COMPETITION LOG - 2017 S&C Deadlift Comp

I'm not going to finish the coan/phillipi deadlift routine. I don't really feel like the progression is realistic for advanced lifters. Maybe I gave up on it too soon, but my si joints were taking a beating to the point where it was effecting day to day activities. Anyway there is another AAU meet next month very close to my house and I'm going to try for a small pr.

Deadlift w/doubled minis
605x1

Hb squat
295x6
315x6x3

Hopefully this provides a valid angle compared to last week's rear view.

Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Routine Week 9

Adjusted desired max from 225kg to 220kg.

Today called for 215kg x 1.

Speed Deadlifts
155kg x 2 sets of 3 reps

Hammer curls
12.5kg each hand x 3 sets of 12 reps

Last edited:
But, don't you pick your progression?
Well kind of but no, the program does. I researched the program a bit and haven't seen a lot of advanced lifters that had much luck with it. Would you suggest resetting my max like milkman did? I'm open to suggestions from you or @JimRussel.

I really have no idea. I've never ran it, nor am I even very familiar with it.

Well kind of but no, the program does. I researched the program a bit and haven't seen a lot of advanced lifters that had much luck with it. Would you suggest resetting my max like milkman did? I'm open to suggestions from you or @JimRussel.

It got hard as fuck really, really quickly. I know that much haha. I feel like I may have overestimated the number I put in. If you only entered a 5 lb PR as a goal, I think you'd still come out stronger than that at the end. If that makes sense.

It's also only 10 weeks. If you're a decently strong, experience lifter, adding even 10 lbs in 10 weeks would be amazing.

Unless you were running it with a boatload of gear, I don't feel it's a very realistic program. You might as well just stick with something that provides longer term, more sustainable strength gains. This is essentially a peaking program.

I found the progression aggressive, and it worked for me, once I was more realistic with my desired max -I guess the proof will be if I can hit the 220kg next week. However as mentioned before, I have a few things working in my favour - 1) my deadlift sucks, so it can only really improve 2) Since coming back from my umbilical hernia op I have kind of experienced newb gains again.

I would imagine someone at your advanced stage would have to be very conservative with your desired max, where a kg or 2 improvement would be pretty huge, whereas I imagine I still have 10's of kilos to add to mine.

deadlift
225x5
275x3
295x3
315x3
335x9 with controlled negative

bench
95x5
115x5
135x3
145x3
155x5
sort of an improvement, couldn't bench 135 couple of weeks ago

db ohp single arm
20lbsx15x5 sets
right arm clicking everytime I try to lock out
curls
75x10x2
hanging leg raises
2x15

Started lifting again after all sorts of nagging injuries. My left side of back (quadratus lumborum I think) was hurting all week, but strangely pain went away after deadlifts.

It got hard as fuck really, really quickly. I know that much haha. I feel like I may have overestimated the number I put in. If you only entered a 5 lb PR as a goal, I think you'd still come out stronger than that at the end. If that makes sense.

It's also only 10 weeks. If you're a decently strong, experience lifter, adding even 10 lbs in 10 weeks would be amazing.

Unless you were running it with a boatload of gear, I don't feel it's a very realistic program. You might as well just stick with something that provides longer term, more sustainable strength gains. This is essentially a peaking program.
Yeah, pretty much what I thought of the program. I may try to run it sometime later, but next time Ill set a very conservative starting max and goal.

Deficit deadlift
605x2

Deficit sldl
415x5
465x5
495x5

Hb squat
315x6x3
355x3
395x3

Ab work

Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Routine Week 10

Singles up to 210kg
220kg - failed, didn't even break it off the floor!

Speed Deadlifts
135kg x 2 sets of 3 reps

Last session before a week's holiday in Turkey. Disappointed I didn't get 220kg, but can work towards that when I return.

I had my 16 year old nephew, 13 year old nephew, and 50 year old brother lifting with me for deadlifts and bench. I just kind of dicked around a bit, but it was a good session.

Deadlift
435 lbs x 1 x 5 sets
455 lbs x 1
475 lbs x 1

Squats
395 lbs x 4 x 2 sets

Front Squat
385 lbs x 1

I have to get my ass back in gear. I've taken enough time off. The leg injury and injection set me back. Then indifference to training settled in and here I am, weigh-in under 200 lbs for the first time in a long time and feeling weak and shitty.

squat
185x5x5

bench
115x5
135x3
165x3
115x10x3 sets

curls
80x10x2

deadlifts
225x5
275x5
325x3
355x8

Just did some deficits today, building work toward better hamstring and a bigger pull.

Deficit Deads
60kgx2x5
90kgx3
110kgx5x3

Deficit Deadlit (1.5")
415 lbs x 2 x 5 sets

I'm bench-only for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to compete bench-only in November.

Time to get swole as fuck.

Last edited:
Back