Coach Creighton Double Leg

I realize but just ignoring it seems wrong.

The two on one works reasonably often when my partner has my collar. The collar drag is my go to.

Been working on ude gaeshi as well when my partner has my collar.
Wrong?

What’s your thought on focusing more for defense, snaps, control ties before “traditional” stuff for the first year unathletic freshman? My opinion is based off experience but you have way more experience and success
I try to do this even for my best guys. We drill defense as much as offense, which is not very normal from what most people do. However, as you know, even good highschoolers will give away points with ill timed and misguided offensive attacks.

I try to do this even for my best guys. We drill defense as much as offense, which is not very normal from what most people do. However, as you know, even good highschoolers will give away points with ill timed and misguided offensive attacks.
Yeah, I’ve found kids pick up basic defense/snaps and top the quickest. Neutral offense (shots, throws) and bottom take the longest.

I had success this year with having the kids immediately get to a baseball bat tie or Russian and immediately starting to try and pull the opp. Hand to the mat and go for the go behind. It opened up a lot of offense and the kids felt safe.

What’s your thought on the short offense trend of a lot of coaches going away from teaching the traditional front headlock and go-behind? Instead having kids immediately try to “hook” the leg and almost slingshot into a counter leg attack instead of a “go-behind”. I don’t know if it’s a trend out west but more and more Midwest coaches are going to it.

I teach both. I also teach outside step stuff. My issue is with “how” they are taught. Most of the time when people complain about it hurting their knee, or more specifically they are slamming their knee is Because it has been taught awkwardly or incorrectly.

And I think the most undertaught and useful are the backstep penetration and side step penetration

We teach backstep quite heavily. We are a pressure team. Everything is predicated on wearing on the head and getting him out of position to score. We use a very basic “push, pull, snap” system that I came up with

Yeah, I’ve found kids pick up basic defense/snaps and top the quickest. Neutral offense (shots, throws) and bottom take the longest.

I had success this year with having the kids immediately get to a baseball bat tie or Russian and immediately starting to try and pull the opp. Hand to the mat and go for the go behind. It opened up a lot of offense and the kids felt safe.

What’s your thought on the short offense trend of a lot of coaches going away from teaching the traditional front headlock and go-behind? Instead having kids immediately try to “hook” the leg and almost slingshot into a counter leg attack instead of a “go-behind”. I don’t know if it’s a trend out west but more and more Midwest coaches are going to it.

We do a lot of front headlock stuff but we have eliminated the traditional block behind the shoulder go behind. We go to a short hook and still heavily do head in the hole. I’ve also been working on some re-attack stuff with pretty good results, we teach the position and let them get creative.

We teach backstep quite heavily. We are a pressure team. Everything is predicated on wearing on the head and getting him out of position to score. We use a very basic “push, pull, snap” system that I came up with
I’ve gone away from head tie stuff even though I was really good at it. Too much ear to ear. Next year I plan on continuing the baseball bat and Russian tie stuff and adding stuff. Including A pass by system to the baseball bat stuff. And doing a lot more underhooks

We do a lot of front headlock stuff but we have eliminated the traditional block behind the shoulder go behind. We go to a short hook and still heavily do head in the hole. I’ve also been working on some re-attack stuff with pretty good results, we teach the position and let them get creative.
Yeah I only teach the head in the hole with success with the inexperienced kids. For whatever reason the shoulder block go behind is hard for kids. It never was for me but what can ya do lol

I’ve gone away from head tie stuff even though I was really good at it. Too much ear to ear. Next year I plan on continuing the baseball bat and Russian tie stuff and adding stuff. Including A pass by system to the baseball bat stuff. And doing a lot more underhooks

We are really good at ear to ear. It sounds crazy I know. I hated it and then I talked to Jeff Jordan at his camp and everything they do is basically ear to ear. Underhooks are great and it’s probably our #2 tie. We’ve never been a big baseball bat team and I don’t ever see us doing it, probably because they see my HS guys having so much success with wearing on the head

We are really good at ear to ear. It sounds crazy I know. I hated it and then I talked to Jeff Jordan at his camp and everything they do is basically ear to ear. Underhooks are great and it’s probably our #2 tie. We’ve never been a big baseball bat team and I don’t ever see us doing it, probably because they see my HS guys having so much success with wearing on the head
Yeah, I know his approach to it. I like getting kids good at control ties, it gives them an edge in my opinion and feeds into smart tactics better. And it’s one are I’ve noticed the Europeans focus on more than us and it showes sometimes. I’m not saying I’m as good a coach as Jordan lol. Always learning. Ive just always been the type to look at stuff differently. Not different for novelties sake but just how I break things down. I also feel that leaving Ohio for awhile and seeing other styles then coming back influenced me as well.

