China strikes back with tariffs on $60 billion of US goods

Don't worry, Trump will just take billions of dollars from all of us a distribute it to the people affected by his stupid trade policies and actions.

Jobs increase for companies that provide domestic products and wages rise due to increased demand for labor. In fact, if you break down the math it is essentially impossible for the middle and lower classes to lose economic share in this situation. It is the upper class and the capital class which take a hit in this circumstance.
You are comparing factual observable effects of tariffs vs. pie in sky, unrealistic predictions.

I think because poor and middle class people buy a lot of stuff from China. Think stuff from wal mart, dollar general, foods at the grocery store, etc. When the stuff comes from China and has a tariff on it, someone has to pay for it. Like most things, eventually it trickles down to the customer. So I think the tariff ultimately mean higher prices on goods from China.
Sure, but that isn't the point. Those goods produced in China mean jobs in China, they mean less pressure on the labor pool which means lower wages.

But ignoring that, what exactly is the long term alternative here? Allow China to keep abusing us? Keep steeling our technology and bullying our companies? Keep tarriffing our products while we don't tariff theirs?

Whats weird is that all of the kinds of people who supposedly care about the poor and lower class don't seem to actually want to do anything that will help them.

You are comparing factual observable effects of tariffs vs. pie in sky, unrealistic predictions.
No, I am applying what is among the most basic principles of economics to the situation. The kind of stuff you learn in the first half of the first year of a macro economics course.

No, I am applying what is among the most basic principles of economics to the situation. The kind of stuff you learn in the first half of the first year of a macro economics course.
Possibly in the very long term, meanwhile people and business will suffer.

Possibly in the very long term, meanwhile people and business will suffer.
I agree the short term effect is probably going to be bad. These types of changes take time to settle. But that is probably why it is bad to rely to heavily on international trade. There is an inherent instability in it. Take the fact that virtually all efficiency gains are collected by the top 10% and it becomes even more baffling that the people who support the lower and middle class who attack Trump on this issue. I can only assume that it is people who are directly effected as individuals?

Jobs increase for companies that provide domestic products and wages rise due to increased demand for labor. In fact, if you break down the math it is essentially impossible for the middle and lower classes to lose economic share in this situation. It is the upper class and the capital class which take a hit in this circumstance.
Or like minimum wage companies just learn how to do things with less employees and increase automation. I guess it might result in less jobs in China, but it won't result in a huge benefit here. Or companies just outsource to countries where there are no tariffs. Regardless of these tariffs China is nowhere close to being on the level of killing jobs that technology is.

they should be much more worried about their own Stock Market and the shaky situation w/ the Yuan, even moreso w/ EM's struggling and likely to default on some debt in the next few years to China

Their currency is devaluing, ours is gaining strength......one's PPP is increasing while the others is definitely decreasing.....

Or like minimum wage companies just learn how to do things with less employees and increase automation. I guess it might result in less jobs in China, but it won't result in a huge benefit here. Or companies just outsource to countries where there are no tariffs. Regardless of these tariffs China is nowhere close to being on the level of killing jobs that technology is.
Ok, then the question becomes; would you rather have those automated factories here or in China? No matter how you cut it, importing goods from China kills jobs and domestic investment with the only beneficiaries being the Capital class.

Ok, then the question becomes; would you rather have those automated factories here or in China? No matter how you cut it, importing goods from China kills jobs and domestic investment with the only beneficiaries being the Capital class.
Well if you have more expensive goods with no real increase in direct benefits to people it could be a net negative. Simply increasing the cost of overhead while not really increasing actual jobs isn't very helpful especially when the cost is passed on to the people. Plus see point 2. You will just see more of made in Vietnam instead of China.

Last edited:
Now China can expect Trump to hit them with another 267 billion in tariffs. Trump has been clear on that. China won't have anything left to put tariffs on. We are obviously winning this trade war. TRUMP 2020! - MAGA!!!

Last edited:
Well if you have more expensive goods with no real increase in direct benefits to people it could be a net negative. Simply increasing the cost of overhead while not really increasing actual jobs isn't very helpful especially when the cost is passed on to the people. Plus see point 2. You will just see more of made in Vietnam instead of China.
It will be increasing jobs, it also increases the governments ability to leverage taxes on domestic corporations. Yes the same should be done with other jurisdictions that are abusive, but Vietnam isn't the same as China. China has been leveraging its market access to steal technology and abuse American corporations. Vietnam can't do that. Vietnam also doesn't have have the import tariffs that are pretty much ubiquitous when dealing with China.

$60 to $200 billion? We win.

Thanks Trump!

Being American is being on the side that always wins.

This has been a accurate statement, joining both world wars late and making tons of cash on allies and enemies alike, getting involved in teh ME, and so on.

I have to wonder if with Trump's trade wars with Canada, EU, China and who knows who else, if this pattern will continue.

Back