Concealed Carry .40

I was all about the Springfield until I test fired it and the Glock. I went with the Glock because it just felt "tighter." Springfield's a good gun, but it's a new design and I think there are still some kinks to be worked out in it.

I fired 2 boxes of ammo (one box for each gun) and my groups with the Glock were consistently smaller.

The glock's also a teeny, tiny bit more compact. But both are good guns, you'll probably get good service from either.

When springfield has spent as much time developing that line of gun as Glock has, it'll be every bit as good I believe.

I've also heard good things about Walther, but never fired one.

new? the model year is 1997
imported as the h-2000 before spingfield bought the design..

Yes, the extended part of the trigger must be depressed before the overall trigger can be pulled. This is one of three safeties on the gun: 1) The trigger safety, which keeps it from going off if it snags on a holster or similar, 2) there is a firing pin safety (internal) that blocks the firing pin from protuding through the bolt face unless the trigger is pulled to the rear, and 3) a drop-safety (internal) which prevents the firing pin from being pulled back and released unless the trigger is pulled to the rear.

In response to posts related to the glock being unsafe or going off when dropped... I'm not being an e-dick, but any story about a glock going off from being dropped is very hard to believe. From an engineering perspective, it isn't possible unless the gun was tampered with or was incredibly poorly maintained. Unless you manage to drop the gun so that the trigger is actually pulled cleanly (and jarring it won't do shit due to the trigger safety). Note that any gun that is tampered with or woefully (and I mean horribly) maintained can have its safety measures compromised - a glock is less likely than most guns (including the other two you posted) to suffer failures of this type, IMO.

Most of this info except for the last opinion can be verified on wiki or any number of other sources. The glock is a safe gun, equally or more safe than any double-action gun or literally all revolvers. It is used by many (many many) law enforcement agencies around the world - many of which put their guns through tests - and to my knowledge NOT ONE has ever caused a glock to fire from a drop.

To the original poster: shoot all three guns and buy the one that feels the best to you. If you can't find a place to do so, then get to know your local gun-owners and it will happen - you will know them soon enough if you are practicing often as all owners should... ;)

trust me the G17 was maintained very well. it was cleaned (disassembled)and oiled after every 4-500 rounds which is what i do with mine. he dropped it with one in the chamber and it shot one off.

How many rounds do those hold?

ANd I know fuck all about firearms but the triggers on those look split, is that a safety function?

I don't carry mine with a round chambered, however a bunch of guys I know do. The split trigger is a sort of safety. I wouldn't carry one chambered unless I had a "safe" holster. Most cops carry a "level 3," I think I got the title right.

From what I understand, some people (Israeli SF) drill chambering a round as they draw, and the film I saw showed that you can get balls fast that way with practice.

My regular mags (i've got a 27) carry 10 rounds, but the cool thing about the new "glock types" is that the mags are interchangeable. I've got a couple of magazines for the full sized .40 and they still fit and fire in my sub-compact.

I have a friend who bought a 30 round mag for his glock 27.... the asshole factor among my friends is pretty high.

I've got one of the Beretta Cougar's, the .45 model.... I LOVE that gun.

so would someone reccomend one of these guns over say... a conceal carry .357 taurus???

so would someone reccomend one of these guns over say... a conceal carry .357 taurus???

Why not just conceal an AR-15 if you're not worried about size and weight? These .40's won't make you walk lop-sided.

You can't go wrong with GLOCK. The most reliable handgun in the world.

I have the XD40 subcompact and it rules.

Both the Glock and XDs are reliable as hell, so it's kinda stupid to factor that into the argument. Try firing both and see which you like better. For most people, it just comes down to which grip angle and safety mechanisms they prefer.

IMO the big question is what you fire normally. Glocks are built with an 11 deg tilt while the xd's are built without. It really is a personal preference thing. If you own glock go with glock and vice versa. A neat feature with the xd is that springfield sells the full 13 round mags with an extended butt plate on the magazine, effectively turning your subcompact into a regular carry weapon. I carry an XD-40 and IMO the feel of it is far superior to the Glock. But then I've been shooting the 1911 style frame for years. Its what I'm comfortable with. Good luck with your choice.

i have a G23 and i love it. that being said, any properly maintained quality cchg is gonna be safely reliable for sd purposes. if your getting into combat situations, where long term field reliability is an issue, then you might need to up the ante in terms of initial purchase price, but then again, you probably would not be looking at a compact or sub-compact type weapon.

for my two pennies worth, proficiency with the weapon under duress, and good maintenance, are maybe more important than brand name.

