Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

I don’t do a lot of 30 minute sessions for adults, but it does happen. I’ll get guys on their lunch break and will come in and hit mitts for cardio. Quick and dirty 30 bucks for me. 6-7 rounds, 3 minutes on 1 minute off. A lot of coaches or pad men say that they’re not an exercise bike, but for the right money I’d stand on my hands and sing the national anthem.

re: pricing. I Absolutely agree, it’s as much about your market as it is your skill set. I was just talking to a guy in LA about my business model vs. his. He charges waaaaay more because his market will allow it. Portland’s changing a lot and I’m riding the wave of tech money but If I relocated to a small or rural town I would have to reconsider my pricing model significantly.

That’s a good idea about posting a quick thing about each coaches credentials. I’ll work on that this afternoon

Tbf I can understand that, it doesn't sound bad!

Im pretty much on board with the whole pads vs drills things being said here. Additional benefits some already mentioned some not, you can work plenty of guys at the same time, theres different drills, where the students use their gloves as mitts, or where the drill may be a attack counter drill for example, meaning no "pad" simulation with the gloves is being done. this type of drill is much more like a dutch drill, sparring drill, situational type drill. Lastly, its less gym expenses, why have 50 pairs of pads for students to hold when they can just use their gloves.

Regarding getting sore from holding pads, a good work around for that is the paddles. Primarily for punching, but the paddles can be good for punch to kick combinations, when they are throwing head kicks to the paddle. It makes much more sense to let them kick a paddle, or even a pad in this fashion to the head, then hold both pads at your head for a kick. Thats my little pad holding head kick trick for ya.
I saw everlast makes a pair of paddles I was going to check out. I’m a gear snob but can’t bring myself to purchase the winning ones.

The flip side of having a bunch of mitts for your gym is that you can incorporate them into the fitness classes, especially if you’re limited in the number of bags you have. Plus it encouragess people to talk to each other and have direct, personal interactions with one another. This is good for retention. Holding for basic fitness boxing isn’t that hard and with a little work you can get most people on board and competent in a few classes.
Not sure if I am allowed to post here. I would like to share the client perspective. I have been in numerous gyms in Bulgaria and Turkey doing MT, Dutch KB and boxing. I am your "white collar" guy that enjoys the sport and is willing to pay to leArn the sport and fighting.

Regarding pad holding. I was enjoying it mainly when it was used to polish my technique and stance when I entered boxing. I needed a lot of polishing to be honest and still needs.
Then I enjoy it when it gets playful with the coach. I hate hitting the pads heavy, I rather have the coach guide me on the heavy bag when I am trying to unleash.

I liked partner drills a lot. But nicely crafted partner drills. When I was.doing dutch KB there were some nice partner drills. However currently I do not like these partner drills in the boxing gym as they are not carefully crafted imo. What I mean is I would never slip out - slip in as a defensive move against the 1-2. That cross is always going to hit me. See if it was a nicely crafted drill as a slip out weave under come up with a left hook, right hand. Then count me in.

I like partner drills developing into light spar. And finishing the workout with a light spar or heavy bag banging.

I hate finishing with cardio or core work. Man I work out on my own. Your crunches or burpees are not going to make me better. Better make me unleash on the bag.

Generally I like starting technical, then drills, then heavy work like spar or heavy bag.
I’m the opposite of you- I won’t do S&C work outside the gym so I liked when I was forced to. Probably why I never did that well as a competitive fighter...
Question to the more Experienced/ Full time coaches. do you take any specific precautions when doing Mittwork? for example i know Dave Coldwell will always tape his wrists up or wear compression sleeves on his elbows, anything like this or specific wrist, hand, shoulder or elbow exercises to try and minimise the damage?
I’ll tape my wrists if I don’t have my own mitts with me. I like the fairtex mitts but the have 0 support so ill tape up if I wear them. I’ve had two custom pairs made by top boxer and I like them, although These new
Ones are a lot firmer than the last pair. Trevor Whitman is way backed up but is going to build a pair of air mitts for me eventually.
Generally I stretch a lot and try to use good gear. I’ll use pool noodles a fair amount, but the bottom line is pad work is hard on your body, period.
Spending money on the right gear is worth it when it comes to mitts.

Speed/Micro mitts for lighter punchers or general finesse work.
Air mitts for harder work and bigger punchers.
Noodles/Sticks/Paddles for taller fighters, the heaviest hitters, or when I want to take the stress off my shoulders and elbows. These have a ton of other applications as well obviously, but I'm referring exclusively to how they can be used to minimize wear and tear on a trainer.

