CONAN THE BARBARIAN TV Series in the Works at Amazon

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
CONAN THE BARBARIAN TV Series in Development at Amazon

958TcFW.jpg

Amazon is developing drama series Conan, based on the books by Robert E. Howard, Deadline has learned. The project hails from Colony co-creator Ryan Condal, Game of Thrones director Miguel Sapochnik, Fargo and The Handmaid’s Tale executive producer Warren Littlefield, Pathfinder Media and Endeavor Content.

Created and written by Condal, Conan retells the classic character’s story via a return to his literary origins. Driven out of his tribal homelands, Conan wanders the mysterious and treacherous world of civilization where he searches for purpose in a place that rejects him as a mindless savage.

Condal executive produces with Sapochnik, who will direct, and Littlefield. Fredrik Malmberg and Mark Wheeler will also executive produce via their Pathfinder Media banner with Endeavor Content as the studio.

The project falls into Amazon’s push into big, fantasy/genre drama series with broad appeal in the mold of Game of Thrones, which is exemplified by the company’s recent big bet on a Lord of the Rings TV series.

Condal admits to having a personal obsession with the material, which Sapochnik also has been a longtime fan of, leading to their collaboration on the project with the creative goal to return to the original Howard literary works and produce a series that is faithful to the spirit of his Conan character. Conan the Barbarian, aka Conan the Cimmerian, was created by Howard in 1932 in a series of fantasy stories published in Weird Tales magazine.

The character has been the subject of a number of screen adaptations, most famously played by Arnold Schwarzenegger on the big screen. There have been two animated TV series and a short-lived 1997 syndicated action-adventure series, Conan the Adventurer, toplined by Ralf Möller.

Condal is the co-creator, executive producer and showrunner of USA’s drama series Colony, currently in its third season. On the film side, he is currently adapting Logan’s Run for Warner Bros and previously wrote a movie about another muscled hero, Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson.

Sapochnik won an Emmy and DGA Award for outstanding directing for the Game of Thrones episode “Battle of the Bastards.” Most recently, he directed the opening episode for Netflix’s Altered Carbon, and is set to direct Bios for Amblin Entertainment, starring Tom Hanks, with Robert Zemeckis and Kevin Misher producing.

Conan the Barbarian TV Series In Works At Amazon From Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik & Warren Littlefield

Should get Arnold's son...the Mexican one

Wonder how much this is gonna be updated for the current generation. Howards depiction of a muscle bound Conan treading through a world of half dressed giant breasted women in scanty clothing probably isnt gonna work as a direct adaptation.

I'll watch.
I'd like to see a death dealer series as well.

Damn, that's fucking hilarious!!
Dude, they're great movies. Just full of gore and nonsense and weird grubby fantasy crap with a giant swole Arnold channeling Crom, the original Just Bleed God.

I've only ever seen 1 thing from Amazon - The Man in the High Castle (which is really good and you should watch it), and the production quality is very high.

If Conan can get the same quality it will be promising.

Last edited:
Dude, they're great movies. Just full of gore and nonsense and weird grubby fantasy crap with a giant swole Arnold channeling Crom, the original Just Bleed God.
For some reason, i thought i had seen these movies. Looking At these gifs and that video, i guess i didn't.

Gonna have to watch em now.

Did he ever have to crawl through a narrow cave only to find a way out at the end of it, and end up on a side of a mountain/cliff?

For some reason, i thought i had seen these movies. Looking At these gifs and that video, i guess i didn't.

Gonna have to watch em now.

Did he ever have to crawl through a narrow cave only to find a way out at the end of it, and end up on a side of a mountain/cliff?
Hmmm I don't remember him crawling through any caves, but it's been a while since I watched them.

The first movie is so full of testosterone, you'll piss hot after watching it:)

My view of the Amazon streaming service has gone up recently, so I'm not super disappointed at them getting the series.

But now that Netflix has gone full NC-17, they seem like the better fit for old school Conan stories.

Let me guess, this will be Conan
latest

Everything is being recycled and turned into a tv series

Back