COBRA KAI - Karate Kid TV Sequel (Season One)

If you have seen the entire season one of COBRA KAI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely have no idea what is going on in the life of the first girl I slept with and I would feel incredibly awkward just walking back into her life 20 years later.
Seems weird to me, mine is constantly in the news paper (vehicular assault, theft, random petty crimes) or visibly at gay pride events (threeways must be a gateway drug to the homo amirite) so if I read any of the regional papers I get an update every few months.

And she used to be my wife’s best friend...

But absolutely wouldn’t want anything to do with her and wouldn’t EVER try to start things up, best left as memories

Can't fucking wait for Season 2!

Is there anything like it?

Sequel or spinoff from some classic Martial Arts movie from 80s or 90s?

I mean, you could write that scene. I'm just saying it seems contrived to me.

I definitely have no idea what is going on in the life of the first girl I slept with and I would feel incredibly awkward just walking back into her life 20 years later.

In the case of Johnny and Ali the show makes it pretty clear that they've been out of touch since high school. The last time he was fucking around with her was 1984. It's 2018 now.

As I mentioned before, I think they went into way too much detail about her current life for it not to have been foreshadowing. We know more about her life since KK1 than we do about Johnny's.

And this season made it perfectly clear that Johnny at least never got over her. He is constantly reminiscing about her and equates her with the best time of his life. His beef with Daniel is as much about Ali as it is about losing that tournament. This may be one of the reasons he is stuck in the 80s and has been incapable of moving on.

In my opinion, the show has made it almost a necessity for Johnny to confront his unresolved issues with Ali if he is to have any chance of getting more character development. Even if she doesn't become a regular next season, there will certainly be an episode about Johnny driving to Denver and confronting her.

As I mentioned before, I think they went into way too much detail about her current life for it not to have been foreshadowing. We know more about her life since KK1 than we do about Johnny's.

And this season made it perfectly clear that Johnny at least never got over her. He is constantly reminiscing about her and equates her with the best time of his life. His beef with Daniel is as much about Ali as it is about losing that tournament. This may be one of the reasons he is stuck in the 80s and has been incapable of moving on.

In my opinion, the show has made it almost a necessity for Johnny to confront his unresolved issues with Ali if he is to have any chance of getting more character development. Even if she doesn't become a regular next season, there will certainly be an episode about Johnny driving to Denver and confronting her.

My prediction on how it's going to play out. Johnny is going to finally get on facebook and be a frequently checking out her page wondering whether to pull the trigger or not. He's going to check it one day and see that Alli's last name removes the one of her husbands. Then he'll strike up a convo, they'll chat a bit and spontaneously make a trip to the valley, not knowing of the building rivalry going on between Johnny and Daniel decades later.

Hey! I just thought of a good way to bring Barnes back!

Remember in Karate Kid 3, Barnes had a deal with Silver to get part ownership in the Cobra Kai dojos. And now Johnny has opened a "Cobra Kai" dojo, using that Cobra Kai name. IF Barnes signed that deal with Silver for part ownership of Cobra Kai dojos, and Johnny has now opened a Cobra Kai dojo (and it's doing good business) then Barnes might technically have a legal case for part ownership of Johnny's dojo! Barnes could see something on a martial arts website about Cobra Kai, look into it, realize it's making money, and decide he legally has a right to some of that money. BOOM :eek: Enter Mike Barnes having a showdown with Johnny Lawrence over money from the dojo!

I should totally be a Hollywood writer! :D

Or maybe in Season 2 Kreese comes in and tries to exert influence over Johnny to take over or at least have part control of the dojo. Eventually Johnny tells him to fvk off and he brings in Barnes as his enforcer to try to bully him like he did Daniel.

Or maybe they split and Kreese and Barnes create a third dojo to challenge Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do.

holy shit this show is really good, so much better than i expected in how smart and funny it is. dont be pussies and watch this

Weird. I had no idea she was ever on CSI.

Frankly, that almost seems like slumming it after being a fairly big star for a while, but I'm sure she was appreciative of the work.

I've seen both Leaving Las Vegas and Cocktail, but again, it didn't register with me that was her in either case. Or if I knew at one time, I forgot.

Looking at her filmography, I also realized she was the girl in The Saint.
I loved that movie. In the Era of remakes I always thought that would make a good show. Same with the Phantom and The Shadow

Do you guys think the creators of Cobra Kai made a mistake by going with Youtube Red instead of Netflix or Amazon?
no. Youtube probably offered more. Newer aps/services offer more and sometimes over pay for content to get people to subscribe. I have youtube tv so I get all youtube red content "free"anyways.

saw the first two episodes, better than expected. this show is funny because it is simultaneously politically incorrect yet also PC with the multi racial cast and gang.

Do you guys think the creators of Cobra Kai made a mistake by going with Youtube Red instead of Netflix or Amazon?
I'm surprised netflix passed considering that they have fuller house on there and nostalgia movies like turbo kid.

Is it just me or is the guy playing jhonny shockingly really knocking it out of the park actingwise at times?
The bond with miguel, his reaction to seeing his son at daniels house etc
Hes really doing an awesome job!

