Official Coaches and Trainers Discussion

43BC7214-E579-4597-9DCF-53FBB73AB5AE.jpeg

Pic of the whole squad from Saturday. Big dude on the right took home the strap, while The Haitian Boogie Man on the left fights for one next week. I don’t have many great pics of the action unfortunately, but I’ll have a ton of media to upload after our Open House on the 14th.

Yondan in Goju Ryu, training since 2001, teaching since 2006.
Coached an MMA team from 2010-2011

Anyone here working at or running their gym/dojo as a non-profit?
I'm waiting to hear back from the IRS right now, but I'm trying to get started to help veterans since exercise is shown to help with depression and PTSD, as well as having a support network being a big factor in success post service.

if any choose to fight locally and pursue fighting to see how far they can go, i'll definitely have their back every step of the way and do my best to make sure they're ready, for whatever kind of competition they decided to take part in.

Yondan in Goju Ryu, training since 2001, teaching since 2006.
Coached an MMA team from 2010-2011

Anyone here working at or running their gym/dojo as a non-profit?
I'm waiting to hear back from the IRS right now, but I'm trying to get started to help veterans since exercise is shown to help with depression and PTSD, as well as having a support network being a big factor in success post service.

if any choose to fight locally and pursue fighting to see how far they can go, i'll definitely have their back every step of the way and do my best to make sure they're ready, for whatever kind of competition they decided to take part in.
the gym owner is working on that right now. Seems like a smart move

the gym owner is working on that right now. Seems like a smart move
I'm starting from scratch lol. I'm kind of in a limbo right now. despite being able to fundraise as a non-profit (all funds brought in before non-profit status is granted will retro-actively become tax deductible for the donors) with out the official status, it seems wrong to solicit donations to me, and applying for the big grants the grantors require that tax-exempt number.

thats something I have been interested in, once I open my gym, should I run it as a business or as a non-profit. I dont know much about it or how it works exactly, but I am under the impression, when you run it as a non-profit, your still essentially running a profitable business and get to keep whatever profits you do make? if anyone can shed some light on this and how it works that would be great. Maybe for example, you runt it as a non-profit for disadvantaged youth, but the rest of the people still have to pay like its a business?

thats something I have been interested in, once I open my gym, should I run it as a business or as a non-profit. I dont know much about it or how it works exactly, but I am under the impression, when you run it as a non-profit, your still essentially running a profitable business and get to keep whatever profits you do make? if anyone can shed some light on this and how it works that would be great. Maybe for example, you runt it as a non-profit for disadvantaged youth, but the rest of the people still have to pay like its a business?

Our gym is both. Only the amateur club is non-profit

as a non-profit there are a lot of rules about income and some of the rules are pretty nebulous, like how much people can be paid.
If you personally take a decent salary a non-profit CEO you either have a lot of income, or have a damn good lawyer who can explain why you deserve that salary.

YOU still pay income taxes in your salary, but the business pays no income taxes.

Some states offer their own perks to non-profits. I think I heard some states exempt them from property taxes or sales taxes for example.

Tonight is the last night of the tournament. We have two boxers left, both with tough match ups.

Our female is fighting a boxer she’s already lost to twice in the past. Our girl gave her hell the last time, so we’re hoping we made enough modifications to come home with a win this time around.

Our 201 guy is fighting a BIG puncher. Our guy is the superior boxer for sure, but his opponent is going to be dangerous for six full minutes. Our guy is long, tall, and slick. If we keep this kid on the end of our punches, we’re golden. This guy has legit one-punch power though, so we can’t get cute or lazy.

I’ll post pics and results as always.

After this, we have our “Open House” on December 14th, and the Gloves start January 10th. The next month will heavily focus on conditioning above all else.

as a non-profit there are a lot of rules about income and some of the rules are pretty nebulous, like how much people can be paid.
If you personally take a decent salary a non-profit CEO you either have a lot of income, or have a damn good lawyer who can explain why you deserve that salary.

YOU still pay income taxes in your salary, but the business pays no income taxes.

Some states offer their own perks to non-profits. I think I heard some states exempt them from property taxes or sales taxes for example.

what I am confused about is how can you make a living running a business as a non-profit? appearently one of the highest paid positions out there are CEO's of non-profits. So how do you run a business and generate a income and make a living running a non-profit? seems like theres some tricky loophole bullshit going on. As prior to digging a little deeper I was under the impression ppl were doing non-profits out of the goodness of their hearts, not to make a profit however that does not seem to be the case. More like a way of running a business and saving money, getting extra benefits, etc. Take a look at salvation army for example, CEO is a rich bastard.