I will say though, (my team was in the same district as Graham last year, and I’m from southwest Ohio) that I have extremely.. mixed feelings about St. Paris Graham. From a variety of perspectives lol

Yeah, I know his approach to it. I like getting kids good at control ties, it gives them an edge in my opinion and feeds into smart tactics better. And it’s one are I’ve noticed the Europeans focus on more than us and it showes sometimes. I’m not saying I’m as good a coach as Jordan lol. Always learning. Ive just always been the type to look at stuff differently. Not different for novelties sake but just how I break things down. I also feel that leaving Ohio for awhile and seeing other styles then coming back influenced me as well.

I will say though, (my team was in the same district as Graham last year, and I’m from southwest Ohio) that I have extremely.. mixed feelings about St. Paris Graham. From a variety of perspectives lol

Haha what are your feelings on Graham? I personally like Jeff a lot as a person but can understand some of the hate they get as a program.

I coached in Miami for 3 years immediately out of college and wow. It changed me. I had either poor Cuban kids or rich Jewish kids, a mixture I don’t think exists elsewhere. I had some of the best pure athletes I’ve seen and I coached a style based on that. The wrestling was much more competitive than I was expecting and saw numerous kids who could win state titles in most states. Now that I’m back home (in the Midwest) I have a bunch of suburban white boys. Different kid, different style, same mentality.

Haha what are your feelings on Graham? I personally like Jeff a lot as a person but can understand some of the hate they get as a program.

I coached in Miami for 3 years immediately out of college and wow. It changed me. I had either poor Cuban kids or rich Jewish kids, a mixture I don’t think exists elsewhere. I had some of the best pure athletes I’ve seen and I coached a style based on that. The wrestling was much more competitive than I was expecting and saw numerous kids who could win state titles in most states. Now that I’m back home (in the Midwest) I have a bunch of suburban white boys. Different kid, different style, same mentality.
I don’t have a problem with Jordan as a person. Certain aspects of how Graham is run now, how they get a lot of their kids and the lack of competitive balance is concerning to me, from a overall health of the sport and numbers standpoint but we’d have to make that another whole thread lol. It’s more so that Graham is a symptom of the problem.

I’ve never heard bad things about Jordan as a person. And yeah I’ve had somewhat similar experiences coaching a diverse range of kids too haha. One very interesting thing I’ve noticed, and almost every experienced coach I know agrees, is the number one factor in “how” you coach the kids is.. socioeconomic status. More than any other factor. Not a good thing or bad, just interesting to me

What part of the Midwest if you don’t mind me asking ^

Its a west coast thing. I still teach cross arm block and go behind. Its built into our daily drills. My other main options is just grab the ankle, get to the side, put them on the hip with a cradle or just on the hip, and go behind.

About 12 years ago when I wrestled in college, the front headlock to re-attacking the legs was popular. Now those guys are coaching in colleges or highschools and its starting to get popular again. My guess is that in another 12 years, funk wrestling and dive rolls will start to make a bigger comeback.

I don’t have a problem with Jordan as a person. Certain aspects of how Graham is run now, how they get a lot of their kids and the lack of competitive balance is concerning to me, from a overall health of the sport and numbers standpoint but we’d have to make that another whole thread lol. It’s more so that Graham is a symptom of the problem.

I’ve never heard bad things about Jordan as a person. And yeah I’ve had somewhat similar experiences coaching a diverse range of kids too haha. One very interesting thing I’ve noticed, and almost every experienced coach I know agrees, is the number one factor in “how” you coach the kids is.. socioeconomic status. More than any other factor. Not a good thing or bad, just interesting to me

Ahh yeah I understand. Open school district + kids move in from all over the country.

You are spot on with socioeconomic status. You have to do and be different to kids based on their parents income and overall income of school. With the Cuban kids we also had a language barrier but one of my assistants was my wife’s brother who was a Miami PD officer who was fluent so we were good. I couldn’t imagine the DC area, my buddy who coaches there has 9 different native languages on his team.

Its a west coast thing. I still teach cross arm block and go behind. Its built into our daily drills. My other main options is just grab the ankle, get to the side, put them on the hip with a cradle or just on the hip, and go behind.

About 12 years ago when I wrestled in college, the front headlock to re-attacking the legs was popular. Now those guys are coaching in colleges or highschools and its starting to get popular again. My guess is that in another 12 years, funk wrestling and dive rolls will start to make a bigger comeback.

Here, funk wrestling and dive rolls are used more than baseline defense. We wrestled a team this year who didn’t belly whizzer when we shot a head inside, they immediately looked to pass a leg. Worked well against our kids who didn’t swing their trail leg but not well against those who did the move correctly.

Funk rolling is still big here, baseline D is starting to make a comeback though

Ahh yeah I understand. Open school district + kids move in from all over the country.

You are spot on with socioeconomic status. You have to do and be different to kids based on their parents income and overall income of school. With the Cuban kids we also had a language barrier but one of my assistants was my wife’s brother who was a Miami PD officer who was fluent so we were good. I couldn’t imagine the DC area, my buddy who coaches there has 9 different native languages on his team.
It’s more complicated to me than just the open enrollment but it’s a meta discussion lol

Back