbies that I dedicate my time to trying to get good at (rallycross racing mainly, also play competitive chess) and have no need for another pursuit at this time.

I consider this a success. Hopefully this log can demonstrate to anyone else who is feeling beat up and hurting that careful weightlifting can rebuild ligament and joint strength. When I started, I wasn't sure if I'd ever feel good again.

Original Post:

Getting back into lifting after a looooong lay off. Have a barbell and 300lbs of bumper plates, no rack or anything else.

Goals: Get down to around 205, OHP my bodyweight, deadlift 2xBW.

Going to be doing the following to start with:

Day 1
Deadlift 3x5
BOR 3x5
Floor Press 3x5

Day 2
Power Clean 5x3
Front Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5

I''ll be doing some mobility work/stretching after I lift.

The long story:

I'm 27, 6'3", and about 250. I was very active all through my teens until I was 21. Muay Thai, weightlifting, hiking, all sorts of stuff. I started working as an oil field diver at that point, and did that for 4.5 years. I was gone from home half the time stuck on oil rigs and boats, and on some jobs worked stupidly long days with inadequate nutrition. I initially tried to stay on top of my lifting, but with the inevitable loss of progress due to my work I got frustrated with it and stopped. While I was diving, I had no major injuries (couple broken fingers and things like that but nothing lasting). Got sick of being gone all the time, so when I was 25 I stopped and moved back to Seattle. Got a job working for a marine hydraulics shop, and now I fix cranes and other hydraulic equipment on boats. The job is still physically demanding (swinging 20lb sledgehammers against steel pins, dragging 200lb pumps of and down drydocks, lot of climbing on cranes, etc), but nothing like the pace of my old job. However, over the last few years I've accumulated some injuries, the most significant ones being a grade two ligament tear by my left SI joint, and a grade 2 right elbow radial ligament tear. There's a bunch of other aches and pains related to improper/over use, but those are the big ones. Ever since the SI joint sprain (a little over a year ago) the left side of my back hasn't been as strong as it used to be. I believe the injury is mostly/completely healed, but the surrounding musculature just never strengthened back up to where it was. Same story with the elbow, though it was more recent (9 months ago) and is still a it uncomfortable from time to time but it's definitely improving. I'm not terribly weak, can still BP my bodyweight (or close to it) and comfortably do pullups. However, I think I'm developing all kinds of imbalances and stiffness because while I do plenty of heavy lifting at work, it's always at weird angles and usually not for a full range of motion. I've also gotten a bit heavier than I'd like. I don't mind from an aesthetics standpoint, and while not lean I'm definitely not obese, but I think being a little lighter would help my knees/back out quite a bit in the long run. Thus, I've decided to start back with a basic lifting split, I'm going to start light and progressively increase weight, and hopefully my weak spots will catch up to the rest of me and I will regain some muscle balance and mobility. I don't have any goals in the upper echelons of athletics, would just like to feel a little better. The goals I set are just to have some numbers to chase.

Last edited:
First workout back was yesterday, 9/1.

Deadlift
3x5x135

BOR
3x5x135

Floor Press
3x5x135

Everything felt fine, will go up to 155 across the board next time. Nothing was heavy, just easing back into it. Did notice the left side of my back (erector mainly) was working significantly harder then the right when staying symmetrical on deads and bors. Nothing unexpected. Went underhand grip on the rows, will stick with that for the time being.

Power Clean
5x3x95

Front Squat
3x5x95

OHP
3x5x95

Rack position was a little iffy, think my triceps are a bit tight. Can only keep two fingers under the bar when front squatting without dropping my elbows. Also, my right adductor seems a bit tight, was kind of stingy/crampy after the front squats. Is it sad that the OHPs were by far the easiest? lol

Deadlift
3x5x145

BOR
3x5x145

Floor Press
3x5x145

Working on nailing deadlift form again. I tend to start with my hips a little low. Felt my elbow a little on BORs, but not in a bad way. Floor press was cake, I think I could 30 rep that weight. Strange how my pressing strength seems to be what I lost the least of.

Power Clean
5x3x115

Front Squat
3x5x115

OHP
2x5x115
1x3x115

Workout was fine. Right adductor still a little tight on the front squats, but a lot better than last time. Cleans are cake weight-wise, but my form is still a bit inconsistent. On the reps where I'm nailing the timing just right, the bar blows way up above my face without any additional effort. It's happening about 1 out or 3 reps, just gotta get more consistent with them. Crapped out on OHP. Gonna keep weight the same across the board next time to try to clean those things up a little.

Also I actually stood on the scale for the first time in months and I got fatter than I realized; 261. Not sure if I should start cutting aggressively now or wait a few months to get used to the strength training again.

Last edited:
Power Clean
5x3x125

Front Squat
3x5x125

OHP
3x5x115

I'm wondering if I should knock my power cleans down to 3 sets of 3. Since I don't have a rack, I'm also basically doing 6 singles for my other lifts.

