Comic movies shifting towards female characters

Post modernists got PhD's finding out what they "really mean".
I mean I don't mind analyzing popular culture but you can't on the one hand complain about "feminazis" or whatever examining movies, declare it's "just a movie" and then go ahead and whine when female centric action movies get pushed.

There are plenty of female superheroes, so I don't see the issue. As long as they're not changing genders of established characters for some progressive agenda, it's no big deal.

Regardless, the movies will live and die on their returns. If the women heroes can dent the BO, you'll see more and more of them. If they can't, you won't. The "agenda" only goes as far as the profit margins. If the women flicks go the way of Ghostbusters, you won't see many of them.
Yeah, basically. They're not pushing this out of ideology but as a marketing ploy.

The primary audience for superhero movies is boys. Boys react best when the hero is a role model to them, and they most closely identify with grown men as role models. So while it is great that there are female heroes being seen in the movies, inevitably, the genre will gravitate back towards its normal formula of male heroes.
or girls will watch superhero movies more because they have more role models?

whatever happened to "it's just a movie?!"

Turns out the all white male fantasy that used to be “just a movie” was the entrinched ideology, and now that there is a new one, all the man-boys and sexists are trying to find themselves.

Listening to people genuinely rage at women in film reminds me of people who don’t think they have an accent.

I mean I don't mind analyzing popular culture but you can't on the one hand complain about "feminazis" or whatever examining movies, declare it's "just a movie" and then go ahead and whine when female centric action movies get pushed.
It's just sherdog. But there's a clear globalist conspiracy behind these films. Fact is nobody knows what's in that yellow colored "butter" they put on movie popcorn. I suspect it's a neurotoxin designed to turn us gay.

or girls will watch superhero movies more because they have more role models?
They will, but they just aren't as interested in superheroes as boys are, so you end up shrinking your potential audience. By a quick check of IMDB's demographic breakdowns, about 5 men watch a superhero movie for every woman that does. Wonder Woman has an abnormally high female viewership at only 4 men for every 1 woman.

I'd imagine they're trying to tap into a broader audience.

The ONLY agenda production companies have, is to make more $$$$.

Not exactly. If this was the case they wouldn't challenge the status quo, they'd just stick with a winning formula.

Turns out the all white male fantasy that used to be “just a movie” was the entrinched ideology, and now that there is a new one, all the man-boys and sexists are trying to find themselves.

Listening to people genuinely rage at women in film reminds me of people who don’t think they have an accent.
yeah my feelings too. they're only tropes and stereotypes when it's convenient to them.

Not exactly. If this was the case they wouldn't challenge the status quo, they'd just stick with a winning formula.

The last 3 star wars, have grossed a fuck ton of money, despite having female leads. Guys are going to go see them regardless, but it may help some women to get interested in the material.

There's always a method behind the madness. These production companies are gambling hundreds of millions of dollars. Sometimes they hit big, other times they miss, but they aren't creating storylines for altruistic reasons. They're trying to find ways to fatten their wallet.

They will, but they just aren't as interested in superheroes as boys are, so you end up shrinking your potential audience. By a quick check of IMDB's demographic breakdowns, about 5 men watch a superhero movie for every woman that does. Wonder Woman has an abnormally high female viewership at only 4 men for every 1 woman.

Beat me to it.

The Pheonix/Dark Pheonix saga was a pretty significant story arc at least in the cartoons. It's actually kind of surprising that they're coming around to it just now.

No issue with this... I mean, some of the greatest protagonists/villains in sci-fi have been women.

I mean, who here doesn't like Ripley from alien 1 and aliens?

Dark Phoenix makes for a great story....she is a fascinating character.

I just hope they don't fuck it all up like they did with apocalypse.

The last 3 star wars, have grossed a fuck ton of money, despite having female leads. Guys are going to go see them regardless, but it may help some women to get interested in the material.

There's always a method behind the madness. These production companies are gambling hundreds of millions of dollars. Sometimes they hit big, other times they miss, but they aren't creating storylines for altruistic reasons. They're trying to find ways to fatten their wallet.

Star Wars is an awful example.

It is literally the biggest franchise of any kind, ever conceived in the entire historical record of humanity. It has also spanned 3 generations of people. People will watch it just because it is Star Wars.

Star Wars is the perfect choice to introduce these types of social agendas because it conditions people and it's like doing it on easy mode because people will watch it no matter what. Same can be said for Marvel characters and all similar things with huge name recognition.

Do you think anyone would go to see a movie called 'the African women that can do math' or would it make more sense to dress it up with Apollo and NASA. (Yes, I know that's a true story)

Do you see the choices you just outlined: they have traditionally made them choose between dressing as a dude (would you like dressing as a woman?) or dressing as a female character that customarily has revealing attire.

dc-comics-wonder-woman-statue-tweeterhead-902973-04.jpg

167799.jpg

latest

etc.

Wood....

All three

The Pheonix/Dark Pheonix saga was a pretty significant story arc at least in the cartoons. It's actually kind of surprising that they're coming around to it just now.

I'll forgive you for forgetting about X-Men 3. We all kind of like to forget about that one.

I'll forgive you for forgetting about X-Men 3. We all kind of like to forget about that one.

basically. x-men 3 was a combo of dark phoenix saga and the mutant virus. probably ranks slightly above both ghost rider movies (meaning bottom of the barrel)...

the only outrage I can see is producers/writers trying to revisit the same story again but since they fucked it up so badly the first time around and it's considered a reset then it makes sense for them to go down the list of the most popular and famous arcs and it doesn't get anymore popular than the dark phoenix saga (days of future past is my personal #1 IMO).

I've actually never read the dark phoenix saga in its entirety. but any decent Marvel fan knows about it.

Last edited:
I'd imagine they're trying to tap into a broader audience.

The ONLY agenda production companies have, is to make more $$$$.

Agree, and the market will determine whether it was a good move.

Back