Conditioning after lifting

Maaj19

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone got any good routines for conditioning after lifting? I get vored of hitting the bike or treadmill for 10-15. I've looked online but I'm curious as to what sherbros do

I used to play basketball at the gym because I couldn't handle the death gripping boredom of a treadmill or bike. Years of that killed my knees though. Swimming is an option, but that gets boring af also.
Unless I'm partaking in some sort of competitive thing in a team sport, or shooting baskets at least, I can't take cardio.
In reality, unless you can go mountain biking everyday, or something exciting, treadmill and bike are it and most gyms. Once you get into the routine a couple weeks, the boredom passes as the time goes by quicker.

Skipping is a must. A couple of 3min rounds at a decent pace is much better than any treadmil work

Jeff Nippard had a explained youtube clip showing that cardio should really be done at totally different times to lifting weights.

Jeff Nippard had a explained youtube clip showing that cardio should really be done at totally different times to lifting weights.

There was a study a few years back in which a Rugby team was split into three groups. The first group did conditioning right after strength training. The second group left six hours between strength and conditioning training. And the third group did strength and conditioning on separate days.

The group that left 24 hours between sessions made the biggest gains.

Sometimes I'll do a tabata or a couple (2-4) short intervals on the assault bike or rower to finish a lifting session but i won't do a full conditioning workout unless
-I haven't trained all week,
-gone overboard with the pre workout,
-its the weekend and i want to completely rek myself go home binge on food and pass out,
or some combo of the above

I've been doing hill sprints the last few months, because I'd developed Runner's Knee from doing a lot of jogging in prep for a 5 K race. I always programmed the hill sprints for days before I lifted, to allow maximum recovery.

One time I had to miss the Tuesday hill sprints, and decided to make up by lifting on Wednesday morning and sprinting in the afternoon. I figured four hours or so would be enough time to recover between sessions.

Boy, was I wrong. My legs felt like jelly from the first sprint, and I was just above walking speed by the last one. Never again.

Sometimes I'll do a tabata or a couple (2-4) short intervals on the assault bike or rower to finish a lifting session but i won't do a full conditioning workout unless
-I haven't trained all week,
-gone overboard with the pre workout,
-its the weekend and i want to completely rek myself go home binge on food and pass out,
or some combo of the above

Today I did a 30min tabata (20 on/40 off) on the airedyne after a wrestling practice. Vomited three times, ate my wife’s cooking without saying a word, and then fell asleep by 6:30pm. Horrible idea.

Go on the assault bike and cover as much distance as you can in 7 minutes. It'll give you your average RPM's. That's pretty close to your anaerobic threshhold. Do 3x:30 at 120% of those RPMs, resting until your heart rate returns to 130 beats/minute between each.

The next week do 4.

Week 3, do 5. On week 4, increase the RPM by 5-10 and start over again at 3.

I’d say jumping rope, like 12-20 min, maybe work in some intervals

I like mixing in circuits. One favorite-

-Sled push ~50 feet

-KB swings for 30 reps

Alternate that for 10-15 minutes. Each time you do it, try to get more rounds in than the next.

It's a way to go back and forth between a knee dominant and hip dominant exercise, while also getting the shoulders some endurance work.

Both are pretty friendly to the joints too, at least compared to running.

If you don't have a sled, putting a 45 lb plate on the carpet and pushing it will get the job done.

I suspect the type of conditioning is important as well. Following up a max effort Squat or Deadlift session with Prowler Sprints for AMRAP until one side of your face is numb and you're puking on your shoes is a recipe for burn out. A slow jog in the Zone 2 heart rate might be different, and could even qualify as a form of active recovery as well as conditioning.

Last edited:
Today I did a 30min tabata (20 on/40 off) on the airedyne after a wrestling practice. Vomited three times, ate my wife’s cooking without saying a word, and then fell asleep by 6:30pm. Horrible idea.
Did something similar yesterday, but with a mile sprint. Overtraining gets progressively easier with age.

Anyone got any good routines for conditioning after lifting? I get vored of hitting the bike or treadmill for 10-15. I've looked online but I'm curious as to what sherbros do
If you are lifting seriously then you should probably not do HIIT afterward. Is it usually suggested to do LISS after weights, reserving cardio (HIIT/Tabata/Sprints) for days when you are not lifting.

Skipping is a must. A couple of 3min rounds at a decent pace is much better than any treadmil work

I like this though usually I use skipping as my warm up. Easy enough just to do some after (work on moves for a couple mins if normal skipping is boring. One legged, reverse, criss cross, double unders and whatever variations you can think of).

If skipping isn’t your thing or you want something different you can always just walk (low intensity steady state) after a workout. Straight after or hours later. The low intensity means it won’t eat into the energy/recovery capacity required by your strength work.

Back