Investing in a pair of Winning Air Mitts is absolutely worth while if you're going to spending hours a week with mitts.

I don't personally wrap or tape my wrist, but I have a history of wrist issues while holding mitts, so I go out of my way to purchase and use mitts with fantastic wrist support. Many mitts have support that sits on the back of the hand rather than BELOW the wrist, so it essentially just keeps the mitt from flying off your hand, but doesn't add any real support.

Also, almost every pair of mitts I use have a finger hood. This is especially important when working with newer fighters who lack control, technique, or throw something I didn't call for. If you catch a bad punch on a finger, it suuuuuuuucks. Most mitts that don't have a finger hood have a model that does for a few dollars more, and it's absolutely worth the money.

I don't use "standard" mitts very often anymore (like, panther stye mitts) as I feel like they don't offer an ideal situation for me. Too heavy for finesse work and not enough impact absorption for the big boys.
+1 on finger hoods. And they have to be padded finger hoods to make sure the punch doesn’t catch your finger anyways.
I invested in Some Rival air mitts at tge start of the year and my elbows and shoulders have thanked me ever since my only gripe with them is the finger hood issue you mentioned as if someone catches them slightly off centre it jams your fingers instantly. Reassuring to hear that it's worth making the investment, even if I'm nowhere near to coaching full time i suppose it's worth looking after my joints in the long run.
start now. Good gear takes care of you

I’m the opposite of you- I won’t do S&C work outside the gym so I liked when I was forced to. Probably why I never did that well as a competitive fighter...

I am with Ilk on this one. I don't mind some basic conditioning during the session, but when we have 2hours training, with 20 minutes cardio/warm up, + 10 min stretching, plus the pushups, sit ups at the end of it, plus the final stretching. And during the session, all we do is consecutive knees to the pads or round houses.... I feal the session is completely useless for me. I do my conditioning on my own. At the gym I want the trainer to be all over my case to fix the problems I can't see alone. So when i get to train guys, I spend most of my time talking, showing and correcting technique.

I get it that some may need someone to push them for S&C, but i don't want my lessons to turn into cross-fit classes... That's even worst than boxing...

We make our conditioning program designed to make your boxing better. And the guys who don't do it are starting to bitch about not being in as good of shape as the guys who do it.

We make our conditioning program designed to make your boxing better. And the guys who don't do it are starting to bitch about not being in as good of shape as the guys who do it.
Well depends who you are training and what goal they have. Where I come from the average male works out or works heavy at his job. Gyms are full here. My country has 7 mil ppl and my town 89 k. There are 2 gyms in my neighbourhood and 1 soccer field. You have to book the soccer field in a week advance and go to the gym at 7 am to use the squat racks freely. Most people are well educated on how to work out. Sure there are people doing bro splits still, but more people are on to strenght and conditioning training.

I am not sure what it is your boxing specific training, but considering I lift 6 times per week, play soccer twice and go boxing twice and afternoons when I get bored I ll go to the gym and work on the heavy bag plus usually core exercices... do you think I am in a need of a conditioning session in my boxing class?

Well depends who you are training and what goal they have. Where I come from the average male works out or works heavy at his job. Gyms are full here. My country has 7 mil ppl and my town 89 k. There are 2 gyms in my neighbourhood and 1 soccer field. You have to book the soccer field in a week advance and go to the gym at 7 am to use the squat racks freely. Most people are well educated on how to work out. Sure there are people doing bro splits still, but more people are on to strenght and conditioning training.

I am not sure what it is your boxing specific training, but considering I lift 6 times per week, play soccer twice and go boxing twice and afternoons when I get bored I ll go to the gym and work on the heavy bag plus usually core exercices... do you think I am in a need of a conditioning session in my boxing class?

boxing conditioning would be more similar to playing soccer 6 times a week and replacing your weight lifting with calisthenics.

I would classify combat athletes into a very similar category as endurance athletes, or triathletes. We are much more similar to them, then we are to weight lifters.

lifting weights is not how you prepare for fights. If you dont plan on fighting, i think your regimen is fine though, however if you want to improve your boxing, I would drop all other outside activities, and box 6 days a week.

I saw everlast makes a pair of paddles I was going to check out. I’m a gear snob but can’t bring myself to purchase the winning ones.

