Cobain was planning on moving Nirvana out of grunge and into experimental new wave

lol WHY do some of you guys think he's trolling?! That was literally the sound the last 2 Nirvana albums had....new wave and weird stuff. Incesticide and In Utero....those albums were not grunge at all. The sound he's talking about moving toward in this interview is exactly what they were moving towards. He wasn't trolling.
Well your gonna get my response 2 days late as predicted.

I also agree this subforum should go. Music discussion was fine in mayberry.

First off I was a pretty big Nirvana fan back in the day. Cobain was a poet, and a great singer.

Theres alot of mystery about what could have been, but at the end of the day i dont really think Cobain had the musicianship to continue to carry a band on his shoulders. Perhaps he would have formed a superband, but the guitar down, and worked on vocals and lyrics.

He basically neglected proper music teaching, which led to him being very innovative... But very limited as a guitar player. He can harp about wanting to write more intricate music.. But he wasent capable.

Who knows, but i suspect Nirvana would have followed suit as faded away slowly like all the grunge bands did.

As far as killing himself. He was a heroin addict. Once you are shooting up smack you are suicidal.
Just watch his interviews in 93 and 94..

Thats the type of guy that shoots his face off using his toe to pull the trigger with a shotgun. Im also a little biased because i met Courtney Love catering this huge Parez Hilton party she performed at years ago. She crushed it and was still in tears talking aboug Kurt while covering one of his tunes. I think its a little fucked up to claim to be a cobain fan and then accuse her of killing him. I know all about that shit justice for kurt says. All a buncha bullshit imo

Well your gonna get my response 2 days late as predicted.

I also agree this subforum should go. Music discussion was fine in mayberry.

First off I was a pretty big Nirvana fan back in the day. Cobain was a poet, and a great singer.

Theres alot of mystery about what could have been, but at the end of the day i dont really think Cobain had the musicianship to continue to carry a band on his shoulders. Perhaps he would have formed a superband, but the guitar down, and worked on vocals and lyrics.

He basically neglected proper music teaching, which led to him being very innovative... But very limited as a guitar player. He can harp about wanting to write more intricate music.. But he wasent capable.

Who knows, but i suspect Nirvana would have followed suit as faded away slowly like all the grunge bands did.

As far as killing himself. He was a heroin addict. Once you are shooting up smack you are suicidal.
Just watch his interviews in 93 and 94..

Thats the type of guy that shoots his face off using his toe to pull the trigger with a shotgun.

Oh hey, Courtney.o_O

I find this interesting. First off, this is a great interview and I've never seen it until tonight. He talks about how the stuff on the Incesticide album was Nirvana's original sound and how that stuff should've come out before the Bleach album. For those who don't know, Bleach came out first and it was almost all "rock" ish sounding stuff. The Incesticide album came out after Nevermind and it was bizarre, experimental, punkish sounding stuff and it's still some of my favorite Nirvana songs. He says that stuff was what Nirvana really was, but the label wanted that rock sounding stuff first, so they did the Bleach album first.

He also says grunge is boring for them. But it was easy and safe because it was popular, but they wanted to move away from the 3 chord progression songs and he wanted Nirvana to close the chapter on grunge entirely. He wanted Nirvana to move towards a new wave, experimental sound again. Can you imagine the possibilities if he hadn't died? I mean, if you're a fan and you're familiar with the tracks on Incesticide....that's the direction he wanted to go towards. Apparently songs like "Hairspray Queen" were what they used to play at college frat parties before the band blew up. Imagine that....that makes me lol :D I'll post Hairspray Queen below for those that aren't familiar with it. lol I just can't imagine somebody playing that at college frat parties.....around 1987 or 1988 no less! (to say they were ahead of their time doesn't do them justice)

Just imagine what more this band could've done if Kurt hadn't died. That weird, experimental, punkish, new wave sound was what Nirvana was moving towards. He says he wanted to take new wave and meld it with something...but he wasn't sure what to meld it with yet. I would've LOVED to have heard what could have been.

Some of this starts @ 15:10 but he talks about it a few times in this interview

Hairspray Queen. Imagine anybody playing this in 1988 at college frat parties <Eek2.0> That's what these crazy mf'ers did!<Lmaoo> Say what you will about Kurt...but he wasn't fake. He really was this weird.

EDIT: Oops....I was mixing up elements of 2 different interviews. THIS vid is where he talks about early days and playing Hairspray Queen at frat parties and how he thinks there should have been an album before Bleach. (my fault!)

Part of this starts @22:40 but he rambles so around 5 mins before this (5 mins give or take) is him talking about playing frat parties. It's funny he talks about playing at house parties and alienating everybody there and running everybody into other rooms to get away from the band :D

The Nevermind album was their absolute peak. It is a great album pretty much from start to finish. In Utero had some good tunes too, but it wasn't quite on the same level. I probably would not have been a fan if they ventured out of grunge.

