Coker comments on Bellator ratings downturn

Yes and no, there best ratings come from the guys in the past and some of the guys on the down swing from the UFC. You got have name value on cards for people to even tune into see the up and comers or homegrown talent.

The problem is they put together a decent card on paper and follow it up with crap show after crap show usually. They do nothing to keep any momentum going from event to event. It's like the next card headlined by Budd. The only reason there doing that is to see if these new women viewers that Paramount has pulled in will watch a woman fight in Bellator. It's almost laughable at how Coker utilizes this roster. The dude seriously just can't think big picture long term. Everything is about the next event and that is it. The only time he thinks down the road is about some tournament that will save the day or expanding more and more when you can't even get it right at home right now, its a chaotic mess right now.

The facts are Viacom spent the money securing guys Coker wanted over the last two years. They re-branded the channel to Paramount and overall have attracted more viewers to the channel just like they wanted. But Bellator's ratings have been cut down by 250K or so per an event and Paramount ratings across the board avg. upward. That can't be good for Bellator no matter how we want to spin it. It also tells us that on some level Bellator's old avg ratings were inflated by some lazy non Bellator fans since they have abandon the brand simply cause Paramount doesn't replay whatever sad man show they use to have on for whatever reason.

Solid post. I agree that Coker & Co have no idea (or don’t care) how to capitalize on momentum. After a “tent-pole” show, they’ll have 2 cards in a row with no names and no build up.

I realize they have a smaller roster, but they really don’t do enough with the home-grown talent they possess. Dudes like Pitbulls, Awad, etc, if given the promotional push they deserve, could bolster a smaller card; however, if no effort is made by Coker, the fans are also not going to put in the effort.

There are not enough freakshows to sustain a fight promotion and it delegitimizes the real fighters in the promotion. Why would anyone care about a champion of a circus league?

How many people cared about the champs when they were "legit"?

How many people cared about the champs when they were "legit"?
Bjorn was doing 800k weekly and there was a lot of hype around fighters like Pat Curran and Michael Chandler. Threads would constantly pop up about how Bellator champions would do against their UFC counterparts. Now no one cares. Millions of people watched those freakshow fights like Kimbo vs Dada but they weren't saying "wow Bellator is awesome!" They were saying "wow Bellator is a joke!" No one said that after Chandler vs Alvarez.

I don't know if you read the whole thread. But Paramount's viewership is higher than Spike's total viewership. Mainly cause it isn't be marketing as a "man channel". So all these Spike viewers simply abandon Bellator just because of that???? Those aren't fans you can count on at all. A fan would tune into Lifetime if Bellator was on it. Tells me Bellator's ratings were kind of inflated on Spike which makes sense since the ratings were always very eerie similar for most events regardless of the fight card. It also kind of tells you with that big of an avg. ratings drop does Bellator really have a home with Paramount?? The viewers Paramount is drawing in aren't tuning into Bellator.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom but the facts aren't looking good for Bellator this year. Viacom invested money into expanding the talent level of Bellator and Bellator isn't delivering in the ratings where they make the most of there money. That isn't good on any level and you can't spin that as being good with out looking like a homer/moron.

Paramount having a larger audience than Spike should be seen as an indicator of the potential for Bellator. But it doesn’t mean Bellator will start doing great immediately on Paramount. They are taking 5 steps back to eventually move 10 steps forward and with the rebranding I’m sure Bellator was bracing themselves for an initial drop in views.

Like I said if the data shows the significant bulk of their lost viewers started the first month after spike turned to Paramount then that obviously means a large segment of their audience lost the ability to watch and that’s why their numbers dipped.

If this is true then some of those lost viewers will eventually come back as they start to adjust their TV service to include the Paramount channel. But for the most part Bellator will probably have to make up the loss by adding new viewers and gaining new customers which, in any industry, takes a very long time and a lot of investment.

My point is Bellators loss of viewers was caused by Spike turning to Paramount so y’all should give it some time before criticizing. Give them a year and see if they can gain new viewers.

Last edited:
Bjorn was doing 800k weekly and there was a lot of hype around fighters like Pat Curran and Michael Chandler. Threads would constantly pop up about how Bellator champions would do against their UFC counterparts. Now no one cares. Millions of people watched those freakshow fights like Kimbo vs Dada but they weren't saying "wow Bellator is awesome!" They were saying "wow Bellator is a joke!" No one said that after Chandler vs Alvarez.

Bjorn was also on Spike and in more homes.

Paramount having a larger audience than Spike should be seen as an indicator of the potential for Bellator. But it doesn’t mean Bellator will start doing great immediately on Paramount. They are taking 5 steps back to eventually move 10 steps forward and with the rebranding I’m sure Bellator was bracing themselves for an initial drop in views.

Like I said if the data shows the significant bulk of their lost viewers started the first month after spike turned to Paramount then that obviously means a large segment of their audience lost the ability to watch and that’s why their numbers dipped.

If this is true then some of those lost viewers will eventually come back as they start to adjust their TV service to include the Paramount channel. But for the most part Bellator will probably have to make up the loss by adding new viewers and gaining new customers which, in any industry, takes a very long time and a lot of investment.

My point is Bellators loss of viewers was caused by Spike turning to Paramount so y’all should give it some time before criticizing. Give them a year and see if they can gain new viewers.

