Cobain was planning on moving Nirvana out of grunge and into experimental new wave

lol WHY do some of you guys think he's trolling?! That was literally the sound the last 2 Nirvana albums had....new wave and weird stuff. Incesticide and In Utero....those albums were not grunge at all. The sound he's talking about moving toward in this interview is exactly what they were moving towards. He wasn't trolling.
Like Mike Patton, Kurt is known for trolling at times. Look at his Top of the Pop performance and Axl Rose antics

two of my favourite bands during that period: nirvana and smashing pumpkins both released b side albums (incesticide and pisces iscariot) and i thought they were great, possibly good enough as an official release as they sounded better than half the shit they were trying to pump out to milk the whole grunge/alternative sound at the time.

that being said, had nirvana gone that route, do you think would grohl have been in it for the long haul? also, if cobain was alive, we may or may not have the foo fighters

Glad it didn't happen because they botched a few cover songs plus hes just trolling in that interview

And yeah, wow was that terrible! lol :eek:

I like how at the end even they were like "that was terrible! where's our bodyguards?" :D

Last edited:
Like Mike Patton, Kurt is known for trolling at times. Look at his Top of the Pop performance and Axl Rose antics

Oh I know, he did that a lot. But I just don't think he was in this interview. I mean he was at times during this interview. But not about moving towards an experimental new wave sound. I just don't think he was trolling about that because that's what they clearly were doing in their last 2 albums. I just wish we'd gotten another 2 albums to hear how much more "out there" they would've gotten with their sound.

Oh I know, he did that a lot. But I just don't think he was in this interview. I mean he was at times during this interview. But not about moving towards an experimental new wave sound. I just don't think he was trolling about that because that's what they clearly were doing in their last 2 albums. I just wish we'd gotten another 2 albums to hear how much more "out there" they would've gotten with their sound.
You could be right since he does not want to associate with the meat heads and bro fans that became accustomed to the bands sound. He did despise those type of fan. He also did have a genuine love for ABBA, Bee Gees and Duran Duran

two of my favourite bands during that period: nirvana and smashing pumpkins both released b side albums (incesticide and pisces iscariot) and i thought they were great, possibly good enough as an official release as they sounded better than half the shit they were trying to pump out to milk the whole grunge/alternative sound at the time.

that being said, had nirvana gone that route, do you think would grohl have been in it for the long haul? also, if cobain was alive, we may or may not have the foo fighters

Yeah I loved Incesticide and I'm pretty sure I had that Smashing Pumpkins album you're talking about and I loved it too. I usually like B Side tracks more than radio releases. Like System of a Down put out a B side album called Steal This Album and it's got some of my favorite tracks of theirs on it. Just weird stuff like there's a crazy song about a pizza, but I love it. Pretty sure System of a Down got a lot of their influence from Nirvana.

And about Grohl I imagine he'd have stuck with them for at least a couple more albums. Why not? They were the biggest band in the world at the time. But he was way too talented for that and eventually he'd have split off and did his own thing anyway. Imo. And I love Foo Fighters.

You could be right since he does not want to associate with the meat heads and bro fans that became accustomed to the bands sound. He did despise those type of fan.

Yep.

He also did have a genuine love for ABBA, Bee Gees and Duran Duran

Did he? Wouldn't surprise me. I know for sure he loved Dio and REM and that type of thing. And the Beatles. In the last interview in the OP he was talking about progressing Nirvana's sound (pretty much what he was saying in that first interview) and he started talking about how much the Beatles progressed their sound and how that influenced him. He was saying they went from "I wanna hold your hand" to "Sgt. Pepper" and how crazy of a progression that was.

Yeah I loved Incesticide and I'm pretty sure I had that Smashing Pumpkins album you're talking about and I loved it too. I usually like B Side tracks more than radio releases. Like System of a Down put out a B side album called Steal This Album and it's got some of my favorite tracks of theirs on it. Just weird stuff like there's a crazy song about a pizza, but I love it. Pretty sure System of a Down got a lot of their influence from Nirvana.

And about Grohl I imagine he'd have stuck with them for at least a couple more albums. Why not? They were the biggest band in the world at the time. But he was way too talented for that and eventually he'd have split off and did his own thing anyway. Imo. And I love Foo Fighters.

some bands are so good and have such a deep catalogue of material that their b-sides are worthy of being a-sides for most other bands.

the first time i heard 'aneurysm' was as a b-side for 'smells like teen spirit'. ('even in his youth' was the other track.) the version of 'aneurysm' on the teen spirit single was slightly different than the ones on incesticide and the live version on from the muddy banks of the wishkah. and at the time, i thought, wow, this song is pretty good, maybe it will end up on a follow-up album.

nope. forever b-side while they were around and then posthumously, a-side

Yep.

