China is leading the way in making quantum Encryption reality

Let's clear up the confusion.

The Chinese sent a near instantaneous message over hundreds of miles.

The message is sent as individual photons. They are in a state of quantum superposition. In short this means they are both zeroes and ones simultaneously until the receiver views the message. If there is an attempt to intercept message, it self destructs. The NSA cannot even break this.

That paradigm is changing as last year was the first time total US r&d spending increased while federal funding for basic dropped below 50%

Nice custom header, dude.

Yeah, that's true to a degree as federal funding has stagnated while the pharmaceutical giants and biotechnology corps in particular have upped their investment as the primary drivers of the recent trend. Speaking of the PRC and aforementioned stagnant funding, there's increasing concern the USA's hold as the world leader of bio-medical research will give way sooner rather than later. China is a ruthlessly ambitious civilization-state and they're charging from pretty much every conceivable angle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470885/

Let's clear up the confusion.

The Chinese sent a near instantaneous message over hundreds of miles.

The message is sent as individual photons. They are in a state of quantum superposition. In short this means they are both zeroes and ones simultaneously until the receiver views the message. If there is an attempt to intercept message, it self destructs. The NSA cannot even break this.

Correct. Pentagon acknowledges the achievement.

It was published in Nature back in August.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature23655

Amazing to see the work done by Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger (dayum @snakedafunky) and the boys in the first quarter of the 20th century being applied in the first of the 21st although I don't imagine Richard Feynman - probably the greatest post-WW2 physicist - had envisioned China taking the lead when he pioneered quantum computing. Things were different then, and America as a society seemed to place a higher value on science.

Nice custom header, dude.

Yeah, that's true to a degree as federal funding has stagnated while the pharmaceutical giants and biotechnology corps in particular have upped their investment as the primary drivers of the recent trend. Speaking of the PRC and aforementioned stagnant funding, there's increasing concern the USA's hold as the world leader of bio-medical research will give way sooner rather than later. China is a ruthlessly ambitious civilization-state and they're charging from pretty much every conceivable angle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470885/

China is in odd situation where its rising GDP and no real concern for wealth inequality allows for it to be aggressive with state funding RD without having to worry about allocating to other areas. It's also quasi monolithic in the sense they have to fund homegrown tech because people are apprehensive with allowing them access to technology (they also have little to no qualms about ripping off forigen patents) So they almost have to be aggressive as a necessity. They are also clandestine to an impressive degree as their national initiatives are pretty much a massive skunk works site.

Their reusable rocket program has been the proverbial "hot virgin" in my industry for years -- everyone wants to take a peak at what they've got under their skirt but she won't give it up to anyone

I guess you missed my post. #11. Check under 'hacking'. Not 'rocket science'. Well, close. Anything the Chinese can do, the Americans can do better.

Well, I have to disagree with you on the religion vs. medicine issue. Apples and oranges
It all comes down to superstition. Remember the American parents that chose the power of prayers instead of sending their sick kids to hospital? I think eating tiger penis is pretty tame in comparison.

Ok, I just noticed, you are Canadian. That explains some of your views on the U.S. The U.S. will always have the technological advantage. What we don't have at home we will bring from abroad much like the Manhattan project and the space program - Wernher von Braun. We surpassed the Russians after Gagarin and will surpass anyone if the need arises. Only excuse we need for funding is national security. Works every time, even when the threat is not real.
Like I said, it's pure hubris on your part to say you will always have the advantage. Britain was the most technologically advanced power until mid 19th century, and remained militarily strongest power on earth until WWI. They held an empire much larger than US and for far longer, and yet they suffered the same fate. Empires rise and fall, and thinking US will be different than the rest is simply American Exceptionalism clouding your judgement. In simple terms, it's wishful thinking from a nation with relatively short history.

I guess you missed my post. #11. Check under 'hacking'. Not 'rocket science'. Well, close. Anything the Chinese can do, the Americans can do better.
Misguided pride at its finest

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php?year=2015&area=3300

Peer reviewed scientific research papers published:

Chemistry:
China - 63193
US - 35610

Computer Sciences:
China - 48609
US - 41237

Engineering:
China - 120373
US - 66898

Energy:
China - 21769
US - 11321

Material Sciences:
China - 75205
US - 37954

Mathematics:
China - 33844
US - 28131

Physics and Astronomy:
China - 67402
US - 52452

http://time.com/5022859/china-most-supercomputers-world/

China now has more of the world’s most powerful computer systems than any other country, replacing the U.S as the dominant nation on the list of the planet’s 500 fastest supercomputers.

Last edited:

Can, but still have to put in the work.

I kind of loathe the PRC for a few different reasons, they're almost completely devoid of ethical practices and/or regulatory obstacles. The rather belligerent human trials they've pushed forth in genome editing via CRISPR-Cas9 is a perfect recent example of that.

