cheap versaclimbers

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
my old gym use to have a versa climber and i loved it most gyms i go to now dont have them sadly the cost of a real versa from there websites are into the thousands i found a cheap one from walmart for 150 i was curious if its a pos or do you think it will be fine for conditioning as a tool to help me or should i not waste money on this?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxiClim...75035&wl11=online&wl12=45913007&wl13=&veh=sem

I'd take a pass on Walmart fitness equipment unless it's weights or something. I remember my mother bought a treadmill from Walmart when I was a teenager and I broke it the first or second week we had it from jogging on it. I don't even think I was 190 pounds at the time.

You can do the exact same movement on the ground for free. It's called a leopard crawl. Movement of opposite limbs exactly like a versa climber. The only adjustment you'd have to make it going forwards and back in a small amount of space, but you can also do it in circles or sideways for variety. When the weather is nice doing it outside is an option. It is a very humbling movement. This will work muscles that a versa climber will not, in addition to conditioning benefits.

reason i liked the versa climber is u could rest on it too hold my head down as im going too idk we use to have it at one of my old gyms and i thought was a great tool

I'd take a pass on Walmart fitness equipment unless it's weights or something. I remember my mother bought a treadmill from Walmart when I was a teenager and I broke it the first or second week we had it from jogging on it. I don't even think I was 190 pounds at the time.

You can do the exact same movement on the ground for free. It's called a leopard crawl. Movement of opposite limbs exactly like a versa climber. The only adjustment you'd have to make it going forwards and back in a small amount of space, but you can also do it in circles or sideways for variety. When the weather is nice doing it outside is an option. It is a very humbling movement. This will work muscles that a versa climber will not, in addition to conditioning benefits.

That dude has the weirdest dimensions, but that's not his fault. He keeps talking about babies though and the way he does the crawls are not how I would do them. I don't see the rationale for keeping your head up exaggerated like that. Yes, I know babies do that, but it doesn't make sense for someone who is not a baby to do it. Babies have entirely different proportions, also, they have to keep their head up to see where they are going as he says. Thing is we stop crawling at the age of like 1½.

Posture wise it doesn't make sense either. Sure as a mobility drill maybe, but he's using the crawl as a stability drill in regards to his hips and core. Funny, babies don't keep their hips stable when they crawl though.

Anyone who markets this baby nonsense instantly sounds like an idiot.

Not saying he couldn't give good advice on some things, his mention of how important breathing is that I saw in another video was good, but he does seem like he doesn't entirely know what he's talking about.

TS, can't help on the climber, but if you want crawl variations (it's not the same I know), then this vid has some good ones:

That dude has the weirdest dimensions, but that's not his fault. He keeps talking about babies though and the way he does the crawls are not how I would do them. I don't see the rationale for keeping your head up exaggerated like that. Yes, I know babies do that, but it doesn't make sense for someone who is not a baby to do it. Babies have entirely different proportions, also, they have to keep their head up to see where they are going as he says. Thing is we stop crawling at the age of like 1½.

Posture wise it doesn't make sense either. Sure as a mobility drill maybe, but he's using the crawl as a stability drill in regards to his hips and core. Funny, babies don't keep their hips stable when they crawl though.

Anyone who markets this baby nonsense instantly sounds like an idiot.

Not saying he couldn't give good advice on some things, his mention of how important breathing is that I saw in another video was good, but he does seem like he doesn't entirely know what he's talking about.

TS, can't help on the climber, but if you want crawl variations (it's not the same I know), then this vid has some good ones:

No need to throw out the baby with the bath water (zing). There is a lot more to it than you've seen in a few videos.

The objective of Original Strength is to do what they call "resets" - basically get your body back to the original state. As people go through life most have issues with posture and movement often as early as four and five years old because of lack of movement. Essentially with Original Strength you are revisiting movement from the beginning using five primary resets (diaphragmatic breathing; neck nods; rolling; rocking and crawling) as a baby would. There are progressions and regressions for every reset. Doing leopard crawls or Spider-man crawls would be an example of progressions from baby crawling. You an make these movements as tough as you want.

Keeping your head up as a baby with the baby crawling example, helps your posture and reflexive strength - which we can all likely have lost from not crawling. Posture and curvature in the spine is also developed through crawling. Crawling is also the foundation of our gait pattern. You learn to crawl before you walk and run. There is nothing wrong with revisiting these movements that most of us haven't done in decades.

When I crawl, I typically crawl the length of a football field, weather permitting. I have not had issues with my neck since I have crawled with my head upright. I had problems for 15 years due to a car accident. The bear crawls and other movements where they do not hold their head up, is a wasted opportunity to work on your reflexive strength and posture together.

