China expanding surveillance state is a dream come true for true power and utopia

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
Think how more easily they can crush resistance and reshape and reform there population. western counttries cia dream of this

únacceptable´chating, sharing, etc will become or is a crime. wow

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/surveillance-03302018111415.html/ampRFA

By 2020, China will have completed its nationwide facial recognition and surveillance network, achieving near-total surveillance of urban residents, including in their homes via smart TVs and smartphones. According to the official Legal Dailynewspaper, the 13th Five Year Plan requires 100 percent surveillance and facial recognition coverage and total unification of its existing databases across the country.

Authorities in the southwestern province of Sichuan reported in December that they had completed the installation of more than 40,000 surveillance cameras across more than 14,000 villages as part of the "Sharp Eyes" nationwide surveillance network, the paper said. Guangdong-based Bell New Vision Co. is developing the nationwide "Sharp Eyes" platform that can link up public surveillance cameras and those installed in smart devices in the home, to a nationwide network for viewing in real time by anyone who is given access.

"Sharp Eyes" comes from a ruling Chinese Communist Party slogan, "the people have sharp eyes," which traditionally relied on the eyes and ears of local neighborhood committees to keep tabs on what its people were up to.

Soon, police and other officials will be able to monitor people's activities in their own homes, wherever there is an internet-connected camera. A Chinese internet user who asked to remain anonymous said the social media platform WeChat has also begun issuing warnings to anyone posting messages that the government deems undesirable.

"The internet and our smartphones have been under government surveillance for a long time already," the user said. "A friend of mine in Anhui is under surveillance, and he tried to buy a plane ticket to go overseas, but he couldn't leave the country. We can be placed under restriction or persecuted by them, or asked to 'drink tea,' [with state security police], or placed under surveillance, at any time," he said. "Overall, it feels as if we're not free at all."

https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/chinas-ever-expanding-surveillance-state/

´´Last July, authorities in Xinjiang demanded that residents install a special application on their mobile phones — Jingwang (“Clean Net”) — that scans devices for certain files like photos and videos deemed “dangerous” or overly religious and reports back to authorities. A technical audit of the app published on April 9 by the Open Technology Fund confirmed its intrusive capabilities, finding that “any user with this app installed will have every file stored on their device sent to an unknown entity for monitoring.”

While surveillance remains especially vigorous in Xinjiang, it is also expanding throughout China. This is particularly true regarding the use of facial recognition technologies, social media app monitoring, and the emerging contours of a social credit system. One artificial intelligence (AI) company, SenseTime, whose investors now include the Chinese tech giant Alibaba, has gained attention in recent weeks. Founded in Hong Kong, the firm specializes in facial recognition and has a variety of commercial clients who use its products for payment or app logins. But according to Quartz, its clientele also includes local governments and public security bureaus in places like Guangdong and Yunnan, and at least one prison in Inner Mongolia. The Washington Post reported that this type of technology was used on April 7 to catch a man suspected of “economic crimes” at a concert in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province, which had 60,000 people in attendance.

Social Media Penetration

With regard to social media apps, it has long been clear that police have unfettered access to user communications and personal details on popular services like QQ or WeChat once an investigation is opened. A newly proposed police implementation plan for last year’s Cybersecurity Law may expand that access even outside the criminal context. Meanwhile, as tech firms in China come under increased pressure to cleanse their networks and communities of “harmful” information, recent weeks have featured a spate of new cases involving users punished or interrogated by police for communications that were ostensibly shared privately with friends.

On April 3, detained activist Huang Qi filed a legal complaint claiming that Tencent, the parent company of both QQ and WeChat, had given his data and private communications to police as they attempted to build a case against him for his work related to a human rights news website. ChinaChange reported the next day that members of several politically liberal “Rose Group” chats have been questioned and threatened by police since February, as authorities seek to pressure them to abandon their online discussions. Since April 11, at least eight people involved with a WeChat group that attempted to organize support for the families of prisoners of conscience have been detained. And in a sign of how thoroughly these applications have been penetrated by the surveillance apparatus, China Digital Times published a leaked directive dated April 10 from an internet policing department in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province. It orders an investigation into an individual who criticized Chinese leader Xi Jinping in a WeChat group with only eight members. The instructions identify the person by his real name, address, and phone number, even though he used a pseudonym for the offending post.

International Impact

Individuals caught in the surveillance dragnet in China can face arbitrary detention and harsh prison sentences, among other repercussions, but the phenomenon also has effects on the wider world.

