Classism in Liberal News Comedy

Boston during the 70s and 80s you are going to here that word a lot. He has talked about it having a different usage. More of being a pussy than anything having to do with gay people. Kind of reminds me how much my friends and I used the word gay so much. Never had anything to do with gay people, we used the word literally before knowing it meant homosexual or even what homosexuals were.
Oh I realize that. Just with comedians you never know if they're being 100% serious and just exaggerating a little.

Well okay then, post something that isn't a shitpost and let's see if we can make progress. Or keep shitposting like we expect you to so we can just ignore you.

I believe I've posted my stance on the matter, many times now.

In short: Welcome to 2014, Liberals. In case you're just getting the message now, Donald Trump is President. Your smug douchbaggery was rejected. Shocking, I know. @Trotsky, a Liberal, in 2018, just made a thread about recognizing this. I think his thread is shit. The end.

In short: Welcome to 2014, Liberals. In case you're just getting the message now, Donald Trump is President. Your smug douchbaggery was rejected. Shocking, I know. @Trotsky, a Liberal, in 2018, just made a thread about recognizing this. I think his thread is shit. The end.
<YeahOKJen>

jWvOPj.gif

Would you cigarettes stop with this shit?

See what I did thar?

Well, this thread was a spectacular failure in bipartisanship.

Well, this thread was a spectacular failure in bipartisanship.
Nice try though.

I always did find it weird how much John Oliver would criticize fast food and junk food. Never thought much of it but your point about it signaling a sort of classism makes sense to me.

Nice try though.

I always did find it weird how much John Oliver would criticize fast food and junk food. Never thought much of it but your point about it signaling a sort of classism makes sense to me.
He probably talks shit about American fast food but I get he goes to the local London fast food tandoori chicken places on the reg when he's back in his home country

He probably talks shit about American fast food but I get he goes to the local London fast food tandoori chicken places on the reg when he's back in his home country
Probably goes to high end Indian restaurants and considers himself cultured for it while not knowing anything else about Indian culture.

Nice try though.

Yeah, but he's British so it does seem to come over in translation.

And it's unfortunate, because I think he and Jon Stewart are legitimately very intelligent and powerful commentators.

For me, having grown up poor and then had to suffer through Ivy League classmates (I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but many of my law school classmates did), that is an area that especially sticks out to me: how rich liberals would scoff at eating fast food, all the while being extremely intelligent and versed in political sociology.

Even with Trump, I actually do like about him that he pounds Big Macs and KFC instead of being some caviar-eating blue blood cunt. And some of the rhetoric used to describe his eating habits are pretty clearly laced with classism (which is funny, considering he's a fucking billionaire).

This to a T.

I am ok with Stewart, he does it in a way that's funny.

Oliver, Maher (most of the time), the twat Noah that took over for Stewart, and Colbert are super fucking smug about it and frankly, at least to me, aren't that funny in how they do it.

It's a case of, to me at least, guys that are part of the "elite" that don't realize how pretentious they sound.
Yeah, I sorta grew up on Stewart and Colbert in the early 2000's. When Stewart left and Colbert replaced Letterman, it went to shit. I was happy for Colbert, but hoped he would bring his satirical humor with him. He ended up being way too preachy and serious. Moreso than David Letterman ever was. Trevor is horrible, same with Oliver. And I really liked Oliver in Community.

You are Canadian. You are a sad person.

Yeah, I sorta grew up on Stewart and Colbert in the early 2000's. When Stewart left and Colbert replaced Letterman, it went to shit. I was happy for Colbert, but hoped he would bring his satirical humor with him. He ended up being way too preachy and serious. Moreso than David Letterman ever was. Trevor is horrible, same with Oliver. And I really liked Oliver in Community.
I'll be honest, it might be because I never really watched Community but I personally don't find Noah funny, like, at all.

I think Oliver is genuinely funny. Even when he;s being a smug cunt, he has a certain delivery that is...identifiable, and relatable.

Noah...oh' fuck, I don;t know how that dude hasn't been replaced, or cancelled by now. It's just low hanging fruit grabbing. That's all he does. He's got the easiest job in the world. He could literally just say "Trump" for a half hour, and his audience would cheer.

Yeah, but he's British so it does seem to come over in translation.

And it's unfortunate, because I think he and Jon Stewart are legitimately very intelligent and powerful commentators.

For me, having grown up poor and then had to suffer through Ivy League classmates (I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but many of my law school classmates did), that is an area that especially sticks out to me: how rich liberals would scoff at eating fast food, all the while being extremely intelligent and versed in political sociology.

Even with Trump, I actually do like about him that he pounds Big Macs and KFC instead of being some caviar-eating blue blood cunt. And some of the rhetoric used to describe his eating habits are pretty clearly laced with classism (which is funny, considering he's a fucking billionaire).
The producers of media for the left cluster in certain urban centers and run along with the same, elite crowd. How do you get someone like Bill Maher, who pretty much exclusively hangs around wealthy liberals, to find any common ground with the working class?

Back