I had my mother visiting one time and she saw me doing the leopard crawl and I suggested she try doing a baby crawl (regression). She was unable to crawl with her head up in her 60's. She has no obvious mobility issues, but that stands out as something she should be able to do (which she can by focusing on some other resets).

Before writing off "baby nonsense" if you need a professional endorsement, I think I'd trust the the strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton of the Cincinnati Bengals in the NFL that uses OS in his program with elite athletes. He has been their coach for 14 years and likely has seen everything under the sun. OS must have made an impression if he incorporated it into the Bengals exercise program.

Try baby crawling forward and backwards with a contra-lateral movement or try leopard crawling. Both with your head up. Give it 10 minutes and see what you think before writing it off. Costs nothing.

This is a good interview if you want to know more about the benefits of crawling than what I listed:

Last edited:
Another movement that I totally slipped my mind @ tekkenfan is doing marching. It has the exact same contra lateral movement as the versa climber (opposite limbs working together) and again....Free.

No resting!

No need to throw out the baby with the bath water (zing). There is a lot more to it than you've seen in a few videos.

The objective of Original Strength is to do what they call "resets" - basically get your body back to the original state. As people go through life most have issues with posture and movement often as early as four and five years old because of lack of movement. Essentially with Original Strength you are revisiting movement from the beginning using five primary resets (diaphragmatic breathing; neck nods; rolling; rocking and crawling) as a baby would. There are progressions and regressions for every reset. Doing leopard crawls or Spider-man crawls would be an example of progressions from baby crawling. You an make these movements as tough as you want.

Keeping your head up as a baby with the baby crawling example, helps your posture and reflexive strength - which we can all likely have lost from not crawling. Posture and curvature in the spine is also developed through crawling. Crawling is also the foundation of our gait pattern. You learn to crawl before you walk and run. There is nothing wrong with revisiting these movements that most of us haven't done in decades.

When I crawl, I typically crawl the length of a football field, weather permitting. I have not had issues with my neck since I have crawled with my head upright. I had problems for 15 years due to a car accident. The bear crawls and other movements where they do not hold their head up, is a wasted opportunity to work on your reflexive strength and posture together.

I had my mother visiting one time and she saw me doing the leopard crawl and I suggested she try doing a baby crawl (regression). She was unable to crawl with her head up in her 60's. She has no obvious mobility issues, but that stands out as something she should be able to do (which she can by focusing on some other resets).

Before writing off "baby nonsense" if you need a professional endorsement, I think I'd trust the the strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton of the Cincinnati Bengals in the NFL that uses OS in his program with elite athletes. He has been their coach for 14 years and likely has seen everything under the sun. OS must have made an impression if he incorporated it into the Bengals exercise program.

Try baby crawling forward and backwards with a contra-lateral movement or try leopard crawling. Both with your head up. Give it 10 minutes and see what you think before writing it off. Costs nothing.

This is a good interview if you want to know more about the benefits of crawling than what I listed:

I know the entire spiel. There's nothing new or revolutionary about it, it's basic stuff. I'm a physiotherapist, I know about dysfunctions.

What does reflexsive strength even mean? And when you say it corrects posture and "develops" the curvature of the spine, then can you give me the physiological or otherwise logical rational on why that is? Or is it just something that's being asserted? Another thing, saying that we naturally lose these things because we don't crawl like babies is a bit unfounded.

I'm glad you had success with it. Breathing, crawling, rolling, rocking and so on are all great tools. No doubt. Also, anyone with any sense of capability will include re- and progressions. With that said, they are some of the tools, not all of them, and not everyone will respond well to the same thing.

See the thing I don't like is religiously calling something "resets", "bodies natural state" and "back to being a baby" and all that. It's gimmicky. I see the value in a lot of the exercises, but I also see that a lot of the reasoning is flawed. That doesn't mean it can't work for you though.

In regards to neck posture, and symptomatology, it depends entirely on the underlying cause. Person A may feel fucking great over-exaggerating their cervical spine extension (especially upper cervical part) like that, while others will feel terrible. Sometimes mobility should be a priority, other times stability and many times how much, in which degrees, ranges and variations also varies. No doubt that moving your body through space, learning to improve your co-ordination, improving your mobility/stability and getting stronger will help the majority of people.

Point is, it depends on what the purpose of your training is.

Also, name dropping some NFL coach or whatever wont help, as there are plenty of other much more qualified S&C coaches with deeper resumes that teaches crawls in a variety of ways.

I'd like a little more rationale than "babies do it".

I know the entire spiel. There's nothing new or revolutionary about it, it's basic stuff. I'm a physiotherapist, I know about dysfunctions.

What does reflexsive strength even mean? And when you say it corrects posture and "develops" the curvature of the spine, then can you give me the physiological or otherwise logical rational on why that is? Or is it just something that's being asserted? Another thing, saying that we naturally lose these things because we don't crawl like babies is a bit unfounded.