Their reusable rocket program has been the proverbial "hot virgin" in my industry for years -- everyone wants to take a peak at what they've got under their skirt but she won't give it up to anyone.

There you go. White panties...

In the footsteps of SpaceX -- a Chinese company eyes development of a reusable launch vehicle.

"A Chinese startups appears to be following in the footsteps of SpaceX as it has lately laid out its own project of reusable space launch system. Link Space, the country's first private rocket company, has recently presented the design of its New Line 1 (Xin Gan Xian 1) launch vehicle, which could compete with SpaceX's Falcon 9 in the future."

Again, the Chinese are not going to reinvent the wheel. They will copy and modify what someone else has already created. In this case SpaceX.

There you go. White panties...

In the footsteps of SpaceX -- a Chinese company eyes development of a reusable launch vehicle.

"A Chinese startups appears to be following in the footsteps of SpaceX as it has lately laid out its own project of reusable space launch system. Link Space, the country's first private rocket company, has recently presented the design of its New Line 1 (Xin Gan Xian 1) launch vehicle, which could compete with SpaceX's Falcon 9 in the future."

Again, the Chinese are not going to reinvent the wheel. They will copy and modify what someone else has already created. In this case SpaceX.

More interested in their claims that they can reuse 2nd stage rockets which will able to give them a competitive edge by doing launches for 1200-1500 a kg.

He's most definitely a big proponent of American Exceptionalism, but not entirely misguided. The PRC publishes more papers in totality, but hasn't surpassed the US on high impact research. Even the QKD achievement in the OP was built almost entirely off the groundwork laid by America and Western Europe. I don't knock the hustle, but there's a lot about China that's full of shit and they've got serious advantages working in their favor, some of which have been mentioned.

... And the gap between the US and EU is larger than people think. China is behind the EU, but not for long.

Oxford Academic: European Paradox or Delusion?

The European Union (EU) seems to presume that the mass production of European research papers indicates that Europe is a leading scientific power, and the so-called European paradox of strong science but weak technology is due to inefficiencies in the utilization of this top level European science by European industry. We fundamentally disagree, and will show that Europe lags far behind the USA in the production of important, highly cited research.

We will show that there is a consistent weakening of European science as one ascends the citation scale, with the EU almost twice as effective in the production of minimal impact papers, while the USA is at least twice as effective in the production of very highly cited scientific papers, and garnering Nobel prizes. Only in the highly multinational, collaborative fields of Physics and Clinical Medicine does the EU seem to approach the USA in top scale impact.

http://www.scimagojr.com/countryrank.php?year=2015&area=3300

Peer reviewed scientific research papers published:

Chemistry:
China - 63193
US - 35610

Computer Sciences:
China - 48609
US - 41237

Engineering:
China - 120373
US - 66898

Energy:
China - 21769
US - 11321

Material Sciences:
China - 75205
US - 37954

Mathematics:
China - 33844
US - 28131

Physics and Astronomy:
China - 67402
US - 52452

http://time.com/5022859/china-most-supercomputers-world/

China now has more of the world’s most powerful computer systems than any other country, replacing the U.S as the dominant nation on the list of the planet’s 500 fastest supercomputers.
Seems resonable based on a study from 2002 that looked at IQ by country.

Rank Country IQ
hk@2x.png
Hong Kong 108
sg@2x.png
Singapore 108
kr@2x.png
South Korea 106
jp@2x.png
Japan 105
cn@2x.png
China 105
tw@2x.png
Taiwan 104
it@2x.png
Italy 102
6 Iceland 101
6 Mongolia 101
6 Switzerland 101
7 Austria 100
7 Luxembourg 100
7 Netherlands 100
7 Norway 100
7 United Kingdom 100
8 Belgium 99
8 Canada 99
8 Estonia 99
8 Finland 99
8 Germany 99
8 Poland 99
8 Sweden 99
9 Andorra 98
9 Australia 98
9 Czech Republic 98
9 Denmark 98
9 France 98
9 Hungary 98
9 Latvia 98
9 Spain 98
9 United States 98

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Like I said, it's pure hubris on your part to say you will always have the advantage.
Misguided pride at its finest.

I don't know what 'hubris' and 'pride' has to do with anything. A hate or jealousy of the United States? I have dual citizenship. I was not born in the United States. I lived in another country for many years. I can step back and look at things from an un-American perspective. You display the same kind of love-hate relationship towards the United States my foreign friends do. Americans are resilient by nature. They learn to adapt to a changing world and to world challenges. So, you think America will fall like Rome and China will be the new world leader? Yeah, Just remember the Chinese Cultural Revolution where Mao Zedong killed 78,000,000 Chinese. His own people, not even a war.

