Conditioning FAQ version 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick question, do i need to do heavy weights for strength and conditioning or can i do lighter weights? i'm looking to get stronger for my boxing and muay thai.
I don't think boxing benefits from huge amounts of max strength.

Getting to a intermediate level of strength, with good posture/muscle balance/motor patterns, should be enough. Then you can focus solely on power and endurance.

I don't think boxing benefits from huge amounts of max strength.

Getting to a intermediate level of strength, with good posture/muscle balance/motor patterns, should be enough. Then you can focus solely on power and endurance.
undoubtedly boxing training would take precedent over strength training if your goal were to be a better boxer. What would you define as an intermediate level of strength? Is it fair to say you should be as strong as you can be without making sacrifices to your boxing training to progress further in strength training? seems like a pretty good guideline for what is undoubtedly a moving target.

undoubtedly boxing training would take precedent over strength training if your goal were to be a better boxer. What would you define as an intermediate level of strength? Is it fair to say you should be as strong as you can be without making sacrifices to your boxing training to progress further in strength training? seems like a pretty good guideline for what is undoubtedly a moving target.
Any amount of strength training would "require sacrifices to your boxing training", as it would take away training time, energy and recovery resources from boxing training.

I would say definitely milk all the noob gains, and all the gains in proper muscle function. As an educated/based-on-my-experience/out-of-my-ass estimation, for most people that would take somewhere between 1-2 years of putting some focused effort to max strength work (which might seem like a lot to ask from a 28-yo pro boxer, but is pretty reasonable when it comes to a long-term athletic development plan for a younger individual).

I love this thread but I wish it would give examples of certain exercises for each energy system

I love this thread but I wish it would give examples of certain exercises for each energy system
Exercises can be anything, as long as they follow the basic principles (intensity, duration, work:rest ratios, etc.). The higher the intensity, the more sport-specific it needs to be.

For instance, for a MT fighter, general aerobic work could be running, but it could also be swimming, rowing, etc. High intensity work could be pad work, bag work, light sparring, etc. (HIIT sprints for an MT fighter wouldn't be the best idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back