I'm glad you had success with it. Breathing, crawling, rolling, rocking and so on are all great tools. No doubt. Also, anyone with any sense of capability will include re- and progressions. With that said, they are some of the tools, not all of them, and not everyone will respond well to the same thing.

See the thing I don't like is religiously calling something "resets", "bodies natural state" and "back to being a baby" and all that. It's gimmicky. I see the value in a lot of the exercises, but I also see that a lot of the reasoning is flawed. That doesn't mean it can't work for you though.

In regards to neck posture, and symptomatology, it depends entirely on the underlying cause. Person A may feel fucking great over-exaggerating their cervical spine extension (especially upper cervical part) like that, while others will feel terrible. Sometimes mobility should be a priority, other times stability and many times how much, in which degrees, ranges and variations also varies. No doubt that moving your body through space, learning to improve your co-ordination, improving your mobility/stability and getting stronger will help the majority of people.

Point is, it depends on what the purpose of your training is.

Also, name dropping some NFL coach or whatever wont help, as there are plenty of other much more qualified S&C coaches with deeper resumes that teaches crawls in a variety of ways.

I'd like a little more rationale than "babies do it".

I know you are staring out as a physiotherapist. We've chatted before about PCS.

OS defines and explains "reflexive strength" as per their website:

"Reflexive Strength is the body’s ability to anticipate, prepare, and respond to movement before and as it happens.

That is our working definition. Reflexive strength is both predicative and reactive strength. It is the foundation of everything you do. It allows you to move and express yourself physically the way you want to. Its presence is evident in poetic, flowing movement and its a sense is evident in clunky, disjointed movement. Really, reflexive strength is reflexive control – automatic control over your body in all the ways you want to move. But wait, that’s a whole other article.

Anyway, even after our definition and our explanations, some people still don’t get it. And there is nothing wrong with that! Sometimes to really own something, you have to wrestle with it for a while. That is a great way to learn and gain understanding. Marinating on subjects and thoughts is the birthing ground for knowledge and understanding.

Other times, however, you may have to let go of things or other definitions you are holding unto in order to be able to grasp something new. It is often our own definitions or beliefs that prevent us from moving forward and gaining new insight, knowledge or even perspective."

https://originalstrength.net/2017/01/09/the-definition-of-reflexive-strength/

I'm asserting the improvements in my posture from OS crawling. I don't need to know the physiology behind how something is improving my body; I'm happy that it is working and that rather than feeling more broken down as years have gone on my body feels better from crawling with my head upright. I've done my share of animal/primal movements from martial arts and dabbling with different training programs and I have not seen the same results as it relates to posture.

I never said we lose things because we are not crawling like babies. Most people suffer from lack of movement, which is being seen even in young school age children. Crawling doesn't even cover all the ranges of motion that we likely should incorporate on a regular basis. However, I will say that the "resets" (keeping w/ OS terminology) are a great way to cover a lot of ranges of motion in a very short period of time.

As far as the head posture goes with the crawling, I agree, not everyone can do it. I never said everyone should and neither do they. When I went to the OS workshop in Toronto, Tim Anderson talked about how one of the OS coaches had a woman do seated cross-crawls and she experienced improvements. She wasn't able to do any form of crawling on the ground. OS doesn't push people to do movements that cause pain. Sometimes you don't even know how hard you are working yourself until afterwards like with any exercise. I felt the need to ice my neck one of the times I did crawling in the early going when I probably overdid the duration. It didn't hurt while doing it, but my muscles were being worked in a new and unique way.

Tying this back into the versa climber thread, as a physiotherapist, do you think marching is a good alternative? I've seen some DIY options for making clubs to add to the intensity of the movement or you can simply use some empty wine bottles.

I know you are staring out as a physiotherapist. We've chatted before about PCS.

OS defines and explains "reflexive strength" as per their website:

"Reflexive Strength is the body’s ability to anticipate, prepare, and respond to movement before and as it happens.

That is our working definition. Reflexive strength is both predicative and reactive strength. It is the foundation of everything you do. It allows you to move and express yourself physically the way you want to. Its presence is evident in poetic, flowing movement and its a sense is evident in clunky, disjointed movement. Really, reflexive strength is reflexive control – automatic control over your body in all the ways you want to move. But wait, that’s a whole other article.

Anyway, even after our definition and our explanations, some people still don’t get it. And there is nothing wrong with that! Sometimes to really own something, you have to wrestle with it for a while. That is a great way to learn and gain understanding. Marinating on subjects and thoughts is the birthing ground for knowledge and understanding.

