Comparing GSP's generation with now (MADE SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE)

Reyes

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
GSP cleared 3 generations of WWs:
Gen1 The Hughes & BJs
Gen2 The Alves/Fitches/Koscheks
Gen3 The Shields/Diaz/Condits (the elites brought from other organizations, arguably stamping GSP as a GOAT)

Gen4 (GSP too overworked by now, so he did one fight, PRIME Hendricks)

Now let us compare Sherdog's current top 10 and the PRIMEs of the 3 Gens of GSP's time, not necessarily fought GSP. But just imagine they fought, this would happen most of the time (I'm not saying 10 out of 10 times):

Tyron Woodley < PRIME GSP
NEW Robbie Lawler < Who??????
Stephen Thompson < PRIME Carlos Condit
Douglas Lima < PRIME Jon Fitch (39yearsold now!)
Rory McDonald < Who???????
Raphael Dos Anjos < PRIME Thiago Alves (he was so brutal!)
Colby Covington < PRIME Josh Koscheck
Demian Maia < PRIME Jake Shields
Jorge Masvidal < PRIME Nick Diaz
Neil Magny < PRIME Diego Sanchez (watch Diego vs MW Gassaway)

I wanted to add BJ, Hughes & Parisyan but didn't know where to fit them.
And thinking goddamn Rory! I think he beats all of GSP's 3 gens, except GSP of course.

Non-related:
Forget the Jon Jones GOAT talk, he cleared a generation and a half:
Gen1 Machidas/Rashads/Rampages
Gen2 Gustafssons/Cormiers (This one was half because he was caught cheating)

Last edited:
Yep. GSP was certainly good as he was boring.

your generations are off. hughes was around long before koscheck for example. As was Diaz. As was Alves. weird and stupid idea.

GSP is the most complete fighter ever. Yes.

Current-day WW is a lot better than what GSP fought.

Your generations are way off and your fighter comparisons are ridiculous

NEW Robbie Lawler < PRIME Martin Kampmann (watch Kampmann vs MW McFedries)

Got that far and could go no further,

Sorry TS - Martin Kampmann was good, very underrated but Just Bleed 2.0 Robbie Lawer would destroy him, they couldn't even air it on the news it would be so brutal.

Gen1 The Hughes & Koschecks
Gen2 The Alves & Fitches
Gen3 The Shields/Diaz/Condits (the elites brought from other organizations, arguably stamping GSP as a GOAT)

Gen4 (GSP too overworked by now, so he did one fight, PRIME Hendricks)

Now let us compare Sherdog's current top 10 and the PRIMEs of the 3 Gens of GSP's time, not necessarily fought GSP. But just imagine they fought, this would happen most of the time (I'm not saying 10 out of 10 times):

Tyron Woodley < PRIME GSP
NEW Robbie Lawler < PRIME Martin Kampmann (watch Kampmann vs MW McFedries)
Stephen Thompson < PRIME Carlos Condit
Douglas Lima < PRIME Jon Fitch (39yearsold now!)
Rory McDonald < Who???????
Raphael Dos Anjos < PRIME Thiago Alves (he was so brutal!)
Colby Covington < PRIME Josh Koscheck
Demian Maia < PRIME Jake Shields
Jorge Masvidal < PRIME Nick Diaz
Neil Magny < PRIME Diego Sanchez (watch Diego vs MW Gassaway)

I wanted to add BJ, Hughes & Parisyan but didn't know where to fit them.
And thinking goddamn Rory! I think he beats all of GSP's 3 gens, except GSP of course.

Non-related:
Forget the Jon Jones GOAT talk, he cleared a generation and a half:
Gen1 Machidas/Rashads/Rampages
Gen2 Gustafssons/Cormiers (This one was half because he was caught cheating)
Koschek and Fitch are like a year apart. And Shields is about as old.

But congrats to Steph Curry and the GSW Warriors on beating two generations of NBA stars three generations apart.

your generations are off. hughes was around long before koscheck for example. As was Diaz. As was Alves. weird and stupid idea.

If we were talking about Hughes, his prime stretched from the Newtons & Triggs till the Koschecks.

And Diaz who got beat up by Sherk, Riggs & Sanchez; wasn't Prime Diaz until his late Strikeforce days.

Alves and Fitch, same Generation if you ask most folks. They fought against each other twice!

Got that far and could go no further,

Sorry TS - Martin Kampmann was good, very underrated but Just Bleed 2.0 Robbie Lawer would destroy him, they couldn't even air it on the news it would be so brutal.

Ok, changed Kampmann to:

Come on lawler would tko Kampmann. Different fighters

Ok, changed Kampmann to:
Honestly, that Robbie Lawer causes any WW alot of problems - Prime Fitch might beat him in a 3 round fight but 5 round Robbie is just insane.

Prime GSP would probably ground and pound him out easily...maybe, would kill someone to see that fight - Robbie's takedown defense is amazing nowadays and he might overwhelm GSP on the feet.

Would be really exciting, I do think Fitch has better top control than GSP, very hard to get up when hes on top doing his blanket impression as he takes less risks in attacking than GSP as he doesn't want to bother finish like GSP would....so he'd only need to get Robbie down once per round and prime Fitch was pretty tough.

GSP was ok

SLJ.gif

I see your point but you are downplaying how dangerous wonderboy and lawler can be. Those guys are not lesser than prime condit imo.

Overall the division isn't much more dangerous than GSP's days, just more stacked.

Now fixed Gen1 & Gen2, happy? LOL

Gen1 The Hughes & BJs
Gen2 The Alves/Fitches/Koscheks

Back