Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

I cannot recall exaclty how it went, but duane ludwig had posted something about (im just making up numbers here) 1-10 will start the sport 1-100 will fight , 1-1000 will become pro 1-10000 will become champion and 1-1000000 will go onto teach, something along those lines. Have you seen this before?
Never heard that before. Do you mean 1/10 will start the sport? I know you're making up the numbers, but I think more will teach vs going on to be champ

Never heard that before. Do you mean 1/10 will start the sport? I know you're making up the numbers, but I think more will teach vs going on to be champ

yeah now that i think of it i think it was specific to kyokushin, and 1-10000 will get their black belt was in there too. it was a pretty cool post, basically saying he is 1-1000000 for doing everything he did, and going on to coach.

I'm not one of those "strength is strength," "endurance is endurance," types of people. I know sport-specific training is kind of poo poo'd by modern conditioning gurus, but IMO that's because it basically renders them useless in a wide-open market. I can tell you we've had class athletes from other sports come to our gym and gas out in one round. My guy "Cyclone Mike" just had a revelation about this because he couldn't spar for a long time and just last week he was able to again, but I formatted the sparring different for him. It was extremely taxing to what he's used to, and even in tournament shape he wouldnt have been able to do what was asked, because the guy he sparred is in tournament shape and gassed as much as he did. But they weren't gassed because they're out of shape, they gassed because it was high stress. Conditioning for these sports has to address that, among other things.

That's how it is now, but not necessarily how it should be. If you delve into the real trainers of very high level athletes (like they guys who train pro teams and the like), the higher you go the more streamlined they are towards specific goals to improve performance. IMO combat sports are behind in this area. Our program still isn't done, but it's meant to target muscle systems people don't normally think about (erectors, flexors, etc), and the ability to hold positions and balance, receive force, and many other things. The object being not only to improve performance but to push the athletes to be able to do things they don't think they can, which is a great way to build confidence at the same time.
My head coach has been studying to get her S&C trainers certification after months of trying to find someone to help our fighters out. plenty of personal trainers can help you get bigger, faster, stronger, but none of them understand the very specific needs of fighters. finally we ended up deciding it was easier to teach a boxer about S&C than it is to teach a Personal trainer about boxing. she studying her ass of and learning a ton of practical, helpful stuff.
Well most athletes gas because they have no experience in fight sports. They are tense, they are hyper active due to adrenaline and that wastes energy. With experience comes relaxation and confidence and you start losing up and safe energy. Fuck my hands gas right now because my new gloves are heavier and I usually hit the bag with the old gloves...

What I was trying to say on previous post was that me, as a white collar guy who does not want to fight I do not need conditioning work out. I take care of myself.

Obviously you have something in mind with your program but that goes for fighters perhaps.
its funny because my experience is literally the opposite and so is my approach- I expect my fighters to handle their conditioning on their own. my fitness clients expect me to put them through a hell of a work out and help them meet their fitness/body goals.

ok guys so my coaching is going part time, its a side gig for me, 2 days a week, we have an average of about 10 guys that show up for the class regularly, same group of guys more or less, some days more some days less.

Anyways, the way I have generally been running classes, is to partner everyone up roughly by same skill level and size and have them to partner drills, I then rotate guys on the pads with me back and forth or also add bagwork into the rotation. Somedays I dont hold pads and rather just monitor each pair of guys and give them correction, some days I gear up and work around with them too.

I then quickly feel the guys out on the pads, and just work on whatever I feel needs improvement or I can "fix" at the moment.

i only have 1 hour, its the last class of the day before gym closes, and owner is usually eager to close up shop and go home. But I regularly go over by about 15 minutes max, just because I have a hard time being able to give everyone the attention they need in that 1 hour but I am still getting it done more or less in the time frame needed.

a few things that frustrate me is how alot of these guys show up to class, and they dont even have a pair of gloves, let alone shinpads, or they do have gloves, but no shinpads. So how the hell am I supposed to have you guys learn to kick or do kick partner drills with no shinpads? The way I see it, if you dont even have the gear to train, you are not very serious about it. I understand expenses etc, but you can only show up to play "golf" without your own golf clubs so many times before its like wtf?

What do you guys think of the way I am running class? any suggestions?