The Nevermind album was their absolute peak. It is a great album pretty much from start to finish. In Utero had some good tunes too, but it wasn't quite on the same level. I probably would not have been a fan if they ventured out of grunge.

Nevermind had some great tracks but that's far from their best stuff. Kurt even said in the first interview vid in the OP that that album (Incesticide or In Utero) wasn't as commercial as nevermind. And that was purposeful. That's part of the reason I love these guys. That's a total punk rock mentality...."who cares how many records we sell with this thing!?" I love that.

Nevermind had some great tracks but that's far from their best stuff. Kurt even said in the first interview vid in the OP that that album (Incesticide or In Utero) wasn't as commercial as nevermind. And that was purposeful.
Yeah, I completely disagree. Nevermind was breakthrough stuff. The rest of it was not as good.

Hairspray Queen.

Interesting; I'll watch the rest of the interview later, but I read your cliffs. I was about 11 or 12 when Nevermind came out and loved it. My brother then bought Incesticide and while I liked a lot of the songs on it, I was really turned off by the crazy vocals in Hairspray Queen. The song then grew on me. Fast-forward to today and Nevermind hasn't aged well for me; it's mostly nostalgia and remembering where I was when I heard certain songs for the first time.

Truthfully, I don't have a high opinion of Kurt Cobain, or heroin users in general. But, man, what a wasted effort and a glimpse at what could have been. Him and Layne Staley.

Edit: I meant, but forgot, to say that Incesticide and much of In Utero has aged rather well. I never got into Bleach. Also don't care much for the unplugged concert either.

Last edited:
Yeah though I think the point is on the experimental sound rather than Incesticide sound. Incesticide wasnt really that much fun to listen to, had a few good songs but overall I think it was more fun to make than it was enjoyed by the audience. As it is usually with expiremental stuff. But sure, It would be very interesting what they/he would come up with. With his talent....
Though on the other hand I start thinking Silverchair. Young geniuses with perfect grunge sound and the vocalist has enough after 2 and beings experimenting. Hard.. 90% pure sh1t after that.
Though I dont think Kurt would be like that, he proved many times he had excellent taste and capability in combining different genre and style (just think unplugged... Im still baffled how he created that from those old original songs).
Yeah...unfortunate we wont hear.
Have you heard diorama ? It’s their best album imo — many chair fans consider it so as well.

Attn mods: would you PLEASE STOP moving all music threads to this stupid subforum that nobody visits!? FFS the most recent post as of right now was 8pm YESTERDAY!!!
THAT'S the MOST RECENT post in this black hole of a subforum. Some of us want real time interaction in our threads and we won't get that here. I want to talk about this topic right now...NOT tomorrow evening!

Sorry @BAM but your subforum needs to go away. It was a good idea but It ain't workin bro. Let's be real here. Just my opinion.

Edit: no offense to BAM at all, that dude is cool in my book and he always will be.
YpzpJO8.gif

is this you, everytime you don't get an instant response ?

or maybe its me, when I see a thread started by you, no wait, this is me in that scenario

3z9Iptk.gif

zTHS3Hc.gif

who the fuck are you, to ask for an entire sub forum to be closed, just because you don't an instant reply

<Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972>

YpzpJO8.gif

is this you, everytime you don't get an instant response ?

or maybe its me, when I see a thread started by you, no wait, this is me in that scenario

3z9Iptk.gif

zTHS3Hc.gif

who the fuck are you, to ask for an entire sub forum to be closed, just because you don't an instant reply

<Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972> <Prem972>

calm down little man.

Depends on what he means by experimental but the grunge wave died off pretty fast anyhow. Some attribute that to Cobain's death, but it's interesting that by 1995-1996 it was completely dead anyway. Think about how the sound changed in that time, it was bound to happen.

Pearl Jam's sound drastically changed when No Code came out in 1996, compared to what VItology was in 1994.. STP's sound changed a lot from Purple to Tiny Music in 1996.

Depends on what he means by experimental but the grunge wave died off pretty fast anyhow. Some attribute that to Cobain's death, but it's interesting that by 1995-1996 it was completely dead anyway. Think about how the sound changed in that time, it was bound to happen.

Pearl Jam's sound drastically changed when No Code came out in 1996, compared to what VItology was in 1994.. STP's sound changed a lot from Purple to Tiny Music in 1996.

Yeah, Cobain died in 94 iirc and grunge died off right around the same time. But evidently he was already done with grunge by probably around 92.

Smashing Pumpkins sound completely changed too around the mid 90's. I forgot what the album was called but 96 is when they did the 1979 song and this, which blew my mind when I first saw this video and I still love it today:

Edit: I meant, but forgot, to say that Incesticide and much of In Utero has aged rather well. I never got into Bleach. Also don't care much for the unplugged concert either.

I could never get in to the unplugged concert either. And yeah I agree that Incesticide and some of In Utero aged well. Personally I never got that into most of the tracks on Bleach either, but there are a few gems on there, imo. Negative Creep, Mr. Moustache and Downer are still great.

Back