24ounces will make you walk lopsided???

Even a snub nose .357 is considered a large gun to conceal. When you carry a gun on you for several years, it does take a toll on your body. That is why Officers have alot of back problems. I like the reliablilty of a revolver but semi-autos are so damn good now days and compact ones can hold alot of rounds.

Oh well it doesn't matter since a person needs a CCW to carry a concealed gun.

Even a snub nose .357 is considered a large gun to conceal. When you carry a gun on you for several years, it does take a toll on your body. That is why Officers have alot of back problems. I like the reliablilty of a revolver but semi-autos are so damn good now days and compact ones can hold alot of rounds.

Oh well it doesn't matter since a person needs a CCW to carry a concealed gun.
i needa get me one of those... the license i mean, also im moving to socal soon, can i have your badge number so i can name drop you when im being harassed???

xds are just as reliable as glocks IMO...

+1 i have the glock 40 (the medium sized version 23) but i have shot the XD's and to tell you the truth if i had to decide i would go purely on price because they are both excellent weapons. i would narrow it down to one of those 2

I want a small 40 for concealed carry. Right now I have it narrowed down to three options: Glock 27, Springfield XD subcompact, and Walther PPS.

Glock 27 ~$505
2268_glock_27_40s_w_1.jpg

Springfield XD ~$550
thumb_XD9.gif

or
Walther PPS ~$650
wap10001.jpg

The Springfield and Walther have added safeties which makes them slightly better than the Glock IMO. On the other hand, Glocks are indestructible, uber reliable, and the least expensive.

Walther: On the plus side that Walther is only an inch wide. Minus is that it's $100 more than either of the others and as a single stack, has less capacity.

I like that both the Spingfield and the Walther have factory built magazines which extend below the bottom of the pistol (flush magazines are also available). (You can buy a "plus one" for the Glock but it's after-market.) These magazines effectively convert the subcompacts into compact pistols. Also, both the Springfield and the Walther have loaded chamber indicators.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Ever try a H&K USP COMPACT? They are my favorite handguns and i carry a USP Compact in .45cal everywhere i go. .40 is good but its a little snappy as far as recoil. .45 is a better rd IMO.

Question to Gun Owner's do you collect these guns as a hobby or personal saftey??

I'd go with the GLOCK in 9mm.

why? 1more rd. also 9mm are very common,, as opposed to .40s&w which is less common. Another major factor is 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot.

The choice of rounds is more important than size when you debate the .40 vs 9mm.

Another huge factor on getting the glock is that a replica can easilly be found on craigslist. Practice with your weapon using airsoft.

I still haven't decided.

Ever try a H&K USP COMPACT? They are my favorite handguns and i carry a USP Compact in .45cal everywhere i go. .40 is good but its a little snappy as far as recoil. .45 is a better rd IMO.
I'll check it out. They're single stack, right? I'd sacrifice a couple rounds for a slimmer profile. But how much are they, $750?
Question to Gun Owner's do you collect these guns as a hobby or personal saftey??
This will be for carrying around, so personal safety.

Many people collect and collect and collect. I don't think I'll ever own more than 5 guns at once.

Why are you set on .40s&w?

do some research and look at ballistic testing. statistically 9mm has less one stop hits than .40s&w but this includes the many shoots of 9mm in ball ammunition which is an 1800 design, while .40s&w is a newer design. Using the year 2007 ammo you will see little if any difference.

Understand Shooting a pistol is more about shot placement than anything else. Put one in his head and the lights are out. That is why practice is more important than anything... just like a little martial arts training can get you killed, so will little firearms work. You need to practice if you take on the responsibility of ccw. Practice draw, target id, backstop, shot placement, trigger pull, reload, malfunction, sight picture, shooting is the least of all practiced.
Learn the laws of using your weapon as well...it is so important that you're not another clown with a gun.

I still haven't decided.

I'll check it out. They're single stack, right? I'd sacrifice a couple rounds for a slimmer profile. But how much are they, $750?
This will be for carrying around, so personal safety.

Many people collect and collect and collect. I don't think I'll ever own more than 5 guns at once.

I paid $795 for mine with night sights & 3 mags. Has a nice safety switch so you can carry cocked & locked. www.hkpro.com

Back