Other situation I am having is I have 2 guys that say they want to fight, which is great I am happy for that. One is not in a rush and wants to learn and get there when he gets there. On the other hand I have another guy who is very eager to rush in and fight, which is great that his heart is in the right place. But the guy is definitely not ready to fight, and needs alot of work as I am not going to send him out there unprepared. He wants to fight in like 2 months, and thinking to myself dude, you need about 6 months of serious dedicated training and then well see where your at. Obviously I didnt say that to him, but I did explain to him I would like him to be at a certain skill level before he goes and fights, so he is not unprepared and able to defend himself. I explained well start working to get him ready, we will next have him start getting some hard sparring in. His response to hard sparring is he doesnt want to get injured before a fight. Well fight is a long way out dude. He also seems to think that his skill level doesnt matter because when he fights hes gonna get in there and go crazy. I explained to him that how he performs in sparring, is going to be much better than fighting etc. He is seeming to take my words the wrong way, as if I am putting him down or not believing in him. How would you guys suggest dealing with him? I am thinking some hard sparring (head gear etc.) is going to be the best way to evaluate him, and slap a little reality into him that he simply is not ready to fight. I mean I am all for this guy fighting and willing to put in the work to get him ready for his first fight but he is really pushing to do it now and he simply is not there yet and wont be for quite some time.

next question, how do you deal with someone, who has poor technique, but still has power, thinks they are above what they are, and are not willing to take instruction because of this. For example, you have a guy who kicks "wrong" but lots of power. so because of this, he thinks you cannot tell him how to kick.
class structure sounds good. do you have a ciriculum? a structured method to what you teach?
gear is a tough one. one option is just to draw a hard line- "gym gear is for new people only. after your first month with me its off limits." you can also have gear for sale to save people the hassle of having to order it themselves. encouraging/forcing people to buy their own gear helps them take ownership in their own training.

for the guy who wants to fight- i would take him to someone elses gym for sparring. having the home team green light him won't have the same effect as having a total stranger do it. especially if you can get him worked over by someone with 0-3 fights. let him know these are the guys you would be fighting. honest and straight forward with guys is the best way to go about it. I lost a client because I wouldn't sign off on him fighting until he got into better shape. he's training at someone elses gym now and its a coach who will throw him in without a second thought. good riddance.
once you have the reality beat into him, do your best to build him back up a little bit. tell him what you saw that he did right, the potential you saw, the things that you want to build on that will eventually be the framework for his fight plan.

the guy who kicks hard would get 0 advice or coaching from me until he decides to be coachable. fuck off bud, I don't have time to waste on people who refuse to listen.

verified coaches and trainers:
@Sinister
@DoctorTaco
@shincheckin
@right hand lead
@beaglepuss
@Rico
@Cheap Shot
@Sano
@thugpoet
@j123
@AndyMaBobs
@theranch

am I missing anyone?

please reply with:
years coaching or working as a trainer.
job title (gym owner, pad holder, coach, etc.)
amateur or pro fighter experience
any achievements/dick measurements you feel like throwing out there as well.

if im forgetting anything that we should all mention please feel free to add it in and I'll CC the other coaches.

edit: dm me if you're on this list and want in to the facebook group and haven't got your invite

Last edited:
its funny because my experience is literally the opposite and so is my approach- I expect my fighters to handle their conditioning on their own. my fitness clients expect me to put them through a hell of a work out and help them meet their fitness/body goals.
Fitness clients/hobbyists are a bit different than competitors, they're there for you to give them a good workout, and second some knowledge that makes them feel good that they know more than the average Joe and can beat them. They won't, but they need the idea that they can. Its why they do anything combat sport related in the first place.

gear is a tough one. one option is just to draw a hard line- "gym gear is for new people only. after your first month with me its off limits." you can also have gear for sale to save people the hassle of having to order it themselves. encouraging/forcing people to buy their own gear helps them take ownership in their own training.
A month is pretty generous, all the gyms I've been to as a member or dropped by had it for a week, which ended up being 2 sessions. After that you have to get your own. Hell, most have agreements where if you sign up for the 6 or 12 month plan, you get a starter pack with barebones basic gear

for the guy who wants to fight- i would take him to someone elses gym for sparring. having the home team green light him won't have the same effect as having a total stranger do it. especially if you can get him worked over by someone with 0-3 fights. let him know these are the guys you would be fighting. honest and straight forward with guys is the best way to go about it. I lost a client because I wouldn't sign off on him fighting until he got into better shape. he's training at someone elses gym now and its a coach who will throw him in without a second thought. good riddance.
once you have the reality beat into him, do your best to build him back up a little bit. tell him what you saw that he did right, the potential you saw, the things that you want to build on that will eventually be the framework for his fight plan.
That's actually a good idea

the guy who kicks hard would get 0 advice or coaching from me until he decides to be coachable. fuck off bud, I don't have time to waste on people who refuse to listen.
Not giving a shit is an art itself, before I'd care and do what I can to get them to see things, but after awhile, fuck it. If you want to stay that way that's on you.