He's most definitely a big proponent of American Exceptionalism, but not entirely misguided. The PRC publishes more papers in totality, but hasn't surpassed the US on high impact research. Even the QKD achievement in the OP was built almost entirely off the groundwork laid by America and Western Europe. I don't knock the hustle, but there's a lot about China that's full of shit and they've got serious advantages working in their favor, some of which have been mentioned.
The Brits looked down upon Americans as design thieves and cheap knockoffs in the 19th century. The Chinese invented gunpowder, and yet it was the Europeans that perfected it. It was the British that developed the first steam engine and locomotive, and yet they conceded the crown of industrial might to US a century later. Simply because you laid the foundation for a revolutionary technology or design, does not mean you're the one to maximize its potential. Powers rise and fall, and US will be no different.

I don't know what 'hubris' and 'pride' has to do with anything. A hate or jealousy of the United States? I have dual citizenship. I was not born in the United States. I lived in another country for many years. I can step back and look at things from an un-American perspective. You display the same kind of love-hate relationship towards the United States my foreign friends do. Americans are resilient by nature. They learn to adapt to a changing world and to world challenges. So, you think America will fall like Rome and China will be the new world leader? Yeah, Just remember the Chinese Cultural Revolution where Mao Zedong killed 78,000,000 Chinese. His own people, not even a war.

America's legacy is already secured, dude.

From laying concrete foundations in the fields of statistical mechanics, molecular biology, quantum chemistry, quantum electrodynamics, quantum computing and nanotechnology to the invention of the transistor (arguably most significant of the 20th century) to making the vast majority of advancements and breakthroughs in human medicine. It has almost unilaterally owned - with an assist from the USSR/Russia - the realms of space science and exploration in expanding man's knowledge of the earth, solar system, galaxy, universe and our place within it.

The Brits looked down upon Americans as design thieves and cheap knockoffs in the 19th century. The Chinese invented gunpowder, and yet it was the Europeans that perfected it. It was the British that developed the first steam engine and locomotive, and yet they conceded the crown of industrial might to US a century later. Simply because you laid the foundation for a revolutionary technology or design, does not mean you're the one to maximize its potential. Powers rise and fall, and US will be no different.

They do, but it's still in a position to control it's own destiny. Too bad about Trump, eh.

its only a matter of time before we fall, that will be extremely sad. It will be even worst knowing that the chinese will be the dominate power in the world, last thing i want.

If you don't think that claiming US will always have the technological advantage was hubris, then you really don't understand the meaning of that word. Like I said, American Exceptionalism exists only in the mind of the arrogant. Rome didn't fall in a day, but was slowly chipped away by internal corruption and external threats for several hundred years before it was completely overwhelmed. Your reign as the world's sole superpower is quite short in comparison, and certainly not permanent. No power in the history of mankind can maintain its superiority permanently. Resilience is not a uniquely American trait.

Rome fell. Mongols fractured. Spain collapsed. Britain withered. Keep telling yourself it will be different this time.

Seems resonable based on a study from 2002 that looked at IQ by country.

China = 105 and US = 98. A small 7 point difference. I don't believe for a minute that 1,388,232,693 Chinese were tested for their IQ. A country the size of China! Maybe they tested people in the cities but not in the country. China has way more uneducated citizens than the United Sates.

its only a matter of time before we fall, that will be extremely sad. It will be even worst knowing that the chinese will be the dominate power in the world, last thing i want.

Particularly when US decline is exacerbated. Here is the Trump Administration's White House budget proposal as compared to the previous fiscal year before taking office and a strong indication of how they undeniably actually feel about science. All the fluff and bluster with things like reforming the "National Space Council" (entirely political) and initiatives to go back to the Moon and off to Mars, etc. are just that.

Aeronautics & Space Admin (NASA) (-3%)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (-31%)
Institutes of Health (NIH) (-22%)
Oceanic & Atmospheric Admin (NOAA) (-16%)
US Geological Survey (USGS) (-15%)
Science Foundation (NSF) (-11%)
Institutes of Standards & Technology (NIST) (-23%)
STEM Education (-15%)

@HomerThompson Brilliant, huh? Jesus Christ.

Ok, I just noticed, you are Canadian.

Most Canadians tend to be innocent, harmless and polite little human beings (unless they're repulsive French motherfuckers from Quebec - j/k). That's not necessarily the same thing as 'friendly' because they often won't inquire about things some would take as intrusive. If you tell a Canadian to stop apologizing, they'll say sorry. These people are docile, meek and easily startled, especially the white ones, and there's a certain inherent level of dominance over them in sexual relations that requires no sort of conscious assertiveness. Don't be cruel to them.

Back