China's taste in movies: Actors' attractiveness that important? - Gods of Egypt

I don't think people liking to watch good looking people do stylish things is unique to China. The Marvel films are big over here and there for similar reasons.

It's interesting that Boseman is popular over there though. He's a handsome dude but I would not have thought he fit with the Chinese beauty standard (being diplomatic)

I have to disagree that looks scores over plot/script in the West vs. Asia . I don't know much about China's movie likes but it seems like they are far more enthralled by special effects and any big name Western movie star than we are. In the West, looks alone doesn't cut it, Western audiences are discriminating and their primary preference is for plot and good direction .

I have to disagree that looks scores over plot/script in the West vs. Asia . I don't know much about China's movie likes but it seems like they are far more enthralled by special effects and any big name Western movie star than we are. In the West, looks alone doesn't cut it, Western audiences are discriminating and their primary preference is for plot and good direction .
2018-Yearly-Box-Office-Results-Box-Office-Mojo-2018-12-18-21-54-34.png

<Dany07>

Those movies aren't known for featuring mostly hot actors/actresses. Those are ok entertainment movies, which is why people saw them. Western audiences don't go to the movies primarily to see hot stars.

Those movies aren't known for featuring mostly hot actors/actresses. Those are ok entertainment movies, which is why people saw them. Western audiences don't go to the movies primarily to see hot stars.
2018-China-Yearly-Box-Office-Results-2018-12-18-22-08-11.png

This is the Chinese 2018 box office. There isnt enough difference between them to suggest Chinese audiences have more superficial tastes than USA. Which of these were watched primarily for "hot stars"? Your hypothesis is ridiculous.

Dude, in Hollywood movies they have tens play ugly chicks. Chinese moviegoers are not particularly shallow.

the deal-breaker

latest
People in Asia think she is a joke.

They think it's embarrassing, honestly. Like...people in Asia would love to see Asians given more flattering roles in Hollywood. They are tired of the Asian scientist or Asian nerd or the Asian martial artist. Rian intentionally made her as nerdy as possible because he hung out w/ nerds like her in high school.

That's why they like Glenn in The Walking Dead. He just happens to be Korean American....but you could swap him with any other ethnicity and he'd still be the same character. He's just a normal dude.

My wife loves Gods if Egypt and watches it on Netflix all the time. I allow it.

gods-of-egypt-courtney-eaton1.jpg

This is the Chinese 2018 box office. There isnt enough difference between them to suggest Chinese audiences have more superficial tastes than USA. Which of these were watched primarily for "hot stars"? Your hypothesis is ridiculous.

Venom has Tom Hardy...

200.gif

Pretty much.

Basically the only real diference is Star Wars films are big in the USA and Fast and Furios is really big in China and that made americans butthurt. To be fair if you take out the emotional connection of the OT everithing after return of the Jedi doesnt deserve the huge box office numbers.

People in Asia think she is a joke.

They think it's embarrassing, honestly. Like...people in Asia would love to see Asians given more flattering roles in Hollywood. They are tired of the Asian scientist or Asian nerd or the Asian martial artist. Rian intentionally made her as nerdy as possible because he hung out w/ nerds like her in high school.

That's why they like Glenn in The Walking Dead. He just happens to be Korean American....but you could swap him with any other ethnicity and he'd still be the same character. He's just a normal dude.

As I'v said in the Starwars threads to me the sequel films dispite there claims as inclusivity feel oddly backwards with a black comedy janitor sidekick and a geeky Asian girl with a heart of gold.

I agree looks aren't everything in Western cinema. And also that the days of a bankable star selling a film on name alone are mostly over.

But I think Hollywood is way closer to China than it is to British or European cinema. There are some truly gifted actors over there who would never get on TV over here because of their looks. And by and large the top grossing Hollywood films every year are at least as much spectacle as substance.

Pretty much.

Basically the only real diference is Star Wars films are big in the USA and Fast and Furios is really big in China and that made americans butthurt. To be fair if you take out the emotional connection of the OT everithing after return of the Jedi doesnt deserve the huge box office numbers.
wait why are we butthurt?

I get the feeling that it comes down to people's reasonings for watching movies. I feel like, with Americans, so many people want to play the amateur critic and focus on whether the movie was objectively "good" or "bad". Never been to China, but my guess based on their movie choices is that they largely focus more on whether the movie was "entertaining" or "boring".

Box office takes does not = positive review. Movies like Transformers are more well received there than here, and I am not talking about box office takes, I am referring to viewer criticism of the movie.

Box office takes does not = positive review. Movies like Transformers are more well received there than here, and I am not talking about box office takes, I am referring to viewer criticism of the movie.
So do you have some superior metric to quantify this national Goodwill towards a movie? Please share your secret access to China's zeitgeist.

Back