Confessions of a mittologist

They don't hit my hands. Lol

Just partner drills, so in other words they box in sequences until they understand what they have to do in basic situations. Then when you see that understanding, you remove the sequences.

yeah im not saying they rip on someones hands like mitts, just that punching hands is a pretty natural way of teaching, thus why mitts were invented. my thoughts on order of importance would go: sparring, partner drills, padwork, bagwork. I know the whole thread is about removing pads or whatever, thats just my thoughts. Your guys are most likely doing better in the sparring videos posted etc I would guess because they probably have alot more sparring experience over the other guys. At the end of the day I believe sparring is the best thing. If you want to get good at fighting, you have to fight.

The sequences you mentioned makes sence. this way you have an "answer" for something.

Last edited:
This guy never did mitt work, sparring or hit the heavy bag and yet he was able to take out Tong Po. So yeah, mitt work is overrated.
kickboxer-jean-claude-van-damme-1577421-320-434-e1448421515103.jpg

yeah im not saying they rip on someones hands like mitts, just that punching hands is a pretty natural way of teaching, thus why mitts were invented. my thoughts on order of importance would go: sparring, partner drills, padwork, bagwork. I know the whole thread is about removing pads or whatever, thats just my thoughts. Your guys are most likely doing better in the sparring videos posted etc I would guess because they probably have alot more sparring experience over the other guys. At the end of the day I believe sparring is the best thing. If you want to get good at fighting, you have to fight.

The sequences you mentioned makes sence. this way you have an "answer" for something.

This was from tonight:

Some are doing preliminary drills, two pairs are doing advanced. There's two sets who are using a basic 1-2, the other is just catching the 1-2. But those are actual catches, how I want them to catch the punches if they actually catch an opponent's punch. That's one of the things about a well-constructed drill, almost no part of it is arbitrary.

I mentioned Daijon earlier, well he was just hitting bags until his turn with one of the more advanced guys and when he got in there, they worked a drill and were laughing and having fun, WHILE breaking down the steps of the drill. Some other fighters I trained, when I began this format, as I said they got VERY upset. Suddenly it wasn't about just them individually...which made boxing just no more fun for them. But these same types also showed worriesome personality traits outside of boxing...the kinds that tank careers even if they know how to fight very well. These students are learning to be stronger than that, more independent than that, how to think for themselves and respond correctly in situations without needing to be babysat.

This was from tonight:

Some are doing preliminary drills, two pairs are doing advanced. There's two sets who are using a basic 1-2, the other is just catching the 1-2. But those are actual catches, how I want them to catch the punches if they actually catch an opponent's punch. That's one of the things about a well-constructed drill, almost no part of it is arbitrary.

I mentioned Daijon earlier, well he was just hitting bags until his turn with one of the more advanced guys and when he got in there, they worked a drill and were laughing and having fun, WHILE breaking down the steps of the drill. Some other fighters I trained, when I began this format, as I said they got VERY upset. Suddenly it wasn't about just them individually...which made boxing just no more fun for them. But these same types also showed worriesome personality traits outside of boxing...the kinds that tank careers even if they know how to fight very well. These students are learning to be stronger than that, more independent than that, how to think for themselves and respond correctly in situations without needing to be babysat.

yeah thats good stuff, when im training for a upcoming fight the last thing I want to do is get partnered up with someone and have to hold pads for them. I much rather do some partner drills like your guys are doing here. I got no problem hitting pads lol but i rather do partner drills then hold them thats for damn sure. We do alot of "dutch" drills, essentially the stuff you see Duane Ludwig having his guys do quite a bit. although alot of his stuff is geared towards mma so its a bit different for kickboxing. Anyways, heres an example of myself with a friend of mine who actually happens to be one of duanes pro MMA fighters doing some drills as well.

another thing everyone should take into consideration on this thread regarding padwork is that theres some guys who look great on pads and fight like crap, and some guys that look like crap on pads but fight great. So padwork is not always a reflection of how someone fights or their skill level.

^Yes that's VERY good. That reminds me of the "light" sparring the Thais do a lot, and when I got a chance to train with one myself and a guy I trained with did that for him once and from that moment on every single time I ever saw him he wanted us to do it for like 40 minutes. The ONLY thing I'd suggest is both of you hold your hands up as if you're holdings mitts habitually, giving the opponent a visual cue. I'd remove that. Just stand naturally and when his punches come, catch them with as small a motion possible as if he were throwing to hit you, just with a subtle spacing difference (meaning he isn't throwing both punches directly at your chin, but don't put your hands on either side of your head).

