Coaches that sucks at holding mitts/pads

kenpeters8

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's your opinion on coaches that sucks at holding mitts/pads?

I know that experienced coaches here on the forums have expressed the sentiment that you don't need to use padwork to make a good fighter and that they mostly do other things.

I have no real opinion myself, because I'm not very experienced, but I'm interested in the topic.

I think mitts is important, because it is a drill with a live person in front of you. Now you're following a target, being wary of incoming shots, trying to cut off the angle, etc.

Each coach has the way they do mitts. They shouldn't too much suck, I've even done mitts before, the basics aren't that hard to call out. Only thing I've experienced are different methods.

How do they suck? Can you provide an example?

many more things can be supplemented into training, but the staples for MT fight training would be, pads, clinch, spar.

students shouldnt be holding pads, coaches should be holding pads. If your coach doesnt know how to hold pads as said previously, probably not much of a coach. Even the coaches here who are not big believers on padwork, still know how to do it.

many more things can be supplemented into training, but the staples for MT fight training would be, pads, clinch, spar.

students shouldnt be holding pads, coaches should be holding pads. If your coach doesnt know how to hold pads as said previously, probably not much of a coach. Even the coaches here who are not big believers on padwork, still know how to do it.
There are coaches that got older, and have some old injuries to the point where it's too painful for them to hold pads. Their pad holding skills starts to suck bad because of it. I've seen a handful of head coaches that doesn't hold pads anymore, they just have an assistant to do it. But at fight night, they're the main person talking to their fighter.

I would add heavy bag and shadow for a complete camp for me.

Personally I don't care if it's the coach or the assistant that holds pads. What I don't like is having different persons doing it, as you spend more time trying to adapt to their style, than to do actual work.

I would add heavy bag and shadow for a complete camp for me.

Personally I don't care if it's the coach or the assistant that holds pads. What I don't like is having different persons doing it, as you spend more time trying to adapt to their style, than to do actual work.

lol yes, and down the rabbit hole we go! {<redford}

You say there are coaches who are not big believes of pad work. Can you elaborate on why they say they feel that way? I'm not talking the fancy stuff, I'm talking realistic combinations.

You say there are coaches who are not big believes of pad work. Can you elaborate on why they say they feel that way? I'm not talking the fancy stuff, I'm talking realistic combinations.
Just my own experience here, but I have found Dutch drills and partner reaction drills to be much more constructive than most padwork lately.

We literally just had a novel of a discussion about this in one of these threads around here.

when you are running a gym and have a ton of fighters, there simply isnt enough time in the day to hold mitts for everyone. among many other things. I like pads and am a firm believer in them but, there are ways to get around it. Ill break down quickly my thoughts on all the things that go into fight training

stretching, roadwork/skipping, conditioning, shadowboxing, bagwork, pads, partner drills, sparring, clinching.

theres a million ways to mix those things together, more things can be added or removed etc but thats the jist of it. How you choose to mix your "ingredients" is up to the chef.

We literally just had a novel of a discussion about this in one of these threads around here.

I'm not that invested in Sherdog. Full time student and family man, I do what I can. Read enough books at the university.

when you are running a gym and have a ton of fighters, there simply isnt enough time in the day to hold mitts for everyone. among many other things. I like pads and am a firm believer in them but, there are ways to get around it. Ill break down quickly my thoughts on all the things that go into fight training

stretching, roadwork/skipping, conditioning, shadowboxing, bagwork, pads, partner drills, sparring, clinching.

theres a million ways to mix those things together, more things can be added or removed etc but thats the jist of it. How you choose to mix your "ingredients" is up to the chef.

Okay. I thought you meant they don't do pads because they don't see the benefit of them. If it's a time constraint thing then I got you. Makes sense. We run across that too.

I'm not that invested in Sherdog. Full time student and family man, I do what I can. Read enough books at the university.

Not sure what to make of this response so I'll just say what I think even if it offends you:

Youre here. Read threads that contain the information you need. You seem to have enough time to post, read replies, type replies. I'm in a gym right this second, and have 2 small kids. We're not all going to fly in here to say some shit we already said. Some clicks and some light reading or doing a search isn't gonna hurt you, I promise.

"What's your opinion on coaches that sucks at holding mitts/pads?"

Erm..that they suck? Great thread.

Pad work IMO is more for the coach to guage a fighter. To get the fighter to react to things that they may not be getting on bags or in sparring.

Mitts can also be used simply for a sport specific workout. Using combinations and reactions to keep a fighter moving round after round when they could be personally slacking a bit on a bag instead.

The stated uses above could easily be implemented with supervised bagwork situational sparring. Not to mention pads are kind of a second choice for building things like balance, speed, endurance, and power.

It's all these reasons that a coach might choose to keep padwork to a minimum.

Not sure what to make of this response so I'll just say what I think even if it offends you:

Youre here. Read threads that contain the information you need. You seem to have enough time to post, read replies, type replies. I'm in a gym right this second, and have 2 small kids. We're not all going to fly in here to say some shit we already said. Some clicks and some light reading or doing a search isn't gonna hurt you, I promise.

What I'm saying is that I'm not omniscient in the matters of Sherdog. If I choose to ask another user a question I can do so. I didn't ask you to fly anywhere. You could have conveyed your point without being condescending. I understand you have some position with the forum, but I'm not going to be subjected to anyone online, even if you have Dudley for your profile pic. lol

By the time I did what you suggested, the question may not have been time relevant to me anymore. I'm asking in the moment. If I have a moment to search before I ask a question I will do so. The question was not directed to you. Please don't present me a dogmatic approach to being online. If I have a question I will ask. Also, thanks for your concern. I'm not hurt, I promise.

Back