CNN - What's the "Alt Left"? Experts say it's 'made-up term'

Hans Gruber

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
There you have it folks. The "experts" have put this topic to rest.

Those of you that are brainwashed by CNN can be rest assured that there is no such thing as the Alt Left. Antifa is a made up term too and so is the violence that they are involved in. The propaganda arm of the establishment has spoken.

Muhammad Saeed al-Sahaf would be proud of our lying media

th

https://archive.is/oaEoG

By JOE STERLING AND NICOLE CHAVEZ , CNN

Is there really 'an alt-left'?
It's a "made-up term" used by people on the right to "suggest there is a similar movement on the left," Segal said.

But there's no equivalent with the anti-Semitic and bigoted groups that call themselves "alt-right", he said.
George Hawley, an assistant professor of political science at the University of Alabama, said the "alt-left" term has been most aggressively pushed by Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity, but it's not a label anyone or group has adopted for themselves.

"There is no such movement as the alt-left. Obviously, there are left-wing extremists but there is no congruence between the far-left and the alt-right."

Antifa, which is short for anti-fascist, is a controversial opposition group formed by a broad group of people whose political beliefs lean toward the left but do not conform with the Democratic Party platform. Members are known for causing damage to property during protests and some employ radical or militant tactics to get their message across.

One reason could be that left groups are not trying to repackage themselves to go mainstream as the far right has, he said.

"Do not get me wrong; there are extremists on the left, including very problematic ones. But the "alt left" is not a thing. It's just an insult," wrote Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow at the ADL center, on Twitter.

Star Trek actor and activist George Takei condemned Trump's use of the term "alt-left."
"Trump's trying to invent an "alt-left" as scary as Nazis. But if standing up to white supremacy makes someone alt-left, then count me in," Takei wrote.

It's a concerted effort by the right wing nationalists and supremacists to create a false equivalency.

I mean you don't have to dig very far in their forums to see their tactics and strategy.

Last edited:
The word "the" is a made up term bro.

And racism is a human thing, it has existed since the beginning of humans, people fear "the other"...

It's a concerted effort by the right wing nationalist and supremacists to create a false equivalency.

I mean you don't have to dig very far in their forums to see their tactics and strategy.

False equivalency? Are you fucking stupid? Antifa has been attacking people with bats, chains, locks, mace, etc.. for a fucking year now. The violence ratio is 10 to 1.

I wouldn't even know what CNN posts if Trump people weren't always reading it and posting about it.

The "alt -left" or new left, or regressive liberals is specifically why I jumped ship from the liberal side of American politics.

Granted, I still hold liberal positions on a host of issues but the leftists today represent everything that liberals have fought against.

So Antifa and BLM represent mainstream leftists? That's encouraging

Agreed

So why is this the headline?

Pushing a narrative obviously
You guys cry way too much about the news being "unfair"... Trump is trying to conflate things to keep his voters and not alienate a vocal minority voting block (white racists essentially). It's not to say there aren't problems on both sides, there are assholes all over the spectrum.

I don't think Trump is a racist for the record, it's just clear his most vocal and unconventional voting block that came out in droves to put him in office consists of the right wing antagonists at that rally in Virginia (and many others like them around the country).

Here's the CNN link:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/what-is-alt-left/index.html

The Alt-Right proclaimed itself as such, under Richard Spencer, anyway, and that created confusion when Bannon also used the term, and I don't believe he did so in reference to Spencer's group, specifically, but we've already seen that fragile delineation dissolved. The attempt to brand counter-protesters as the "Alt-Left" is ironic in that, by its very virtue, it implies an astonishing critique of the Alt-Right (and Bannon/Breitbart); because clearly it is designating "Alt-Left" as a pejorative.

By attempting to slander #antifa you guys are surrendering absolute moral authority. This is what happens when you let people who don't know how to drive steer the bus. This is why I was and remain a #NeverTrumper.

Buttblasted alt-right morons try and make shit up to deflect from the fact that they joined a white supremacist group? Why, I am downright surprised. /s

https://www.reddit.com/r/altright/

What is the Alt Right?

The Alt-Right, unlike the dominant ideology of the 20th Century (Liberalism/Conservatism), examines the world through a lens of realism. Rather than continue to look at the world through the ideological blinders that Liberalism imposes in its dogmatic evangelism of the Equalitarianreligion, we prefer to look & examine social relations & demographics from a perspective of what's real. Thus, racial & sexual realism is a key component of the Alt-Right - perhaps the key component that ties the diverse factions within it together.

Another core principle of the Alt-Right is Identitarianism. Identitarianism is the prioritization of social identity, regardless of political persuasion. Thus, the Alt-Right promotes White Identity and White Nationalism.

As a counter-culture, we've developed a plethora of in-jokes & terminology. For a guide to the lexicon, please refer to the TRS Lexicon guide or to Social Matter's NRx Compendium of concepts & terms.

Wssvu6L.png

The "alt -left" or new left, or regressive liberals is specifically why I jumped ship from the liberal side of American politics.

Granted, I still hold liberal positions on a host of issues but the leftists today represent everything that liberals have fought against.

As soon as I heard that Trump said this I just laughed at the stupidity of it. I was about to explain why by this other guy I quoted below already did. But basically, if you create the term alt-left to mean crazy ass violent liberals....then what are you saying about your base, the alt-right?

It's ridiculous LI.

Here's the CNN link:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/what-is-alt-left/index.html

The Alt-Right proclaimed itself as such, under Richard Spencer, anyway, and that created confusion when Bannon also used the term, and I don't believe he did so in reference to Spencer's group, specifically, but we've already seen that fragile delineation dissolved. The attempt to brand counter-protesters as the "Alt-Left" is ironic in that, by its very virtue, it implies an astonishing critique of the Alt-Right (and Bannon/Breitbart); because clearly it is designating "Alt-Left" as a pejorative.

By attempting to slander #antifa you guys are surrendering absolute moral authority. This is what happens when you let people who don't know how to drive steer the bus. This is why I was and remain a #NeverTrumper.

Isn't the big difference that the Alt-right actually calls themselves Alt -right. Antifa is mostly Anarchists/communists....

There were a bunch of artists at Berkley that labelled themselves the "alt-left".
I'm a fan of Mark Bryan.

Probably not what you guys are looking for though right?

Feeding-the-Baby-Mark-Bryan-900.jpg

Only Liberals are allowed to make up names for groups of people in order to ether discriminate against them or claimed they are discriminated against. Its the foundation of the entire Democratic Party.

The reason why America has a problem of understanding alt-right or ANTIFA is because of the 2 party system.
And also because Americans, in general, can only view things from an American political left/right perspective.

The goals of ANTIFA and the Alt Right are pretty clear if put into a central European political contexts.
I mean ANTIFA has been around since when 1925?

The enemy has taken over and made some of these big corporations their bitches.

Back