I don't know if your in the US or not. But I'm unaware of any Cable/Satellite provider that has taking Paramount and changed the channel number or put it on a different tier. It's all the same channel and same tier as before just a different name. So it takes zero effort to find or watch it.

What we are saying is the typical audience that Spike pulled in seemed more willing to hang around for a Bellaor show if it came on. They are now pulling in new viewers that aren't sticking around and old viewers that stuck around aren't even seeking out Bellator now. Those aren't even fans, I guess. Which probably the cause of the ratings taking a solid 200K dip. Tells me the old numbers were inflated on Spike.

Common sense would say if your TV channel as a whole is pulling in more viewers daily then your product should get more viewers. Most shows that were on Spike and now on Paramount are doing better viewership than before as expected, Bellator isn't. The only logical answer is good 200K have abandoned the product simply because certain reruns of whatever aren't being rerun as much or at all on Paramount like they were on Spike before a Bellator event.

I don't know if your in the US or not. But I'm unaware of any Cable/Satellite provider that has taking Paramount and changed the channel number or put it on a different tier. It's all the same channel and same tier as before just a different name. So it takes zero effort to find or watch it.

What we are saying is the typical audience that Spike pulled in seemed more willing to hang around for a Bellaor show if it came on. They are now pulling in new viewers that aren't sticking around and old viewers that stuck around aren't even seeking out Bellator now. Those aren't even fans, I guess. Which probably the cause of the ratings taking a solid 200K dip. Tells me the old numbers were inflated on Spike.

Common sense would say if your TV channel as a whole is pulling in more viewers daily then your product should get more viewers. Most shows that were on Spike and now on Paramount are doing better viewership than before as expected, Bellator isn't. The only logical answer is good 200K have abandoned the product simply because certain reruns of whatever aren't being rerun as much or at all on Paramount like they were on Spike before a Bellator event.

No you’re wrong. I am in the us and stream tv through Sling. The day spike turned to Paramount I lost the channel and I haven’t been able to watch Bellator live on my tv since. If it happened to some people I’m sure it happened to a lot of people.

So I did eventually find out That I now have the option of adding Paramount for $5 a month but that took me a few months to figure out cause like most 40 yr olds, my wife and I are busy as fuck and figurin our what happened to spike tv was really low priority AND in all honesty it’s probably gonna take me another couple months to order the effin channel.

Btw- I know $5 a month for Paramount doesn’t seem like a lot. But, in almost any industry, when people are used to getting something anything for free and then are asked to pay for it, a high percentage won’t because, no matter how cheap, they feel like they are getting ripped off.

Last edited:
Coker's average is inflated by a couple of freakshow fights. Take them out of the equation and his ratings are worse than Bjorn's who built the promotion on homegrown talent at a fraction of the cost.

Even without the freakshows he's still ahead in EVERY indicator so yeah I guess grass is always greener Right? Lol

In his first year Coker had the exact same budget Bjorn did.........he then got positive uptick in EVERY category so they gave him more to spend.

Moving on....

Anecdote. Coker ratings were generally good when he first got in.
and he's run them into the ground...so what does that say about him as a promoter?

Coker's peak relied on Kimbo Slice. Once he died, so too did their ratings. That's why nowadays the only news we here about Bellator when it comes to ratings is about how bad they are.

and he's run them into the ground...so what does that say about him as a promoter?

So your going to take the stance that it is cokers fault entirely that ratings are down???? Pretty bold lol

Look at the steady decline in viewership period ...the UFC saw ratings lows for some fox cards and prelims as well as a ten year low ppv buy rate.......but maybe that' cokers fault too????

Facts are that numbers are down across the board and plain and simple Bjorn would have failed.Free agents never wanted to go there and there own talent grew tired of tournaments.The entire setup Bjorn had undermined itself the longer it went on the worse it would have been.

Like I said grass is always greener right?

Look at the steady decline in viewership period ...the UFC saw ratings lows for some fox cards and prelims as well as a ten year low ppv buy rate.......but maybe that' cokers fault too????
No, it's because they put Raquel Pennington in a main event.

No, it's because they put Raquel Pennington in a main event.

Few years ago the ufc could of headlined cm punk and would have gotten 150k+ PPV buys.Times have changed .....ufc has oversaturated the US market and it's finally starting to show.

Few years ago the ufc could of headlined cm punk and would have gotten 150k+ PPV buys.Times have changed .....ufc has oversaturated the US market and it's finally starting to show.
Maybe, but look around even on forums like this. Many people have lost interest in Bellator ever since it went down the circus route.

Forget about the circus aspect, the worst part about Coker's Bellator are the irrelevant squash matches. This upcoming Koreshkov fight is the perfect example of that. That's why hardcores are losing interest.

Maybe, but look around even on forums like this. Many people have lost interest in Bellator ever since it went down the circus route.

Look around forums and you see people bitch about whatever bellator does...

They headline events with ex UFC guys and "they are just piggybacking off the UFC they have no stars".

They put cards together featuring homegrown and up and coming talent and "The shows have no name value and they are unattractive to fans."

I have seen people say negative things about the freakshows but I bet they watched lmfao.

It's FACT this year was the lowest ratings mma has seen in quite a while and it's directly related to the UFCs oversaturation.The UFC is showing signs and so is bellator it' just more pronounced in bellator because they don't use PPV model and their ratings were smaller to begin with.

Bjorn would have changed absolutely nothing in fact I'd wager itd be worse.....theres a reason he got fired.

Back