Colten Boushie murder trial

Pseudo Sane

Black Belt
Reaction score
The shooting of Colton Boushie took place in Saskatchewan, Canada in August 2016.

By way of background, you should know that there is, right or wrong, nothing remotely like the castle doctrine in Canada.

There is also a lot of racial tensions between whites and First Nations in Canada.

The reserve system is horribly dysfunctional, and indigenous youth make up 80% of the prison population in Saskatchewan, despite being 15% of the total population in the province.

The case has led to a huge social media backlash and has inflamed racial tensions badly. It has been compared to the Rodney King beating in its controversy, to give you some idea.

Anyway, here are a few articles on the subject.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article...te-farmer-acquitted-of-killing-indigenous-man

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4520214

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/colten-boushie/article32451940/

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-trial-lawyer-defence-case-1.4519655

The facts of the case are as follows, as they came out at trial. You can read the articles for more detail, but this is my hot take:

Boushie and an SUV full of his friends (5 in total), all of whom were from a nearby reserve, had been drinking and swimming all day. They were all between 17 and 24. The evidence is that they were really drunk; one of the witnesses testified to having 30 shots that day.

Their SUV blew a tire. They went onto a farm and tried to steal a car with a rifle they had in the vehicle, but were unable to break the window.

They then came onto the Gerald Stanley farm. Boushie's friends testifued they were there to ask for help with the flat tire.

Stanley and his son, who owned the farm in question, allege they tried to break into a vehicle on the property and to steal an atv. A witness from the SUV testified that he tried to start the ATV, but denied any intent to steal it.

Things escalated pretty quickly from there. The SUV hit a vehicle on the property. Stanley's son cracked the windshield of the SUV with a hammer.

Stanley at some point got a handgun from inside, fired a couple warning shots, and approached the SUV. His version of events is he reached inside, tried to take the keys from the ignition, when the pistol fired unexpectedly. There is some evidence of hangfire. Boushie was shot in the back of the head.

None of the parties had any prior history.

One big issue was that the jury was all white.

Anyway, the jury acquitted, and the backlash has been huge. Politicians have weighed in and everything.

Thoughts Sherdog?

Trudeau is a fucking idiot. He has no idea what went on in the court room, but he sides with the First Nations guy in order to virtue signal. Trudeau has no right to undermine the justice system. Fuck Trudeau.

If it were the same situation, but the races were reversed, then Trudeau would be praising the First Nations guy for being courageous. First Nations people are always the victims no matter what they do.

TS, if everything you stated is true in regards to a previous attempt at stealing a vehicle- which implies malice - and the gun having hangfired- which implies no intent - then the acquittal is justified.

5 assholes came onto someone's property and started stealing shit and ransacking the place, and somehow they are victims? What happened to being polite and asking to use a phone or asking for help?

I absolutely LOL'd @ this gem, "A witness from the SUV testified that he tried to start the ATV, but denied any intent to steal it."

Why are you trying to start an ATV that belongs to someone else if you aren't trying to steal it?

The jury got it right. Just imagine being at home and 5 young, strong and out of control drunk men come onto your property with a gun. For fucks sake.

I have a lot of mixed feelings on the issue, but I do agree that Trudeau proved once again that he's a fucking moron.

On one hand, I don't like the current and continual stigmatization of self defense in Canada.

On the other, Stanley's recollection of events and his alleged actions make me hesitant to support his cause, compounded by the fact that he used a restricted firearm; a handgun, which shouldn't matter, but does in Canada, especially Saskatchewan.

I have a lot of mixed feelings on the issue, but I do agree that Trudeau proved once again that he's a fucking moron.

On one hand, I don't like the current and continual stigmatization of self defense in Canada.

On the other, Stanley's recollection of events and his alleged actions make me hesitant to support his cause, compounded by the fact that he used a restricted firearm; a handgun, which shouldn't matter, but does in Canada, especially Saskatchewan.

If you do not bend over and spread your ass for the criminal trying to harm you and your family, then you are considered a criminal. It is sickening to see how badly the self-righteous leftists have infected Canada.

Crown probably had a chance to convict on a lesser charge.

If you do not bend over and spread your ass for the criminal trying to harm you and your family, then you are considered a criminal. It is sickening to see how badly the self-righteous leftists have infected Canada.
I agree, that part I don't like. But I can't help but feel that Stanley was at least negligent in his use of a firearm. If he didn't intend to shoot, why was his muzzle pointed inside cab while he tried to fish the keys out of the ignition?

Crown probably had a chance to convict on a lesser charge.
He'll almost certainly go through the ringer with the firearms charges that usually accompany such cases.

Wtf is a First Nation people? I don't believe I learned about them in school

5 assholes came onto someone's property and started stealing shit and ransacking the place, and somehow they are victims? What happened to being polite and asking to use a phone or asking for help?

I absolutely LOL'd @ this gem, "A witness from the SUV testified that he tried to start the ATV, but denied any intent to steal it."

Why are you trying to start an ATV that belongs to someone else if you aren't trying to steal it?

The jury got it right. Just imagine being at home and 5 young, strong and out of control drunk men come onto your property with a gun. For fucks sake.

Should have called Dudley Do-Right.
latest

Last edited:
Meh should have been man slaughter imo , it seems to me the guy was reckless .

I grew up near a reserve and never had any problem with the first nations kids I also traveled the west coast while working on fishing boats So I have been on many reserves , there are alot of issues thst our first nations struggle with and they do face alot of racism .

Fucked up situation all the way around

Wtf is a First Nation people? I don't believe I learned about them in school

It's the correct term for most indigenous people in Canada.

There are also the Metis and the Inuit, who are considered distinct from other indigenous groups.

As a further issue, it seems like the prosecution may have fucked up the case, as there was (in my understanding) no expert evidence on whether a hangfire incident actually could have occurred with the round in question.

There was a lay witness for the defence who testified as to having experienced problems with hangfire, and there was a deformed shell casing, but no experts weighed in.

As a further issue, it seems like the prosecution may have fucked up the case, as there was (in my understanding) no expert evidence on whether a hangfire incident actually could have occurred with the round in question.

There was a lay witness for the defence who testified as to having experienced problems with hangfire, and there was a deformed shell casing, but no experts weighed in.
Canada doesn't really have "experts" on the matter...

I don’t understand the full laws in Canada, logically and sanely it seems the right call was made in no conviction.

5 drunk assholes show up on your property attempting to steal shit and with a gun of their own.

You get a gun yourself for defense, in the course of a small scuffle or inside the vehicle the gun you grabbed misfires (or accidental pull, or even if poor decision intentional fire) tragically someone who put himself into a very dangerous for everyone involved situation gets killed. That’s not your fault and you shouldn’t be sent to prison for it

Don't be daft , what a load of " poor white me " playing the victim horse shit

Grow a pair

It's the correct term for most indigenous people in Canada.

There are also the Metis and the Inuit, who are considered distinct from other indigenous groups.
He's just being an ass , but nice breakdown

Back