The flip side of having a bunch of mitts for your gym is that you can incorporate them into the fitness classes, especially if you’re limited in the number of bags you have. Plus it encouragess people to talk to each other and have direct, personal interactions with one another. This is good for retention. Holding for basic fitness boxing isn’t that hard and with a little work you can get most people on board and competent in a few classes.

I’ll tape my wrists if I don’t have my own mitts with me. I like the fairtex mitts but the have 0 support so ill tape up if I wear them. I’ve had two custom pairs made by top boxer and I like them, although These new
Ones are a lot firmer than the last pair. Trevor Whitman is way backed up but is going to build a pair of air mitts for me eventually.
Generally I stretch a lot and try to use good gear. I’ll use pool noodles a fair amount, but the bottom line is pad work is hard on your body, period.

+1 on finger hoods. And they have to be padded finger hoods to make sure the punch doesn’t catch your finger anyways.
start now. Good gear takes care of you

im sure your already aware of the difference between the boxing paddles and tkd style paddles, I want to get my hands on some boxing paddles as well, but then I think why not just use noodles? I dont know if anyone has does this, as I have not used noodles outside of screwing around with them, but they seem to floppy and slow. I was thinking of sticking one of those childs toy plastic bats inside it and taping it up, to make it a bit more solid.

I know plenty of guys from dobblers, students, fighters, coaches, refs. I dont think the girl that ko jazzy par is great becuase of the coaching/training received there. I could be wrong, but when I heard about it, that is not what crossed my mind. Not trying to downtalk the gym or anyone there but my understanding is its much less of a fighters gym when compared to a gym like the yard for example.
this was left in my quote thing and apparently I forgot to reply:
IDK much about dobblers program, just that he was in thailand with patrick and the kids team for IFMA worlds. I'm much more familiar with Valor training center.
im sure your already aware of the difference between the boxing paddles and tkd style paddles, I want to get my hands on some boxing paddles as well, but then I think why not just use noodles? I dont know if anyone has does this, as I have not used noodles outside of screwing around with them, but they seem to floppy and slow. I was thinking of sticking one of those childs toy plastic bats inside it and taping it up, to make it a bit more solid.
I think I want to try the boxing paddles to hold for high kicks and some muay thai work. it's a better target for boxing than noodles although if ou get a noodle with a small enough diameter they are pretty easy to move around and not that awkward. I'm a lot quicker with a noodle than I am with a mitt when I want to give someone a corrective smack on the head bc they are dropping their gloves. they start out pretty firm but through use they wear down a bit. I'll buy a bunch of pool noodles for a buck a piece and cut them down to size and keep them at the gym.

I'm not one of those "strength is strength," "endurance is endurance," types of people. I know sport-specific training is kind of poo poo'd by modern conditioning gurus, but IMO that's because it basically renders them useless in a wide-open market. I can tell you we've had class athletes from other sports come to our gym and gas out in one round. My guy "Cyclone Mike" just had a revelation about this because he couldn't spar for a long time and just last week he was able to again, but I formatted the sparring different for him. It was extremely taxing to what he's used to, and even in tournament shape he wouldnt have been able to do what was asked, because the guy he sparred is in tournament shape and gassed as much as he did. But they weren't gassed because they're out of shape, they gassed because it was high stress. Conditioning for these sports has to address that, among other things.

boxing conditioning would be more similar to playing soccer 6 times a week and replacing your weight lifting with calisthenics.

I would classify combat athletes into a very similar category as endurance athletes, or triathletes. We are much more similar to them, then we are to weight lifters.

lifting weights is not how you prepare for fights. If you dont plan on fighting, i think your regimen is fine though, however if you want to improve your boxing, I would drop all other outside activities, and box 6 days a week.

That's how it is now, but not necessarily how it should be. If you delve into the real trainers of very high level athletes (like they guys who train pro teams and the like), the higher you go the more streamlined they are towards specific goals to improve performance. IMO combat sports are behind in this area. Our program still isn't done, but it's meant to target muscle systems people don't normally think about (erectors, flexors, etc), and the ability to hold positions and balance, receive force, and many other things. The object being not only to improve performance but to push the athletes to be able to do things they don't think they can, which is a great way to build confidence at the same time.

Last edited:
I too im interested in the boxing paddles.