First, foreign companies operating in China or working with Chinese firms increasingly risk accusations of complicity in politicized arrests or violations of user privacy. In February, the U.S.-based note-taking app company Evernote announced that Chinese users’ data would be transferred to Tencent Cloud by mid-2018 to comply with data localization rules in the Cybersecurity Law. Airbnb recently alerted its hosts that starting on March 30, “Airbnb China may disclose your information to Chinese government agencies without further notice to you.” And in addition to Alibaba, one of the biggest investors in the AI firm SenseTime is U.S. chipmaker Qualcomm.

Second, some of these tactics and technologies are being deployed remotely against members of the Chinese, Tibetan, and Uyghur diasporas, extending the repressive reach of the Chinese Communist Party far beyond China’s borders.

Third, China’s surveillance innovations are apparently being shared with other undemocratic governments. On April 13, Reuters reported that Yitu, a Chinese AI firm and competitor of SenseTime, recently opened its first international office in Singapore, and is preparing a bid for a government surveillance project that will include facial recognition software deployed in public spaces. Last week, Nikkei reported that Yitu had supplied “wearable cameras with artificial intelligence-powered facial-recognition technology to a local law enforcement agency” in Malaysia. Both countries are rated only Partly Free in Freedom House’s global assessment of political rights and civil liberties, and their governments have a long track record of suppressing political opposition and peaceful protesters.

Rising Concern at Home and Abroad

Despite their relative secrecy, the Chinese authorities’ growing surveillance capabilities have not gone unnoticed even within China, as people become more aware of and sensitive to privacy rights. In Wuhan, artist Deng Yufeng created an art installation with the personal information of 346,000 people that he had purchased online for a mere $800 to raise awareness about the insecurity of personal data. Authorities shut down the exhibit in early April after just two days and are reportedly investigating Deng for obtaining the data, but news of the project spread through text messages and media reports, including in The Legal Daily, a state-run publication. More broadly, a recent survey found that 76.3 percent of Chinese respondents see AI as a threat to their privacy.

Internationally, the risk of surveillance has hurt Chinese tech firms’ efforts to expand to new markets. Last month, Australia’s Defense Department instructed military personnel not to use WeChat on their mobile phones due to security concerns. In the United Kingdom, the Financial Times reported on April 16 that the director of the National Cyber Security Center had sent a letter to British telecom companies warning them not to use products from Chinese supplier ZTE, as it would “present risk to U.K. national security.” More recently the United States has moved to clamp down on telecom hardware from both ZTE and Huawei, another major Chinese manufacturer.

Nevertheless, these companies will continue to grow in tandem with their most important customer, China’s surveillance state. Indeed, the regime’s voracious demand for AI policing capacity and the data it provides to train the companies’ algorithms will only render their products more effective and attractive to foreign autocrats.

In the meantime, Chinese citizens and foreigners alike would be well advised to enhance their understanding of digital security and the risks that come with exposure to Beijing’s unblinking and increasingly intrusive gaze.´´

Last edited:
And people think tyranny isn't possible in this day and age.

Still want those guns banned?

Well, at least in China, its the majority ethnic group doing this to themselves. It does not help of benefit anyone else outside of their borders.

What is: How technology ate itself.

Also, it seems more and more that we didn't need to go past the eighties.

China also fucked with male population imbalance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/world/too-many-men/?utm_term=.797f0f7c86a6
Nothing like this has happened in human history.

A combination of cultural preferences, government decree and modern medical technology in the world’s two largest countries has created a gender imbalance on a continental scale. Men outnumber women by 70 million in China and India.

“In the future, there will be millions of men who can’t marry, and that could pose a very big risk to society,” warns Li Shuzhuo, a leading demographer at Xi’an Jiaotong University.
Out of China’s population of 1.4 billion, there are nearly 34 million more males than females — the equivalent of almost the entire population of California, or Poland, who will never find wives and only rarely have sex.
u horny?
3yQejyv.png

but i'll shut up cos this is going slightly off-topic.

I lived in China last year. It is the safest country that I've ever been to. That in and of itself isn't particularly impressive, but when you factor in the fact that they have over 4 times the US population and a society with an imbalance of males, many of whom are single and many of whom have few job prospects--and you compare that to the events in America and, recently, Canada in which similarly young men have wreaked tragedy on innocent people--and the fact that their society functions at all is a goddamn miracle. Not only is it safe and functioning, but the country is thriving and has made faster economic and quality of life gains in the last few decades than any country in recorded history.

My point is that I left there with the impression that they were, in fact, far ahead of us--morally, organizationally, intellectually, competitively--in ways that we won't realize until we're far, far behind. Their success is not an accident, and anyone who looks at their system and thinks they are dumb or totalitarian or backwards is probably going to be very confused very soon.

