Concealed Carry .40

Mens Rea**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want a small 40 for concealed carry. Right now I have it narrowed down to three options: Glock 27, Springfield XD subcompact, and Walther PPS.

Glock 27 ~$505
2268_glock_27_40s_w_1.jpg

Springfield XD ~$550
thumb_XD9.gif

or
Walther PPS ~$650
wap10001.jpg

The Springfield and Walther have added safeties which makes them slightly better than the Glock IMO. On the other hand, Glocks are indestructible, uber reliable, and the least expensive.

Walther: On the plus side that Walther is only an inch wide. Minus is that it's $100 more than either of the others and as a single stack, has less capacity.

I like that both the Spingfield and the Walther have factory built magazines which extend below the bottom of the pistol (flush magazines are also available). (You can buy a "plus one" for the Glock but it's after-market.) These magazines effectively convert the subcompacts into compact pistols. Also, both the Springfield and the Walther have loaded chamber indicators.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

xds are just as reliable as glocks IMO...

I agree with the XD reliability issue.

Hold each and fire each if possible.

The XD feels a little better in my hand, but I have shot the Glock and like it a lot.

I was all about the Springfield until I test fired it and the Glock. I went with the Glock because it just felt "tighter." Springfield's a good gun, but it's a new design and I think there are still some kinks to be worked out in it.

I fired 2 boxes of ammo (one box for each gun) and my groups with the Glock were consistently smaller.

The glock's also a teeny, tiny bit more compact. But both are good guns, you'll probably get good service from either.

When springfield has spent as much time developing that line of gun as Glock has, it'll be every bit as good I believe.

I've also heard good things about Walther, but never fired one.

Oh, yeah, Beretta has a new "Glock-like" combat model out, I don't know the name of it, but it looks a lot like their Cougar line. the Sub-compact is supposed to be a nail-driver.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm thinking that I'd pick the XD over the glock because I'd feel so much more comfortable carrying one in the tube with the extra safety on the XD. I just really like the >1 inch width of the Walther.
Oh, yeah, Beretta has a new "Glock-like" combat model out, I don't know the name of it, but it looks a lot like their Cougar line. the Sub-compact is supposed to be a nail-driver.
PX4 Subcompact ~$575
PX4-Storm-Sub-Compact-7.jpg

It's a chubby little thing at 1.5 inches wide (IIRC).

I have a Glock 27 and it works well for me. Sounds like all of the gusn listed are good ones.

How's the reliability of the Walther? If you're reaching for a concealed weapon you want to know it will go bang.

Glock 27 is definitely the way to go . Its what i carry Off-duty and i have never had a problem with it.

For the guys who said G27, do you carry with a chambered round?

I didn't post above, but I carry a G23 everyday with a chambered round. My thoughts: If you ever need to pull it, you want to be able to use it right away. Some people will counter that with "it takes me less than a second to chamber the first round", where I would argue, you might not have the use of both hands, then what? Also, the more rounds available the better. When it comes to safety, each of those weapons have safety features built in, where they won't fire unless you pull the trigger. Guns just don't "go off". Glocks have been dropped from hundreds of feet and not discharged. Just practice good trigger dicipline, as everyone should, and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah- buytheglockbuytheglockbuytheglockbuytheglock. :)

How many rounds do those hold?

ANd I know fuck all about firearms but the triggers on those look split, is that a safety function?

How many rounds do those hold?
I'm heading out the door and going by memory... The Walther is a single stack, so I think it holds 6-7. The other guns hold 9-10 rounds of .40

With a staggered magazine, the gun is more wide. So you carry the extra 3-4 rounds at the expense of having to carry a fatter gun. For example:
Beretta-80-bi-mono.gif

and
p9g26mags.jpg
ANd I know fuck all about firearms but the triggers on those look split, is that a safety function?
Yes.

Cool shit.

My cop buddy has a couple glocks as they were standard issue for his class. My buddy who just graduated was issued a Sig, apparently they're the first class in VPD history to get Sigs.

Dont forget about Taurus. they make excellent pistols and revolvers. I have a Millenium Pro 9mm in titanium finish for concealed carry and its accurate and reliable as fuck. They also have had a contract with Heine sights since 2005 so you get Heine sights with almost every pistol. The figure 8 sights are dope once you get the hang of them.

heres a link to Taurus' .40 cal models...scroll through all the pages -

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm

but if i had to select out of the models you named id go with the Springfield

I didn't post above, but I carry a G23 everyday with a chambered round. My thoughts: If you ever need to pull it, you want to be able to use it right away. Some people will counter that with "it takes me less than a second to chamber the first round", where I would argue, you might not have the use of both hands, then what? Also, the more rounds available the better. When it comes to safety, each of those weapons have safety features built in, where they won't fire unless you pull the trigger. Guns just don't "go off". Glocks have been dropped from hundreds of feet and not discharged. Just practice good trigger dicipline, as everyone should, and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah- buytheglockbuytheglockbuytheglockbuytheglock. :)

ive seen a glock17 first hand that went off when my friend dropped it and ive read on some message boards about people that have had their glocks go off when dropped. IMO its better to have one chambered when theres a safety on the pistol. then no need to cock it just pull the safety down and shoot

Yes, the extended part of the trigger must be depressed before the overall trigger can be pulled. This is one of three safeties on the gun: 1) The trigger safety, which keeps it from going off if it snags on a holster or similar, 2) there is a firing pin safety (internal) that blocks the firing pin from protuding through the bolt face unless the trigger is pulled to the rear, and 3) a drop-safety (internal) which prevents the firing pin from being pulled back and released unless the trigger is pulled to the rear.

In response to posts related to the glock being unsafe or going off when dropped... I'm not being an e-dick, but any story about a glock going off from being dropped is very hard to believe. From an engineering perspective, it isn't possible unless the gun was tampered with or was incredibly poorly maintained. Unless you manage to drop the gun so that the trigger is actually pulled cleanly (and jarring it won't do shit due to the trigger safety). Note that any gun that is tampered with or woefully (and I mean horribly) maintained can have its safety measures compromised - a glock is less likely than most guns (including the other two you posted) to suffer failures of this type, IMO.

Most of this info except for the last opinion can be verified on wiki or any number of other sources. The glock is a safe gun, equally or more safe than any double-action gun or literally all revolvers. It is used by many (many many) law enforcement agencies around the world - many of which put their guns through tests - and to my knowledge NOT ONE has ever caused a glock to fire from a drop.

To the original poster: shoot all three guns and buy the one that feels the best to you. If you can't find a place to do so, then get to know your local gun-owners and it will happen - you will know them soon enough if you are practicing often as all owners should... ;)

Back