I have the title boxing hit sticks which are pretty cool since its gives my joints a break lol

I'm not one of those "strength is strength," "endurance is endurance," types of people. I know sport-specific training is kind of poo poo'd by modern conditioning gurus, but IMO that's because it basically renders then useless in a wide-open market. I can tell you we've had class athletes from other sports come to our gym and gas out in one round. My guy "Cyclone Mike" just had a revelation about this because he couldn't spar for a long time and just last week he was able to again, but I formatted the sparring different for him. It was extremely taxing to what he's used to, and even in tournament shape he wouldnt have been able to do what was asked, because the guy he sparred is in tournament shape and gassed as much as he did. But they weren't gassed because they're out of shape, they gassed because it was high stress. Conditioning for these sports has to address that, among other things.

Well most athletes gas because they have no experience in fight sports. They are tense, they are hyper active due to adrenaline and that wastes energy. With experience comes relaxation and confidence and you start losing up and safe energy. Fuck my hands gas right now because my new gloves are heavier and I usually hit the bag with the old gloves...

What I was trying to say on previous post was that me, as a white collar guy who does not want to fight I do not need conditioning work out. I take care of myself.

Obviously you have something in mind with your program but that goes for fighters perhaps.

Last edited:
I'm not one of those "strength is strength," "endurance is endurance," types of people. I know sport-specific training is kind of poo poo'd by modern conditioning gurus, but IMO that's because it basically renders then useless in a wide-open market. I can tell you we've had class athletes from other sports come to our gym and gas out in one round. My guy "Cyclone Mike" just had a revelation about this because he couldn't spar for a long time and just last week he was able to again, but I formatted the sparring different for him. It was extremely taxing to what he's used to, and even in tournament shape he wouldnt have been able to do what was asked, because the guy he sparred is in tournament shape and gassed as much as he did. But they weren't gassed because they're out of shape, they gassed because it was high stress. Conditioning for these sports has to address that, among other things.

That's how it is now, but not necessarily how it should be. If you delve into the real trainers of very high level athletes (like they guys who train pro teams and the like), the higher you go the more streamlined they are towards specific goals to improve performance. IMO combat sports are behind in this area. Our program still isn't done, but it's meant to target muscle systems people don't normally think about (erectors, flexors, etc), and the ability to hold positions and balance, receive force, and many other things. The object being not only to improve performance but to push the athletes to be able to do things they don't think they can, which is a great way to build confidence at the same time.

I agree with you on that for sure. One thing I wish I could do more of, should do more of, but never did other than one time was swimming, regarding you mentioning working different muscles etc. Got injured before a fight, was forced to swim to keep my stamina up, best fight of my life. Said I was gonna continue to swim because of it, never followed through with it though.

this was left in my quote thing and apparently I forgot to reply:
IDK much about dobblers program, just that he was in thailand with patrick and the kids team for IFMA worlds. I'm much more familiar with Valor training center.

I think I want to try the boxing paddles to hold for high kicks and some muay thai work. it's a better target for boxing than noodles although if ou get a noodle with a small enough diameter they are pretty easy to move around and not that awkward. I'm a lot quicker with a noodle than I am with a mitt when I want to give someone a corrective smack on the head bc they are dropping their gloves. they start out pretty firm but through use they wear down a bit. I'll buy a bunch of pool noodles for a buck a piece and cut them down to size and keep them at the gym.

its funny because the noodles kicked off the "boxing sticks". ast least I think they did, i saw noodles being used before those sticks came out.

Speaking of homemade equipment, I made my own jab hook and upppercut box via thai pads, soccer ball, and recently added some foam noodles for hand trapping to elbows, as well as slips. Its really cool and I can actually get pretty good work on it. Might look silly, but you find thai gyms regularly tying old thai pads to poles, saekson janjiras instructional shows some great stuff on how to utilize a pole for training as well. And I have come across some of guillermo rigondeuax utilizing DIY equipment as well.

heres my contraption.

Well most athletes gas because they have no experience in fight sports. They are tense, they are hyper active due to adrenaline and that wastes energy. With experience comes relaxation and confidence and you start losing up and safe energy. Fuck my hands gas right now because my new gloves are heavier and I usually hit the bag with the old gloves...

What I was trying to say on previous post was that me, as a white collar guy who does not want to fight I do not need conditioning work out. I take care of myself.

Obviously you have something in mind with your program but that goes for fighters perhaps.

It's not ONLY experience why they gas. Yes most of it is mental but WHY is it mental? It's because there's threat. And even being in very good condition doesnt fully neutralize the threat. Just because you're in good shape doesn't mean you won't get hammered. It could mean you can endure getting hammered for longer, but how is that a good thing?

