classed as a great but losing to the same person twice?

Ernesto Hoost is widely regarded as one of, if not the best kickboxer, despite his losses to Bob Sapp.....

Matt Hughes got beat by Dennis Hall twice in under 30 seconds both times.....yet he is considered an all time great.....

Even in Nogueira's Prime, he was considered an all time great despite his losses to Fedor.....

There are many examples.....

In K-1 of course the big names fought so much and the fights were generally so short that loads of them had two or more loses to one guy, plus Sapp in 2002 was actually a hell of a lot better than people give him credit for, was tough as hell vs Hoost walking though loads of punishment totally unlike we saw latter.

Honestly with Hughes I think whilst he's obviously a great the Hallman fights are more than the freak results people make them. You look at the BJ fights for example where he was owned once and scaped a win after nearly being finished again and I think its clear high level sub guys were a problem for him. WW in his era was I think exactly the opposite of the UFC hype, one of the least evolved divisions being a throwback to the late 90's.

Nog I think actually deserves to be mentioned not just as a great but with the GOATS albeit obviously behind Fedor, otherwise a prolonged period of dominance in one of the first divisions to really evolve.

Wanna try that again in English, bitch?
giphy.gif
Which part did you not understand?
I'll walk you through it but maybe go back to high school.

Can you be classed as a great if you lost to the same person twice ? I’m thinking Matt Hughes being a great but lost twice to Dennis Hallman? JDS losing to Cain twice, Overeem losing to shogun twice ?

If asked would you say that Matt Hughes was better than Dennis Hallman, because MMA not being a team sport the answer has to be no as they fought twice and he lost twice?

My poor ignorant lad. I don't think you have even a basic grasp of what greatness is, or how it is obtained.

One could make a strong argument that Dennis Hallman was instrumental in making Hughes Great.

Think about it. All 10 of Hughes title fight victories came after the second loss to Hallman. 9 of which were finishes, a ratio that will in all probability never be replicated. And all of them came from dominance on the ground.

Back