Other times, however, you may have to let go of things or other definitions you are holding unto in order to be able to grasp something new. It is often our own definitions or beliefs that prevent us from moving forward and gaining new insight, knowledge or even perspective."

https://originalstrength.net/2017/01/09/the-definition-of-reflexive-strength/

I'm asserting the improvements in my posture from OS crawling. I don't need to know the physiology behind how something is improving my body; I'm happy that it is working and that rather than feeling more broken down as years have gone on my body feels better from crawling with my head upright. I've done my share of animal/primal movements from martial arts and dabbling with different training programs and I have not seen the same results as it relates to posture.

I never said we lose things because we are not crawling like babies. Most people suffer from lack of movement, which is being seen even in young school age children. Crawling doesn't even cover all the ranges of motion that we likely should incorporate on a regular basis. However, I will say that the "resets" (keeping w/ OS terminology) are a great way to cover a lot of ranges of motion in a very short period of time.

As far as the head posture goes with the crawling, I agree, not everyone can do it. I never said everyone should and neither do they. When I went to the OS workshop in Toronto, Tim Anderson talked about how one of the OS coaches had a woman do seated cross-crawls and she experienced improvements. She wasn't able to do any form of crawling on the ground. OS doesn't push people to do movements that cause pain. Sometimes you don't even know how hard you are working yourself until afterwards like with any exercise. I felt the need to ice my neck one of the times I did crawling in the early going when I probably overdid the duration. It didn't hurt while doing it, but my muscles were being worked in a new and unique way.

Tying this back into the versa climber thread, as a physiotherapist, do you think marching is a good alternative? I've seen some DIY options for making clubs to add to the intensity of the movement or you can simply use some empty wine bottles.
Yeah it's what I thought, "reflexive strength" is just an umbrella term they've created which covers a lot of subcategories of the muscular and neurological functions. It's basicly your reponsiveness to changing demands. It's basicly the same as "functional strength". Doesn't really tell the whole story, but it sounds good.

Yeah I know that you feel better after doing it. I can see why that is, as I said, lot's of what I've seen looks like decent principles (some that I use myself). Sometimes proof definitely is in the pudding, and I'm not an evidence freak, for the sake of evidence. I feel like you can review litterature all you want and have first class evidence to back up your training method, and still it falls apart if you don't know how to modulate it to the individual, or put it in context.

What I'm saying is, that your proof that it helps posture is because you sense, or experience that it has helped yours. That's fine. If you make a claim that it helps posture as a rule, I'd like to hear what the reasoning behind that is. If we're talking about people with pain, then I know for a fact that there is no one size fits all, and with neck pain it's infinitely more true (not to mention the complexity of the pain matrix, but I wont go into that). If you go further and say that the curvature of the spine is developed through crawling, now I need some real bio-physiology to back it up.

Yes, the baby thing is pure nonsense. That doesn't mean that crawling like a baby or whatever wont work for you or be a good exercise for many people, but the idea the way a babys body functions and moves is the way ours should is nonsense. Dean Sommerset wrote a short article about it a few years back with the whole "squat like a baby" craze: http://deansomerset.com/adults-cant-squat-like-babies-stop-trying/

I listened to a little bit of the interview vid, and here is where I have a huge problem with that dude. At about 17:38 on, he says that crawling is a neurological reset. What does that mean? In what way is that a neurological "reset"? That doesn't make any sense, and he doesn't explain why that is. He goes on to say that you use both hemispheres and making new neural connections. Well.. that's true, but that's true for basicly all movements we do. Has nothing to do with crawling, it's not magical. In fact, if you want to talk about motor learning and stimulating cognition, then crawling is like at the bottom of the list as a gross motor skill. Go play tennis or something and you'll use your brain capacity tenfold. Then he starts talking about it improving your memory and emotional stability and all sorts of shit which is a huge leap. It's all about the input in the brain and the stimuli, and crawling as one is extremely basic. Goes back to the baby nonsense again, as it's some untapped fountain of youth or something. His rationale for "reflexive strength without thinking" is just "it does this". That's it. Also, how is that different from doing a million other exercises.

It's gimmicky. I know exactly what mechanism he's talking about, the thing is I know them in depth and it doesn't seem like the does from the very vapid explanations and over simplifications.

Again, now that I've shit on something you clearly like and that has worked well for you (sorry bout that), I'll say that I still believe that he teaches a lot of good stuff and I'm glad that you found relief with it. Also, good that they have alternatives and don't force people to do it their way, if pain is present. I can seperate the good from the not so good, I'm sure I could learn from some stuff the program too.

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the question in my ranting. Versaclimber and marching are very different. Marching your lifting with your legs, versa your pushing, marching your lifting up with your arms, versa your pulling down. The energy demands are also very different in responds to the load, versaclimber is very easily anerobic possibly with a huge lactace buildup. Marching, not so much, although the clubs would definitely give you a shoulder workout.

Marching is fine, I like skipping better personally but they are in the same familiy. Not a simular experience to the versaclimber though.

Last edited:
Back