Deadlift
3x5x165

BOR
3x5x165

Floor Press
3x5x165

Due to my lack of small plates, I'll be going up to 185 next time. Deadlift will still be cake, but we'll see if I can get all my reps on the Floor Presses/BORs.

Power Clean
2x3x135
1x2x135 (+failed rep)
1x1x135

Front Squat
2x5x115
1x6x115 (+ failed rep)

OHP
1x5x115
1x4x115 (+ failed rep)

Crap workout, just wasn't there mentally. Felt like I didn't have the focus to complete reps when they started getting hard.

Deadlift
3x5x185

BOR
2x5x165
1x12x165

Floor Press
2x5x165
1x11x165

No issues. Trying to be patient upping the weight on deadlifts, but it still feels like a warm up weight. Just want to do every rep perfect and symmetrically to fully rehab my old tweaks/weak spots and keep working up. For some odd reason the tendon on the front left of my neck (running up and down next to my adam's apple) feels a bit strained on floor presses, been playing with head position to no avail.

Power Clean
3x3x135

Front Squat
1x4x135 (+1 fail)
1x12x95 (+1 fail)

OHP
3x5x125

Didn't go so good. I suck at front squats, apparently. I can literally OHP more than I can front squat. Was going for 3 sets with 135, but after I failed on the first one I just did a back off set. Also my right wrist started bugging me pretty good during that first work set of front squats, and when I went to do the second set I couldn't get back into rack position without pain so I just used the arms crossed grip for the other set. Also, I'm struggling to catch cleans in the rack position, I tend to catch them with my arms and then move them back. Gotta work on that. With how far behind my front squats are, I wonder if I should program them in every day. Might switch to something like front squat/ohp/dead on day one, and front squat/floor press/bor on day two. Would still be doing some cleans to get the weight up off the floor obviously.

Power Clean
3x3x145

OHP
1x3x145
2x10x115

Didn't do front squats cause my wrist is still bugging me from last time, was getting pretty bad towards the end of power cleans.

Deadlift
3x5x205

BOR
3x5x185

Floor Press
3x5x195

Front Squat
1x10x95
1x5x95

Wrist felt okay, added front squats at the end... I front squat like a little bitch. Idk what it is lol, I blow at em. I know if I keep going as I do it should balance out, but I'm tempted to drop everything else and just front squat every day. I'm fairly confident I can curl what I can front squat. Anyone else have this issue? Is it a tall guy thing or just a noob thing?

Changing things up, gonna start a PTTP style routine. Should've done this earlier, but went and found all my old paper training logs and found I've made the most progress like this in the past. So I'm gonna roll with it. Also picked up a couple 2.5 and 5 lb plates (smallest I had before was 10s)

OHP
5x45
3x95
1x105
5x115
5x105

Deadlift
5x95
3x135
1x160
5x175
5x160

Gonna run the same weight every day this week to get used to the frequency. Next week I'll start ramping up weight/cycling. Gonna start logging warmup sets too

OHP
5x45
3x95
1x105
5x115
5x105

Deadlift
5x95
3x135
1x160
5x175
5x160

Felt fine, little harder than doing the same yesterday but that was expected. Also started doing the one bar warmup (google it if you're unfamiliar, from an old t-nation arcticle) again a few workouts ago and I'm finding all my tight spots lol. Definitely feel my left SI joint (the one I sprained last year), and also my left hip flexors and right elbow/shoulder afterwards.

OHP
5x45
3x95
1x105
5x115
5x105

Deadlift
5x95
3x135
1x160
5x175
5x160

Did a very minimal warmup, was short on time. I'm noticing my lower back feeling very fatigued when swapping plates during deadlifts. Maybe I'm rounding just a little coming out of the hole, but am attempting to stay tight. Will keep working on mobility and maybe add a belt on my work sets, in the past I've noticed wearing a belt helps remind me to keep my core right. Also my everything is starting to get fairly sore, especially my traps.

OHP
5x45
5x95
5x105

Deadlift
3x5x105

Took it a little lighter today. Got a sudden sharp pain in my left si joint last night. It was stiff in the morning and improved throughout the day. It didn't hurt when lifting at all, but I didn't want to push it. Also didn't do the overhead squats part of my warm up. Will be back up to full speed tomorrow, then the weekend off and going to start light and ramp up.

OHP
5x45
3x95
1x105
5x115
5x105

Deadlift
5x95
3x135
1x160
5x175
5x160

Yesterday turned into a 16 hour day at work, so did my lifts this morning. Monday going to start at 100 for main set on OHP, and 135 on deads, and go up 5 lbs a day on OHP and 10 lbs a day on deads. Goal is to keep that up at least 10 workouts, mon-fri for two weeks. Also belt on my two work sets helped.

Back