Did he? Wouldn't surprise me. I know for sure he loved Dio and REM and that type of thing. And the Beatles. In the last interview in the OP he was talking about progressing Nirvana's sound (pretty much what he was saying in that first interview) and he started talking about how much the Beatles progressed their sound and how that influenced him. He was saying they went from "I wanna hold your hand" to "Sgt. Pepper" and how crazy of a progression that was.
Kurt Cobain use to have his tour bus driver play ABBA songs on the bus. He also has proclaimed his love for Bee Gees in an interview. After Kurt's death, Courtney has said they use to just stay at home during the weekends and play music from Echo and the Bunnymen, Oingo Boingo and Duran Duran

Kurt Cobain use to have his tour bus driver play ABBA songs on the bus. He also has proclaimed his love for Bee Gees in an interview. After Kurt's death, Courtney has said they use to just stay at home during the weekends and play music from Echo and the Bunnymen, Oingo Boingo and Duran Duran

lol that's pretty funny :D

And I can relate on loving Echo and the Bunnymen, Oingo Boingo and Duran Duran. Especially Oingo Boingo.

Attn mods: would you PLEASE STOP moving all music threads to this stupid subforum that nobody visits!? FFS the most recent post as of right now was 8pm YESTERDAY!!!
THAT'S the MOST RECENT post in this black hole of a subforum. Some of us want real time interaction in our threads and we won't get that here. I want to talk about this topic right now...NOT tomorrow evening!

Sorry @BAM but your subforum needs to go away. It was a good idea but It ain't workin bro. Let's be real here. Just my opinion.

Edit: no offense to BAM at all, that dude is cool in my book and he always will be.
None taken. The naming of the forum is an inside joke from the mod booth. The forum and its creation have nothing to do with me.

Alright, I take it all back. He was definitely murdered.

Attn mods: would you PLEASE STOP moving all music threads to this stupid subforum that nobody visits!? FFS the most recent post as of right now was 8pm YESTERDAY!!!
THAT'S the MOST RECENT post in this black hole of a subforum. Some of us want real time interaction in our threads and we won't get that here. I want to talk about this topic right now...NOT tomorrow evening!

Sorry @BAM but your subforum needs to go away. It was a good idea but It ain't workin bro. Let's be real here. Just my opinion.

Edit: no offense to BAM at all, that dude is cool in my book and he always will be.
I would suggest contacting @jei as this forum was his baby when he was a mod and he was supportive of its creation.

None taken. The naming of the forum is an inside joke from the mod booth. The forum and its creation have nothing to do with me.

Ah ok. Just wanted to make sure.

I would suggest contacting @jei as this forum was his baby when he was a mod and he was supportive of its creation.

lol nah I'm good. that probably wouldn't go well.

Alright, I take it all back. He was definitely murdered.
Because of him butting into the new wave genre and new wave bands don't want to share in the pie? Prime suspect A Flock of Seagulls

He wanted Nirvana to move towards a new wave, experimental sound again. Can you imagine the possibilities if he hadn't died?

Nirvana sounding like a new wave band?

Gee... I wonder where he got that idea from...

Of course I can imagine the possibilities if he hadn't died. It would've sounded like Joy Division/Killing Joke/Public Image Ltd.

The problem with Cobain is that for everything he says.. he says something else that contradicts what he said. He talks one minute about how they wanted to be big, and how he wanted to write ‘pop’ tunes then talks a few minutes later about how what he really wanted to sound like was this other way. Dude was a troll in some moments. Anyone that heard ‘You Know You’re Right’ years after his death was hearing exactly what he was writing and going to write going forward and it wasn’t some form of ‘new wave’ or anything like that.

Kurt was a manic type of personality whose sense of self reflection was at the discretion of what hour of the day it happened to be when he was considering it. It’s hard to really know someone like that. And it’s hard to know what to really make of what they say, especially when it involves something they’re strongly attached to. It’s one of the things that made him brilliant as much as it made him tragic and selfish.

No he wasn't. He was being sarcastic about the skinny ties and breakdancing...but watch the whole interview. He talks about it a few times. He was being serious dude, I'm positive. He was done with grunge and wanted to experiment with mixing new wave with something. He just wasn't sure what to mix it with yet.
so he wanted to ripoff Tears for Fears instead of the Pixies?

Back