I lived in China last year. It is the safest country that I've ever been to. That in and of itself isn't particularly impressive, but when you factor in the fact that they have over 4 times the US population and a society with an imbalance of males, many of whom are single and many of whom have few job prospects--and you compare that to the events in America and, recently, Canada in which similarly young men have wreaked tragedy on innocent people--and the fact that their society functions at all is a goddamn miracle. Not only is it safe and functioning, but the country is thriving and has made faster economic and quality of life gains in the last few decades than any country in recorded history.

My point is that I left there with the impression that they were, in fact, far ahead of us--morally, organizationally, intellectually, competitively--in ways that we won't realize until we're far, far behind. Their success is not an accident, and anyone who looks at their system and thinks they are dumb or totalitarian or backwards is probably going to be very confused very soon.

Authoritarian states have the benefit of being efficient (in terms of getting things done and playing god). That is also the drawback.

In theory the most efficient and competitive state would be completely totalitarian with a trained and obedient populous. Problem is corruption and misuse of such power, or subversion of such power by hostile entities. And then of course it will always be less desirable to those who would rather be free minded.

Huxley illustrated this idea of the efficient totalitarian system with an engineered populous quite well in Brave New World.

<23>

Damage done by Mao, high number of executions, harsh laws, political prisoners, organ harvesting, ton of pollution, poor quality of food, slave labor plus suicide nets, I could probably add a lot more.

More than three decades after pledging to “reform and open up,” there are few signs the Chinese Communist Party intends to change its authoritarian posture. Under the leadership of President Xi Jinping, who will remain in power until 2022 and possibly beyond, the outlook for fundamental human rights, including freedoms of expression, assembly, association and religion, remains dire.
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/country-chapters/china-and-tibet

Authoritarian states have the benefit of being efficient (in terms of getting things done and playing god). That is also the drawback.

In theory the most efficient and competitive state would be completely totalitarian with a trained and obedient populous. Problem is corruption and misuse of such power, or subversion of such power by hostile entities. And then of course it will always be less desirable to those who would rather be free minded.

Huxley illustrated this idea of the efficient totalitarian system with an engineered populous quite well in Brave New World.

I was never hassled by police there. Not once. I rarely even saw police. I can't say the same about America. I was free--both financially and legally--to travel in and out of China without hassle. Again, I can't say the same about America.

Again, the people who think it is a totalitarian or authoritarian state are going to be really surprised. They aren't using the model we've been told they're using. They're using a vastly superior, far more intelligent system. I think we'd be smarter to adapt it for our own purposes than criticize it, but I think Western propaganda is very powerful and most Westerners will always rationalize that our systems are better, even when the evidence very obviously says otherwise.

<23>

Damage done by Mao, high number of executions, harsh laws, political prisoners, organ harvesting, ton of pollution, poor quality of food, slave labor plus suicide nets, I could probably add a lot more.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/country-chapters/china-and-tibet

Okay. I'm just telling you what I saw and experienced. I'm not going to dissect any link you throw at me. You don't have to believe me, obviously, since you don't know me. And I'm not going to dissect any links thrown at me. But there are two things to consider: 1. Propaganda is a real thing. 2. The people who make propaganda are way smarter than you and I.

Having lived there, it was almost depressing to see how much complete nonsense we are fed about China. The vast, vast majority of the things you've heard are complete fabrication. Not, like, clever lies or twists of the truth. Completely made up.

You're not wrong, but how long before the population imbalance starts to cause issues? That's a lot of men who through no fault of their own is not gonna get laid, or get married.

Okay. I'm just telling you what I saw and experienced. I'm not going to dissect any link you throw at me. You don't have to believe me, obviously, since you don't know me. And I'm not going to dissect any links thrown at me. But there are two things to consider: 1. Propaganda is a real thing. 2. The people who make propaganda are way smarter than you and I.

Having lived there, it was almost depressing to see how much complete nonsense we are fed about China. The vast, vast majority of the things you've heard are complete fabrication. Not, like, clever lies or twists of the truth. Completely made up.
<Huh2>

Tyranny and the people that support it are so creepy.

Give examples of things we are told that are complete fabrications. You claim they are not totalitarian but all evidence we have seen says they are. They have many limit on personal freedoms. Including the right to spy on you and imprison you for having the wrong opinion.

You're not wrong, but how long before the population imbalance starts to cause issues? That's a lot of men who through no fault of their own is not gonna get laid, or get married.

Why does the imbalance have to cause issues? Are you saying there's no way they've found a solution to that particular problem?

Very odd and bold claim, considering their quality of life index ranks pretty low. I mean, if you're a fan of extreme separation of wealth and class opportunity, and are a fan of a modern caste system, then you assessment makes sense.

Back