Collection of Best I've faced/trained (Ring Magazine)

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Collected all of the Ring's "best I've faced/trained" available through their website, thought it might be interesting:

edit: see 6th page

Last edited:
Thanks for the post! Reading through Toney, Hatton, Morales etc...

solid, thanks for the share. will look through later, about to do my senior presentations!

the McCallum one is a particularly good read

Very interesting. Chuvalo had possibly the best chin ever. His face was carved from stone

thought I would bump since there are a bunch of new ones that are interesting

Nice. Love reading these while on Vacation.

Neat.
I stopped reading Ring a while back. I'll have to look at some of these.

I love how George comments about fighters from the 70's being more fearsome than the 80's and 90's but Evander could have competed in any era. Great true statement.

lol at Morales.

Is Barrera the best you faced?

"Nah, fuck that guy."

Genius. Was great reading Collins and Benn's entries.

I always like these. I find Herol Graham's to be a bit disingenuous. Kalambay controlled their fight with it, landing it regularly, but apparently no one ever had success with the jab against Herol. Thanks for compiling these, Iron.

Good shit, thanks man. Love this type of stuff.

I always like these. I find Herol Graham's to be a bit disingenuous. Kalambay controlled their fight with it, landing it regularly, but apparently no one ever had success with the jab against Herol. Thanks for compiling these, Iron.

I think a big part of the fun of these isn't just hearing who were the fighters best opponents, but how their personalities affect their selection.

For instance, if you read Duran's (unfortunately not online), he mentions how Buchanan, and not Benitez had the best defense he faced and that EDJ, not Hearns was the best puncher. He blamed those losses on preparation and dehydration respectively. At first I thought that it was just excuse making, but then I thought about Duran and how much pride he had and thought how fitting it was to his personality. Similarly, if you read Hagler's (also not online) and Toney's you can definitely tell that they hold some bitterness towards SRL and RJJ. Calzaghe mentions that nobody's speed stands out to him because of how fast he was.

Anyhow, I'll continue adding them as they come and probably bump it every once in a while. They aren't all online and they don't all correspond perfectly to their published versions (Hatton's version has notable differences between its published and online edition), but they're very fun to read. Glad everyone enjoys them.

Foreman thinks Ron Lyle is better than Ali. Toney thinks McCallum is better than Roy. Thanks for the laughs, guys.

Back