Miguel is not the bad guy

He is doing what he thinks he is right

Misguided but not inherently bad

COBRA KAI IS THE BAD GUY
They arent bad per say thats what makes this show so good
He fell for sam
Then his sensei says to watch out for that family giving his side of kk1
Then after really feeling hes connected to sam and standing up for her at the cafeteria she seemingly ignores his texts and replaces him with robbie!
To add to it his sensei gets his car burned by another larusso!
No winder he embraces the cobrai kai teachings and goes hard for the win vs his love rival

All his senseis teachings have been by chance validated or proven before his very eyes so he embraces them!
Robbie becomes the focus for all that anger and confusion after same leaves him....just like jhonny picked on daniel cause of ali and his issues at home (and cause daniel was a prick at times didnt help)

My thoughts on how the show will or should move forward
-Hawk is clearly dutch 2.0 for cobrai kai
-sam has been trained from birth and shown to know stuff the others cant do...gonna kick someones ass season 2

Ep1 of series 2 will pick up right where we left off and jhonny will either
A) straight up knock kreese on his ass and kreese will say hes deserved that but he owns the rights to cobra kai /has money to invest so wants in
B) jhonny will swing for kreese who dfeats him with ease telling jhonny the obvious, that jhonnys outta shape whereas he still has elements of cobra kai karate to teach/has been training hard since the miyagi fight etc ....maybe then talk about how fucked up jhonnys life is and offer to help him rediscover his focus etc

Either way kreese will no doubt be back in the gym and many of the weaker misfits (like brad) will be kicked out ,shit he may even recruit miguels bullies into the gym!

I feel kreese could play on miguels insecurities topry him from jhonny
Maybe the bond between jhonny and miguel could also come under strain when he finds out hes robbies dad!...could even feel jhonnys hesitation at tournament final was trying to sabotage him!! Esp if kreese suggests it!!!
Kreese could also play on how r9bbie almost won one handed....wanna learn ck at is source son?
Or that bullies keep comming back..kreese could teach that miguel about finishing that rivaly with getting miguel to savagely beat his bullies long after hes beat them down to the ground!
Or how jhonny became unfocused due to ali and he shouldnt make same mistake

Future ideas thatd be cool
- barnes comes back as kreeses enforcer after jhonny and or miguel finaly rejects him

- asian bully (forgot name) actualy has distant relation to bad guy from kk2!!
And is taught hiw go fight back

-silver comes back or is constabtly mentioned
Maybe season 3 has him released from jail etc from legal actuon onnhis chmical dumping and he sees daniel as someone to take it out on ,maybe forms alliance with that rival car dealership and uses his remian8ng millions to outprice daniels buisness while attacking him.and his students on various fronts !!!

saw the first two episodes, better than expected. this show is funny because it is simultaneously politically incorrect yet also PC with the multi racial cast and gang.
For crying out loud man, finish it; the series is only 5 hours or so long, and 30 days free youtube red is an option

@shadow_priest_x

Hey Shadow, you ever seen these? It could've been an interesting take, TBH. Barnes wants Daniel's title because his brother were prior champions and he wants to beat the champion to become the champion. Granted, KK3 gave us Terry Silver but it would've been interesting to see how this would've played out. Not to mention, you could've had a Barnes Brothers v Cobra Kai plot for the future. Or you could've had Johnny comeback for the KK3 and help Daniel out, then again I am not sure if Cobra Kai would've worked but Johnny could've said something in the lines of... "I am not doing this for you..."

BTW, Snake was John Avildsen son.

The second video is like a Rated R version of the Karate Kid, lol.

(This one is a bit cringe worthy)

The thing about the cast was it didn't feel forced. The movies where this kind of thing stands out are the ones where it feels shoehorned in like The Last Jedi. There were black and Asian competitors in the tournament in the first film 30 years ago.

Hope its not as garbage as the movie was.
I ended up watching this series. Did not like the original movie but I really, really liked the series. Was quite surprised at how good it was, it had no right to be that good.

@shadow_priest_x

Hey Shadow, you ever seen these? It could've been an interesting take, TBH. Barnes wants Daniel's title because his brother were prior champions and he wants to beat the champion to become the champion. Granted, KK3 gave us Terry Silver but it would've been interesting to see how this would've played out. Not to mention, you could've had a Barnes Brothers v Cobra Kai plot for the future. Or you could've had Johnny comeback for the KK3 and help Daniel out, then again I am not sure if Cobra Kai would've worked but Johnny could've said something in the lines of... "I am not doing this for you..."

BTW, Snake was John Avildsen son.

The second video is like a Rated R version of the Karate Kid, lol.

(This one is a bit cringe worthy)

Huh. . .

That's interesting. No, I have not seen these.

I think that storyline does seem like it could be a legitimate way to go but I don't think that kid there is right for the character of Mike Barnes at all. He was great as Snake though.

Regarding that second video, WTF? Was he just ad-libbing there? Seems hard to believe someone would've written that for a Karate Kid movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back