Columbus statue covered up in LA, Columbus Day removed and replaced by Indiginous Peoples Day

Should Columbus Day be removed and replaced with Indigenous Peoples Day?

• Total voters
I'm not sure he realized anybody was paying attention
These threads get tedious after awhile, feels pointless to respond to everything. But some posts are just inspiringly stupid.

That's so nonsensical as a measure of cultural worth, first of all you have Moby Dick which was written in 1851, so long after everything the Aztecs recorded. And then there's the fact that I would take the Hindu Vedas and Puranas over Moby Dick any day, and they predate it by thousands of years. I know that's a totally different Indian, but we don't consider Moby Dick and its like worthless because there's something valuable of its kind in a different part of the world.

No, what a cultural gives collective humanity has value and can, neigh probably should be categorized

Second, I would take the Hindu Vedas over Moby Dick as well, but the problem is that many of those things do not have the same value, no matter how much we want to look for it.

We can pretend the Aztecs, Eskimos, or Moon Men all have a work of refined culture, subtly, and brilliance that can not be appreciated, or that due to pride, we have to believe all are capable or did produce these things.

When in fact, culture is competitive, as is civilization, and no matter how much I want a rather stately lump of coal to resemble gold, I can not make it so in reality, just in my heart and in the heart's of other men.

Crediting Columbus for the discovery of America, is like crediting Imperial Japan's invasion of Pearl Harbor for the invention of nuclear energy; or Adolf Hitler for the Apollo program.

Christopher Columbus was an evil evil man. Hes literally no different then ISIS. He did it all- genocide, sport killing, looting, pillaging, rape, slavery, pedophilia, etc. He did it all in the name of god. Anyone who defends Columbus while at the same time criticize radical Islam, is a fucking hypocrite.

4wInAQy.gif

I get the feeling Alex Jones thinks the Hindu Verads is a type of dish in an "ethnic" resturant, Moby Dick is a biography on Dick Butkis, and that culture is more about other ethnic foods, most of which he does not like.

No, what a cultural gives collective humanity has value and can, neigh probably should be categorized

Second, I would take the Hindu Vedas over Moby Dick as well, but the problem is that many of those things do not have the same value, no matter how much we want to look for it.

We can pretend the Aztecs, Eskimos, or Moon Men all have a work of refined culture, subtly, and brilliance that can not be appreciated, or that due to pride, we have to believe all are capable or did produce these things.

When in fact, culture is competitive, as is civilization, and no matter how much I want a rather stately lump of coal to resemble gold, I can not make it so in reality, just in my heart and in the heart's of other men.
What you give value to is subjective, unless you believe in a homogeneous hive mind. Plus you're taking one short lived culture among many, a particularly dark and brutal one among its peers in particular, and assigning all cultural value to what they had recorded that survived. No one even speaks the language and can read what was written well enough to be well versed in whatever depth they even had to offer. What great stories or written history survived from the Roman Empire? Are you going to tell me the Romans had nothing to offer?

Crediting Columbus for the discovery of America, is like crediting Imperial Japan's invasion of Pearl Harbor for the invention of nuclear energy; or Adolf Hitler for the Apollo program.

Christopher Columbus was an evil evil man. Hes literally no different then ISIS. He did it all- genocide, sport killing, looting, pillaging, rape, slavery, pedophilia, etc. He did it all in the name of god. Anyone who defends Columbus while at the same time criticize radical Islam, is a fucking hypocrite.

Yes.

Every All Hallows' Eve I tell the local children stories about how Columbus used to wake up every morning and wash himself in the blood of the oppressed native peoples.

It's a real hit!

What you give value to is subjective, unless you believe in a homogeneous hive mind. Plus you're taking one short lived culture among many, a particularly dark and brutal one among its peers in particular, and assigning all cultural value to what they had recorded that survived. No one even speaks the language and can read what was written well enough to be well versed in whatever depth they even had to offer. What great stories or written history survived from the Roman Empire? Are you going to tell me the Romans had nothing to offer?

No, it is not subjective, which is why the Aztecs are not... here.

Their civilization was not conducive to our modern world, or modern values, and what influence it does have is minimal and no doubt checkered at best.

As well whether you, or I, or anyone else thinks Hindu, Chinese, Russo, Finnish, or any other far reaches of culture are grand and subjectively good, does not mean that one is not objectively much better than others in different facets of life.

Whether we use linear or circular logic to get there, and both have their good and bad points, one will still win out if more effective than the other.

Simply put - if the idea works for the life and times of a people, they will adopt that idea.

"Christ the tiger might" swallow the Roman Empire, the Manchurian's might be swallowed by the intrigue of the court eunuchs, but we all more or less make those choices, judgements, and failures together.

Some have worked much, much better than others, and we might opine for a traditional way of life... on a weekend retreat, oh, but to return to a closer shade of that State of Nature, to cannibalize my friend Bobby for the blood gods, or to establish my own imperial Thunderdome to have my enemies and slaves fight it out... that's history, but in culture, our right and sometimes wrong choices through philosophy, religion, and human experience are the only thing giving us the luxury of complaining about the "New World" today.

I think the answer to that question is in my last post, and, also subject to why neither you nor I have to step into a Coliseum.

It kind of makes me wonder what gives you or I that choice to begin with...

Hmm. If all culture and ideas are subjective...

Why not slavery, why not have those slaves fight to the death, why not eat our enemies?

That is not ancient history. We are talking about a few generations ago...

Out of those extremes, we should be able to see that while imperfect, some forces of good ideas are much better than the bad ideas.

Why does might not equal right?

For 1.4 billion people, it does, would most of them in their heart of hearts say "well... are way has it's advantages..." it can sure "get things done," but from a human perspective? All of these questions might just have answers.

So is that your take on it? We're celebrating the colonization of the Americas by the Indigenous Peoples? That's what the people wanting this holiday to be put in are saying? Is celebrating colonizers who kept slaves becoming a thing again? Human sacrifice - all good? Is our general societal concern for the evils of a culture being waived in this case so we can celebrate the original colonization? I do hope that as we're doing this, we don't white wash the history of these colonizers and recognize that they were a bunch of dicks themselves doing horrible, abhorrent things to each other, and we openly include that in our discussion about their accomplishments - like we do with other groups throughout history.
you're vastly exaggerating the actual extent of human sacrifice and you're also being dishonest about your intentions.

my main criticism would be that 'indigenous people' is not a homogenous group, at all, culturally or ethnically. which leads to criticisms such as "but what about HUMAN SACRIFICE".

secondly would be the commercial exploitation of the day. christmas is bad enough already.

Back