Chicago Suburbs...Need recommendation for BJJ classes.

Kaipo4481

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback/recommendations from those of you who are training or who have trained at some of these BJJ schools. I'm looking to sign up my 5 year old son (I would like to start classes as well)...I'm located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.....Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FLOMMA (Palatine) - BJJ currently headed by Lyndon Viter (ties to Dino Costeas - POW)..

Champion Jiu Jitsu (Arlington Heights) - Prof. Harvard (never heard of him).

MTC (Midwest Training Center - Schaumburg, IL). Not sure if they offer a kids BJJ class, and the website doesn't list the BJJ instructor.

Threshold Martial Arts (Des Plaines) - Head instructor - Bill Shimuk (ties to Pedro Sauer). Offers kids classes...

NewBreed BJJ (Niles) - Head instructor - Mark Vives (heard great things about this school)

Comprido BJJ (Bloomingdale) - Comprido's new BJJ school.

Carlson Gracie (Schaumburg) - New Carlson Gracie Affiliated gym....

Curran's is a little to far (Crystal Lake)...

NewBreed BJJ (Niles) - Head instructor - Mark Vives (heard great things about this school)

I can't say enough good things about New Breed. Great facilities, top level instruction, and real team-oriented environment. You should check out a couple of places to find the right fit for you, but I would definitely put New Breed on the shortlist.

New Breed is an awesome gym with a HUGE amount of mat space. I'd suggest checking them out, or if you can make it, making a visit to Team Curran.

I would go to New breed out of those choices. Mark Vives is an active competitor who loves bjj. There are some blackbelts that lose that love for bjj, he doesn't appear to be on of those. Does Comprido's school have a website up? I didn't even know he has his own school.

I lived in Lombard and trained at Force BJJ in Burr Ridge for a while. Had a great experience there, but it's probably a little far south for you.

Where exactly do you live? You're listing schools that range from Crystal Lake to Niles to Bloomingdale. That's a pretty large triangle.

I'd cut Harvard out of that list, and I can't speak to Midwest Training center or that guy at FLO. All those other places seem viable, though.

You’re talking a pretty large area there. I’d narrow it down, especially with the way traffic has gotten the last few years. And I’d avoid Assou Harvard.

The BJJ coach in Carlson Gracie Schaumburg is Isaac Riggs, a black belt under Leo Dalla. He is an awesome instructor, one of the guys I train with when I am visiting the city. He also continues to train with the whole network of Carlson Gracie guys in Chicago. I think that continued training adds a significant level of ability to a black belt instructor.

The places you've listed are far away from each other. Where do you live?

Kaipo -

Definitely check out all of the gyms you mentioned. They're all great places to train and I'm sure each gym has something a little different that will definitely appeal to you.

As far as driving distance goes, it seems like you may live somewhere in the Mount Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Wheeling, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights area.

If so, just to give you an idea, you're definitely closest to FLOMMA. Depending on traffic, it could take up to 30 minutes to get to Comprido's, 45 minutes, to get to Crystal Lake, and 35 to Niles.

I take 12 (Rand) to Oakton to get to Niles, it's about 35 minutes door to door and I live in Wheeling. Not a bad drive.

Either way, try it all out and please don't hesitate to stop by Niles, we would be more than happy to have you and your child come train -- even if you settle on another place to train.

-- Mark

MTC (Midwest Training Center - Schaumburg, IL). Not sure if they offer a kids BJJ class, and the website doesn't list the BJJ instructor.

If anyone has more info about these three specifically, that they could post here or PM me, I'd be appreciative (more than what you find on the websites).

I live within a mile of MTC, but it's probably my third choice, of those 3

Anyone got info on Comprido's school pricing wise? (was actually going to enroll @ Flo, right before he left them)

Likewise for Carlson's @ Schaumburg (roughly equi-distant from me as Comprido's)

I appreciate the info from everyone...I live on the north/east side of Mount Prospect (near River/Euclid). FlO would be a straight shot down Euclid towards Palatine (30 minutes with traffic) and NewBreed would be right down Milwaukee (probably 20-30 minutes).

I listed Curran's and Comprido's new gym just to see if anyone had any experience training there (two names that are well respected in the BJJ community). Both schools are obviously a bit far for a Monday -Friday 5pm kids class, but maybe a weekend class could be possible..I don't believe Comprido's new gym has had a 'grand opening' yet, but it's located in the Stratford square mall...I've trained at Hackney's Combat (Roselle) before, but they're more of an MMA gym and they don't offer a BJJ/Gi class.

As I mentioned in the previous post, this will be a school for my son as well, and hopefully a school that he will be a part of for a long long time..Thanks

I've trained at a LOT of the bjj gyms in and around Chicago and if I were you, I'd training at New Breed.

comprido's school obviously, if you want to be serious about competing

Personally, I’d go with checking out schools closer to you. I’ve seen dudes from far away sign up and they just get burned out from the travel. And Isaac Riggs rules. Won the black belt masters absolute at the Dallas Open last year.

I would read up very carefully on Assou Harvard. there's a lot of controversy surrounding his legitimacy.

I'm looking for some feedback/recommendations from those of you who are training or who have trained at some of these BJJ schools. I'm looking to sign up my 5 year old son (I would like to start classes as well)...I'm located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.....Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FLOMMA (Palatine) - BJJ currently headed by Lyndon Viter (ties to Dino Costeas - POW)..

Champion Jiu Jitsu (Arlington Heights) - Prof. Harvard (never heard of him).

Threshold Martial Arts (Des Plaines) - Head instructor - Bill Shimuk (ties to Pedro Sauer). Offers kids classes...

Curran's is a little to far (Crystal Lake)...

In my opinion this is an easy one.... Comprido BJJ. Rodrigo Comprido is a 7x World Champion and a great dude. I am sure it has the highest level on BJJ in the area.

Back