Industry
In 2014, a nonprofit salary study indicated that the average salary of a CEO was $118,678, but compensation varied, based upon the overall operating budget of the organization. For example, the report indicated an operating budget of a nonprofit organization under $500,000 corresponded with a CEO salary of $60,206. The highest category matched an operating budget of $50,000,000 with a CEO salary of $317,024. End of the year bonuses, in addition to the annual salary, are common in nonprofit organizations.

what I am confused about is how can you make a living running a business as a non-profit? appearently one of the highest paid positions out there are CEO's of non-profits. So how do you run a business and generate a income and make a living running a non-profit? seems like theres some tricky loophole bullshit going on. As prior to digging a little deeper I was under the impression ppl were doing non-profits out of the goodness of their hearts, not to make a profit however that does not seem to be the case. More like a way of running a business and saving money, getting extra benefits, etc. Take a look at salvation army for example, CEO is a rich bastard.

Industry
In 2014, a nonprofit salary study indicated that the average salary of a CEO was $118,678, but compensation varied, based upon the overall operating budget of the organization. For example, the report indicated an operating budget of a nonprofit organization under $500,000 corresponded with a CEO salary of $60,206. The highest category matched an operating budget of $50,000,000 with a CEO salary of $317,024. End of the year bonuses, in addition to the annual salary, are common in nonprofit organizations.
its still a business and salaries can still be paid, the only difference is the non-profit is heavily restricted in what it can do, and all salaries have to be justified to the IRS if they have questions.
Most are actually 100% for the profit of the organization’s executives, but people are willing to give you money for nothing, and you can sell products and services to make money as well lol.

For example the organization I’m starting is for the benefit of veterans so I’m limited to only providing classes to veterans (per how I word the organizing document)
I plan on taking a salary of 5% of the organization’s net profit. Seems plenty reasonable considering I’m the only paid employee

its still a business and salaries can still be paid, the only difference is the non-profit is heavily restricted in what it can do, and all salaries have to be justified to the IRS if they have questions.
Most are actually 100% for the profit of the organization’s executives, but people are willing to give you money for nothing, and you can sell products and services to make money as well lol.

For example the organization I’m starting is for the benefit of veterans so I’m limited to only providing classes to veterans (per how I word the organizing document)
I plan on taking a salary of 5% of the organization’s net profit. Seems plenty reasonable considering I’m the only paid employee

right, so you can open a non-profit gym for veterans who get to go for free, and charge everyone else. You can than market your gym like a "24 hour fitness" or kids karate or what not, where the 99% of your customer base, are not veterans. Am I understanding this right?

Went 1-1 on the night, 6-3 in the tournament, and took home two belts. Feeling pretty good overall.

Our 201 lbs guy boxed wonderfully and controlled the fight against a strong brawler. It was a head-scratching split decision as no rounds were particularly competitive. But a win is a win, and it added a belt to the shelf.

Our female boxer lost a brutal fight. Her opponent is just our kryptonite. She’s super fit, has an insane output, and is like glue. We modified well and likely took the third round, but it was too little/too late. We might have to look into moving down a weight class as we really struggle with this girl.

Now we got a month until the Gloves, so it’s right back to work.

Went 1-1 on the night, 6-3 in the tournament, and took home two belts. Feeling pretty good overall.

Our 201 lbs guy boxed wonderfully and controlled the fight against a strong brawler. It was a head-scratching split decision as no rounds were particularly competitive. But a win is a win, and it added a belt to the shelf.

Our female boxer lost a brutal fight. Her opponent is just our kryptonite. She’s super fit, has an insane output, and is like glue. We modified well and likely took the third round, but it was too little/too late. We might have to look into moving down a weight class as we really struggle with this girl.

Now we got a month until the Gloves, so it’s right back to work.
congrats on the win, and sorry for the loss. That style of fighter can be a nightmare, especially for certain people/personality types.

right, so you can open a non-profit gym for veterans who get to go for free, and charge everyone else. You can than market your gym like a "24 hour fitness" or kids karate or what not, where the 99% of your customer base, are not veterans. Am I understanding this right?
you can set it up like that yes, but that’s not how I’m setting mine up.
But I can apply for grants from government and private institutions, or simply ask for average people for money, and sell merchandise like t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.

you can set it up like that yes, but that’s not how I’m setting mine up.
But I can apply for grants from government and private institutions, or simply ask for average people for money, and sell merchandise like t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.

I suppose I could do the same if I ran it the way I mentioned above? That is now how I plan on running my gym either, just using it as an example of how to use the benefits of a non-profit, while still running a business.

I suppose I could do the same if I ran it the way I mentioned above? That is now how I plan on running my gym either, just using it as an example of how to use the benefits of a non-profit, while still running a business.
yep, the dojo I came up in would probably be a lot more successful than it has been

Someone add my new Facebook profile to the group please

working some mitts with a student, sharing vid just for fun

Back