^Yes that's VERY good. That reminds me of the "light" sparring the Thais do a lot, and when I got a chance to train with one myself and a guy I trained with did that for him once and from that moment on every single time I ever saw him he wanted us to do it for like 40 minutes. The ONLY thing I'd suggest is both of you hold your hands up as if you're holdings mitts habitually, giving the opponent a visual cue. I'd remove that. Just stand naturally and when his punches come, catch them with as small a motion possible as if he were throwing to hit you, just with a subtle spacing difference (meaning he isn't throwing both punches directly at your chin, but don't put your hands on either side of your head).

gotya

I also noticed, in your video, when the guys are catching the punches, they are doing it, as if they were really catching the punches, meaning left jab to opponents right hand, right cross to opponents left hand. I think this is better than the way we are doing, as we are holding the glove like a mitt, catching the jab on the left hand, and right cross on the right hand.

This was from tonight:

Hey Sin, who is the cat in the middle of the ring with the adidas gloves And sweatpants? He looks familiar, I think its one of the dudes I saw in the gym when I was down there

gotya

I also noticed, in your video, when the guys are catching the punches, they are doing it, as if they were really catching the punches, meaning left jab to opponents right hand, right cross to opponents left hand. I think this is better than the way we are doing, as we are holding the glove like a mitt, catching the jab on the left hand, and right cross on the right hand.

Yes indeed. This makes it directly translate to sparring better.

Hey Sin, who is the cat in the middle of the ring with the adidas gloves And sweatpants? He looks familiar, I think its one of the dudes I saw in the gym when I was down there

Yeah that's Christian. "Veneno"

Yes indeed. This makes it directly translate to sparring better.

Yeah that's Christian. "Veneno"

Ah yes thats his name! Has he been outta the gym for a while? I dont recall seeing him in any of your more recent vids

Yes, he's only been back for like 2 weeks. He was out for over a year.

I like his style a lot. That pull back is dope. Copied a lot of his moves from that video of him shadowboxing in my own shadowboxing routines jaja

Also, shadow boxing. So many people I know don't ever (never have) done shadow boxing.

Man this thread is a goldmine. Im currently prepping for my first interclub as a year and half muay thai student and I always felt kind of bad that there aren't that many good padholders at my gym so I decided to substitute it for light sparring and lots of partner drills. I feel like I am taking less damage/hits and feel more confident during the harder sparring in general. Also, It made me realize what my flaws are in my stand up game.

I do use thai or belly pads for some drills though but I dont do that many long sessions of just hitting pads with a coach or classmate. I run or skip rope for my cardio as needed.

gotya

this is the one reason i'm not really into beginners holding pads (i know your certainly not a newbie, which makes it a lot different). when a person learns to hold pads before they can block properly, it tends to cause them to react with the wrong hands. this is a terrible trait. beginners are far better off getting comfortable parring punches before holding pads.

this is the one reason i'm not really into beginners holding pads (i know your certainly not a newbie, which makes it a lot different). when a person learns to hold pads before they can block properly, it tends to cause them to react with the wrong hands. this is a terrible trait. beginners are far better off getting comfortable parring punches before holding pads.

i agree dude, pad holding is a skill/art in itself, thats another reason why the whole everyone partner up and hold pads for eachother system is flawed. Partner drills can be similar in a way, as your using your gloves as pads so if the guy is a noob and awkard, its not gonna flow well either. The best way to combat this is have guys of similar skill level partner up, but this cant always be done.

i agree dude, pad holding is a skill/art in itself, thats another reason why the whole everyone partner up and hold pads for eachother system is flawed. Partner drills can be similar in a way, as your using your gloves as pads so if the guy is a noob and awkard, its not gonna flow well either. The best way to combat this is have guys of similar skill level partner up, but this cant always be done.
you see it a lot in australia, due to lack of space and punching bags. two rows of complete novices aimlessly wacking away at the pads, the bit i find even more amusing is that guy that thinks he is the coach and is always correcting every one else's technique, despite the fact that he is the newest and by far the worst in the gym. i had some bloke trying to coach me through a sparring session a while ago, despite the fact i have boxed for fifteen years and he had about six months practice. i got the shits with that after a while and sunk one into his liver, he stopped telling me when i did something good after that.

you see it a lot in australia, due to lack of space and punching bags. two rows of complete novices aimlessly wacking away at the pads, the bit i find even more amusing is that guy that thinks he is the coach and is always correcting every one else's technique, despite the fact that he is the newest and by far the worst in the gym. i had some bloke trying to coach me through a sparring session a while ago, despite the fact i have boxed for fifteen years and he had about six months practice. i got the shits with that after a while and sunk one into his liver, he stopped telling me when i did something good after that.

lol, or when older guys try and coach just because they are old but with no exp. Or how about when you take it easy on beginners in sparring that are trying to take your head off, yet they are such beginners they have no idea your taking it easy on them till you gotta wack them once to let them know to chill out. <Eek2.0>

lol, or when older guys try and coach just because they are old but with no exp. Or how about when you take it easy on beginners in sparring that are trying to take your head off, yet they are such beginners they have no idea your taking it easy on them till you gotta wack them once to let them know to chill out. <Eek2.0>
always fun. nothing like enlightening the noobs. sometimes a bit of a slappin is a good learning experience. it certainly happened to me enough times.

Back