What showed me this (after numerous tries to get these ones on board) was a new guy walked in and started hitting the bag with no wraps or gloves, the pro prospect said "you should get wrapped up or gloves, so you won't hurt yourself", guy said he wasn't a pussy. And the prospect's reaction was priceless, "k bud.." then just walked away doing his own thing. No shits given.

@Sinister
@DoctorTaco
@shincheckin
@right hand lead
@beaglepuss
@Rico
@Cheap Shot
@Sano
@thugpoet
@j123
@AndyMaBobs
@theranch

am I missing anyone?

please reply with:

if im forgetting anything that we should all mention please feel free to add it in and I'll CC the other coaches.
What's the distinction between a coach and a trainer here? I don't coach fighters (I have coached/trained beginner boxing teams in the past), but I do S&C geared towards athletics, primarily fighting. If that's of any interest let me know, otherwise I don't want to clog up the thread.

What's the distinction between a coach and a trainer here? I don't coach fighters (I have coached/trained beginner boxing teams in the past), but I do S&C geared towards athletics, primarily fighting. If that's of any interest let me know, otherwise I don't want to clog up the thread.
the S&C stuff for fighters is pretty helpful, and ideally this will all be cataloged in the first post of the thread so people won't think/assume that you're a striking guru but will also give you the weight you deserve when talking about S&C.

edit: coach v. trainer- It's an idea that I've been thinking about for a while because I was uncomfortable with being called/considered a coach and considered myself a trainer instead. coaches are more big picture- they should be able to do everything for a fighter outside of just teaching them to fight. trainers are just that- someone who trains someone else to do something. boxing trainers will teach you to box. boxing coaches will teach you how to be a boxer.

@Sinister
@DoctorTaco
@shincheckin
@right hand lead
@beaglepuss
@Rico
@Cheap Shot
@Sano
@thugpoet
@j123
@AndyMaBobs
@theranch

am I missing anyone?

please reply with:
years coaching or working as a trainer

years coaching or working as a trainer:
8 years teaching dutch kickboxing and western boxing.

job title:
assistant head coach and professional pad holder.

amateur or pro fighter experience:
amateur and professional mma fighters, amateur boxers.

any achievements/dick measurements you feel like throwing out there as well:
my fighters have won a few amateur titles, both in mma and boxing.

the S&C stuff for fighters is pretty helpful, and ideally this will all be cataloged in the first post of the thread so people won't think/assume that you're a striking guru but will also give you the weight you deserve when talking about S&C.

edit: coach v. trainer- It's an idea that I've been thinking about for a while because I was uncomfortable with being called/considered a coach and considered myself a trainer instead. coaches are more big picture- they should be able to do everything for a fighter outside of just teaching them to fight. trainers are just that- someone who trains someone else to do something. boxing trainers will teach you to box. boxing coaches will teach you how to be a boxer.
Alright, thanks for the response!

Years coaching or working as a trainer:
- 2 years teaching boxing basics for beginners and about 1 year coaching S&C at various levels
- Recently started teaching more sports specific and biomechanics oriented S&C for striking

Job Title:
- Physical Therapist
- Part time independent S&C coach and part time consultant

Amateur or Pro fighter coaching experience (S&C/physical therapy):
- Work with Pro MMA fighter
- Have competed as an amateur in boxing and Muay Thai

Other:
- Did my bachelors in physiotherapy on concussions and post-concussion syndrome (PCS)
- Currently doing sporadic consultant work at a research and rehabilitation clinic for traumatic brain injury, and at physio school.
- Working on a website that will cover a wide array of topics on S&C for various sports, besides neurology and physical therapy

Last edited:
On a side note, one of the guys whose example I've learned a lot from:

Years coaching or working as a trainer:
- Just received my 15 years of service pin from USA Boxing.
- Opened a successful gym, operated it for 5 years, sold for sizable profit.
- Opened second gym, operating at a profit. Established 10/2/17.
- Extensive experience with finances involved in creating a successful gym entity.