Conditioning should mean the ability to do the things that keep you safe and competitive for as long as you need to be. That's what conditioning designed to enhance a Sport will give you. So, when people have access to that, then it applies to anyone who wants to do their best at the Sport. Why they're doing the sport at all is irrelevant.

ok guys so my coaching is going part time, its a side gig for me, 2 days a week, we have an average of about 10 guys that show up for the class regularly, same group of guys more or less, some days more some days less.

Anyways, the way I have generally been running classes, is to partner everyone up roughly by same skill level and size and have them to partner drills, I then rotate guys on the pads with me back and forth or also add bagwork into the rotation. Somedays I dont hold pads and rather just monitor each pair of guys and give them correction, some days I gear up and work around with them too.

I then quickly feel the guys out on the pads, and just work on whatever I feel needs improvement or I can "fix" at the moment.

i only have 1 hour, its the last class of the day before gym closes, and owner is usually eager to close up shop and go home. But I regularly go over by about 15 minutes max, just because I have a hard time being able to give everyone the attention they need in that 1 hour but I am still getting it done more or less in the time frame needed.

a few things that frustrate me is how alot of these guys show up to class, and they dont even have a pair of gloves, let alone shinpads, or they do have gloves, but no shinpads. So how the hell am I supposed to have you guys learn to kick or do kick partner drills with no shinpads? The way I see it, if you dont even have the gear to train, you are not very serious about it. I understand expenses etc, but you can only show up to play "golf" without your own golf clubs so many times before its like wtf?

What do you guys think of the way I am running class? any suggestions?

Other situation I am having is I have 2 guys that say they want to fight, which is great I am happy for that. One is not in a rush and wants to learn and get there when he gets there. On the other hand I have another guy who is very eager to rush in and fight, which is great that his heart is in the right place. But the guy is definitely not ready to fight, and needs alot of work as I am not going to send him out there unprepared. He wants to fight in like 2 months, and thinking to myself dude, you need about 6 months of serious dedicated training and then well see where your at. Obviously I didnt say that to him, but I did explain to him I would like him to be at a certain skill level before he goes and fights, so he is not unprepared and able to defend himself. I explained well start working to get him ready, we will next have him start getting some hard sparring in. His response to hard sparring is he doesnt want to get injured before a fight. Well fight is a long way out dude. He also seems to think that his skill level doesnt matter because when he fights hes gonna get in there and go crazy. I explained to him that how he performs in sparring, is going to be much better than fighting etc. He is seeming to take my words the wrong way, as if I am putting him down or not believing in him. How would you guys suggest dealing with him? I am thinking some hard sparring (head gear etc.) is going to be the best way to evaluate him, and slap a little reality into him that he simply is not ready to fight. I mean I am all for this guy fighting and willing to put in the work to get him ready for his first fight but he is really pushing to do it now and he simply is not there yet and wont be for quite some time.

next question, how do you deal with someone, who has poor technique, but still has power, thinks they are above what they are, and are not willing to take instruction because of this. For example, you have a guy who kicks "wrong" but lots of power. so because of this, he thinks you cannot tell him how to kick.

ok guys so my coaching is going part time, its a side gig for me, 2 days a week, we have an average of about 10 guys that show up for the class regularly, same group of guys more or less, some days more some days less.

Anyways, the way I have generally been running classes, is to partner everyone up roughly by same skill level and size and have them to partner drills, I then rotate guys on the pads with me back and forth or also add bagwork into the rotation. Somedays I dont hold pads and rather just monitor each pair of guys and give them correction, some days I gear up and work around with them too.

I then quickly feel the guys out on the pads, and just work on whatever I feel needs improvement or I can "fix" at the moment.

i only have 1 hour, its the last class of the day before gym closes, and owner is usually eager to close up shop and go home. But I regularly go over by about 15 minutes max, just because I have a hard time being able to give everyone the attention they need in that 1 hour but I am still getting it done more or less in the time frame needed.

a few things that frustrate me is how alot of these guys show up to class, and they dont even have a pair of gloves, let alone shinpads, or they do have gloves, but no shinpads. So how the hell am I supposed to have you guys learn to kick or do kick partner drills with no shinpads? The way I see it, if you dont even have the gear to train, you are not very serious about it. I understand expenses etc, but you can only show up to play "golf" without your own golf clubs so many times before its like wtf?

What do you guys think of the way I am running class? any suggestions?