Job title:
- Gym owner, share head coaching duties with brother and co-owner.

Amateur or pro fighter experience:
- Work with amateur boxers, amateur and professional MMA fighters (working exclusively on their hands to supplement).
- Personally competed at the amateur level in boxing.

- Nolan Bros. Boxing and Fitness. Waltham Massachusetts

hey guys, I think @Ryukyu Damashi should be added to the coaches list as well. He runs fairfax BJJ, has been to thailand multiple times I think he is a good coach and knows his stuff

@DoctorTaco the more I "get to know you" the better and better a coach you seem dude. Lets try and link up for sure when/if your in socal.

Job Title: Muay Thai Coach for 10th planet redlands, have had multiple coaching positions for different gyms over the years but I view it much more of just covering or running a class. I was the unofficial assistant coach for a fight gym a long time ago I prefer not to mention as I dont want to give them any shoutouts.

amatuer or pro fight exp: I used to work with Cub Swanson regularly as well as Erik Apple. Outside of that a few local amatuers and a bunch of hobbysists.

Dick Measurements: 3 ft long 2 ft wide.

Achievements: Amateur welterweight champion for IFSPRO sanctioned by IKF Muay Thai. I also won a belt at a local show that is no longer holding fights that was sanctioned by the TBA. My sanctioned record is 8-2. I have 2 unsanctioned fights, 1 muay thai, 1 boxing and plenty of gym wars.

Creator of: AdvancedMuayThaiTechniques aka AMTT, I am hoping to blow this thing up like to Warrior Collective or something similar.

Regarding the classes I am running:

I really have no structure outside of this:

class starts with some stretching
I then partner guys up for partner drills
I rotate guys on the pads with me

Thats the basica layout but what I mean as regards to no structure, I pretty much just wing it on the spot in regards to what drills I will have the guys work.

I then rotate guys onto the pads with me and provide critique on a individual/as needed based on their performance.

Meaning 1 guy may get corrected on his jab and the next guy might get corrected on his footwork, individual/as needed, rather then setting out with the goal of improving everyones "jab" in todays class.

Thoughts and suggestions, as well as drill recommendations would be appreciated. I am thinking of trying to put together some sort of standard class routine with the start of stretching, and then perhaps some standard footwork drills.

Thats the basica layout but what I mean as regards to no structure, I pretty much just wing it on the spot in regards to what drills I will have the guys work.

I then rotate guys onto the pads with me and provide critique on a individual/as needed based on their performance.

Meaning 1 guy may get corrected on his jab and the next guy might get corrected on his footwork, individual/as needed, rather then setting out with the goal of improving everyones "jab" in todays class.

Thoughts and suggestions, as well as drill recommendations would be appreciated. I am thinking of trying to put together some sort of standard class routine with the start of stretching, and then perhaps some standard footwork drills.
Let them bang at the end of every class

my only suggestion is about drill structure- if we are working on countering the jab then I try and do something like this:

Partner A: jab
Partner B: catch and counter with either a jab, a cross, or a low kick.
Partner A: read the incoming counter and block or slip.

This keeps guys from getting sleepy with a
Pre programmed drill and helps them with their reads as well. Once they get this down then you add more variety. A can throw a jab or a cross, or A throws any two strikes, B ,counters off the second. Etc.

i get this - I'm the inverse, i know technique but I'm not the best guy for strength and conditioning. Safe stretching and bodyweight fitness is furthest i go to keep students safe

Sano has been super helpful for me to organize a proper workout routine numerous of times ... and for free. I have to say I understand Strength training, volume and frequency based on his advice and me testing stuff.

He also seems very accurate on selecting proper exercises based on needs.

Anyway, I got six boxers in the upcoming Marciano Tournament. I’ll keep you guys updated on our progress.
View attachment 440757
Tournament update:
Went 3-1 on the night. Strong showing for sure. Our lone loss was a stoppage where we started to come on right before getting caught. It was a third 8 count, and it was warranted unfortunately.

Our first fighter had such a good performance that his opponent’s coach claimed we were sandbagging and complained to the officials. The other kid wasn’t ready for prime time, and I’m not going to apologize for coaching up a skilled boxer. How you act in defeat says a lot more about you than you act in victory.

I’ll update with pics later. No belts yet, but good momentum going into the next round. We were BIG underdogs going into the tournament, but easily had the best showing out of any gym on the night. Our training is starting to pay off, and tonight was vindicating for sure.

Back