Other situation I am having is I have 2 guys that say they want to fight, which is great I am happy for that. One is not in a rush and wants to learn and get there when he gets there. On the other hand I have another guy who is very eager to rush in and fight, which is great that his heart is in the right place. But the guy is definitely not ready to fight, and needs alot of work as I am not going to send him out there unprepared. He wants to fight in like 2 months, and thinking to myself dude, you need about 6 months of serious dedicated training and then well see where your at. Obviously I didnt say that to him, but I did explain to him I would like him to be at a certain skill level before he goes and fights, so he is not unprepared and able to defend himself. I explained well start working to get him ready, we will next have him start getting some hard sparring in. His response to hard sparring is he doesnt want to get injured before a fight. Well fight is a long way out dude. He also seems to think that his skill level doesnt matter because when he fights hes gonna get in there and go crazy. I explained to him that how he performs in sparring, is going to be much better than fighting etc. He is seeming to take my words the wrong way, as if I am putting him down or not believing in him. How would you guys suggest dealing with him? I am thinking some hard sparring (head gear etc.) is going to be the best way to evaluate him, and slap a little reality into him that he simply is not ready to fight. I mean I am all for this guy fighting and willing to put in the work to get him ready for his first fight but he is really pushing to do it now and he simply is not there yet and wont be for quite some time.

next question, how do you deal with someone, who has poor technique, but still has power, thinks they are above what they are, and are not willing to take instruction because of this. For example, you have a guy who kicks "wrong" but lots of power. so because of this, he thinks you cannot tell him how to kick.
Give it straight to him, don't lead him on thinking he's going to get a fight only to "know" a few weeks out that it was never going to happen. That's going to piss him off even more.

There used to be a guy like that at the old gym (okay lets be real, every gym has this guy) and we gave him a "fight test" where he'd spar with high ranked fighters at semi-hard sparring. If he didn't attend, it meant he wasn't serious and we washed our hands of him til he was really serious. Of course he wasn't, he bailed that.

Your guy sounds like the one I had. Honestly, I don't think he'll fight, he sounds like he just wants the "glory" without putting the work in. The type of guy who just take fights so he can put up social media cred that he's a "fighter" even though he might shell up for most of the rounds.

Give it straight to him, don't lead him on thinking he's going to get a fight only to "know" a few weeks out that it was never going to happen. That's going to piss him off even more.

There used to be a guy like that at the old gym (okay lets be real, every gym has this guy) and we gave him a "fight test" where he'd spar with high ranked fighters at semi-hard sparring. If he didn't attend, it meant he wasn't serious and we washed our hands of him til he was really serious. Of course he wasn't, he bailed that.

Your guy sounds like the one I had. Honestly, I don't think he'll fight, he sounds like he just wants the "glory" without putting the work in. The type of guy who just take fights so he can put up social media cred that he's a "fighter" even though he might shell up for most of the rounds.

yeah exactly, you know the story lol. Gonna have him do some sparring and see how it goes from there. Well see if hes down to put in the work or not. Going to have to go through a bit of a weeding out process but I would really enjoy to have a few guys that are serious about competing.

yeah exactly, you know the story lol. Gonna have him do some sparring and see how it goes from there. Well see if hes down to put in the work or not. Going to have to go through a bit of a weeding out process but I would really enjoy to have a few guys that are serious about competing.
For sure, its everyone's goal when they have a combat sport gym.

Keep watch on the fighters though, Mr. eager-to-rush-in could end up injuring the potential fighters because he might feel you're neglecting him if you do focus more efforts on the first guy (who's to blame anyways, one's serious, the other's all talk). That scenario happened with us: gym warrior Mr "I wanna fight" got so enraged and felt he got passed up when a newer member of the gym who was serious started getting more attention in the camp. At the end it ended bad, dumbass got tuned up by the fight team and eventually left because of it all.

I neglected to mention that I can easily edit the opening post to include info on those of us who are coaches. So it's all right at the beginning of the thread. Then I'll stick the thread.

For sure, its everyone's goal when they have a combat sport gym.

Keep watch on the fighters though, Mr. eager-to-rush-in could end up injuring the potential fighters because he might feel you're neglecting him if you do focus more efforts on the first guy (who's to blame anyways, one's serious, the other's all talk). That scenario happened with us: gym warrior Mr "I wanna fight" got so enraged and felt he got passed up when a newer member of the gym who was serious started getting more attention in the camp. At the end it ended bad, dumbass got tuned up by the fight team and eventually left because of it all.

I cannot recall exaclty how it went, but duane ludwig had posted something about (im just making up numbers here) 1-10 will start the sport 1-100 will fight , 1-1000 will become pro 1-10000 will become champion and 1-1000000 will go onto teach, something along those lines. Have you seen this before?

Back