Confessions of a mittologist

always fun. nothing like enlightening the noobs. sometimes a bit of a slappin is a good learning experience. it certainly happened to me enough times.

i really hate when your practicing striking only, you get the better of an mma guy, so they decide to slam you.

i really hate when your practicing striking only, you get the better of an mma guy, so they decide to slam you.
thankfully i'm that mma guy, i have never bitched it enough to go for a takedown when sparring striking though. if they kick the shit out of me i convince them straight boxing would really improve their punching ability and we should spar a few rounds like that. if they are a better boxer i tuck tail and run.

Lol! I have a confession. I've never picked up and slammed anyone like that before but there have been sometimes of frustration where I've changed levels and let my sparring partners "run into my shot" I've never been a dick and actually finished the takedown lol, but I do like to show them where a takedown could be.

Lol! I have a confession. I've never picked up and slammed anyone like that before but there have been sometimes of frustration where I've changed levels and let my sparring partners "run into my shot" I've never been a dick and actually finished the takedown lol, but I do like to show them where a takedown could be.

which is alot cooler then getting slammed. I had a guy do just that, i was thinking ok you got me, and figured he would take me down, not slam me, but no, full on slam.

Having gone away and learned a few things about Boxing from some really experienced Amateur coaches including one who started Boxing in the 50s ive almost completely changed my opinion, i still think for Muay Thai Padwork with a good catcher is compulsory but when it comes to Boxing for actual Fighters (Fitness clients is a different thing) that padwork isn't 100% a must. the core principles of Boxing aren't gong to necessarily improve from padwork as 9 tmes out of 10 they're just banging away trying to be as fast and slick as possible (which i suppose is a way to build confidence but that's a whole other debate) when really actual 'Boxing' comes from all the other shit that IS'NT punching. What a lot of the more old school coaches in this country seem to use is the Coach-spar gloves as opposed to pads. And From my understanding padwork can still be a useful tool but depending on the coach and their ability, doing flashy long combinations or conditioning seems like a pointless way to tendinitis to me whereas actual fault correction or sharpening someone up before a fight still seems like a viable use for it But hey that's just my two Cents.

Also @Sinister watching some of the Videos in this thread i have to say a lot of your guys seem to have excellent foot position in their actual stance as it were i don't necessarily mean footwork but the actual stance itself looks like the Textbook version

Also @Sinister watching some of the Videos in this thread i have to say a lot of your guys seem to have excellent foot position in their actual stance as it were i don't necessarily mean footwork but the actual stance itself looks like the Textbook version

Thanks

So far I've learned from this forum is that shadow boxing and pad work aren't necessarily. I say we just eliminate partner drills and sparring and get all of our training from YouTube videos and a heavybag.

So far I've learned from this forum is that shadow boxing and pad work aren't necessarily. I say we just eliminate partner drills and sparring and get all of our training from YouTube videos and a heavybag.

You do as you please. But your hyperbole is unnecessary.

This is just a salty statement and you're a much better poster than that. I dont know about the shadowboxing thing, whoever backed that notion is an imbecile.

That said, boxing has existed in very high quality LONG before mitts became a big deal. Saying they're not absolutely necessary is not controversial. Its rooted in fact.

About going 100% power. An odd thing, I noticed recently that the less time my students spent doing things as hard as possible the quicker their bodies learn how to do them at all. It's incredibly difficult to force form and when you fully mash the gas pedal down, some form WILL be sacrificed. I'm still experimenting, but it's looking like the more time they spend relaxed with an emphasis on holding positions and changing them, the tighter they remain when they do go to maximum exertion.

My 2 cents on the whole pads debate is they can be removed as many have already demonstrated here. Theres obvious benefits to pads, which has already been discussed as well. I would prefer to keep pads, as IMO any training program plus padwork would be better than that same program without. They can be removed, but keeping them isnt going to cause any harm. I would prefer pads/drills/spar over drills/spar. I do also feel padwork is more important for MT then other combat sports. The thais training generally consists of pads/clinch/spar. I think one of the main benefits and big differences of training in thailand vs the US is that in a thai gym, you will get to hit pads with the coach 1 on 1 regularly.

Last edited:
About going 100% power. An odd thing, I noticed recently that the less time my students spent doing things as hard as possible the quicker their bodies learn how to do them at all. It's incredibly difficult to force form and when you fully mash the gas pedal down, some form WILL be sacrificed. I'm still experimenting, but it's looking like the more time they spend relaxed with an emphasis on holding positions and changing them, the tighter they remain when they do go to maximum exertion.

agree 100%, everyones form and body mechanics goes out the window once they start trying to "go hard". The hard part I have is getting guys to chill out, their form is horrible on their kick, and rather than listen or learn, they just try to keep ripping their kick as hard as possibe, its strong but the form and technique behind it is horrible.

Something you can do on a heavy bag
Sure, but my heavy bag can't throw a roundhouse at me, let me catch it and fire back.

Maybe there is a difference in strictly Boxing pad holding but in Muay Thai it's a very dynamic interactive experience that cannot be replicated with a heavy bag.

agree 100%, everyones form and body mechanics goes out the window once they start trying to "go hard". The hard part I have is getting guys to chill out, their form is horrible on their kick, and rather than listen or learn, they just try to keep ripping their kick as hard as possibe, its strong but the form and technique behind it is horrible.

This is likely why the Thais are so big on the light sparring. You can practice holding your form longer and without feeling the need to try and force it

This is just a salty statement and you're a much better poster than that. I dont know about the shadowboxing thing, whoever backed that notion is an imbecile.

That said, boxing has existed in very high quality LONG before mitts became a big deal. Saying they're not absolutely necessary is not controversial. Its rooted in fact.

I'd say more snarky than salty, I'm not legitimately upset.

I know you come from a Boxing background and I totally respect your opinion here. I can agree that partner drills can be more beneficial, but I think a lot has to do with the level of student you are dealing with.

When I hold pads for students, I have either focus mits on my hands or Thai pads on my arms, a belly pad, and shin gaurds. The experience is much like sparring. I can throw a kick, have the student check and kick or punch back. I can work knees and clinching. I can hang a kick shield on my thigh and use a mitt with my free hand to work punch/kick combinations. There's so much that can be done in these one on one pad holding sessions, and I've seen drastic improvements in students that do private pad holding classes with me.

I think the main issue with pad holding at least in MT/KB in the US is typically you're having students hold for other students, and most people aren't good at holding pads.

Now, I am a big fan of Dutch style combination pairing drills.

I think all of this stuff is important, but you won't find a gym that is creating top level NakMuay that aren't doing padwork.

This is likely why the Thais are so big on the light sparring. You can practice holding your form longer and without feeling the need to try and force it

right, cant do it slow cant do it fast. I am actually getting a bit frustrated having to deal with the 99% of the people that come through the doors now that I am taking my coaching job serious. Everyone hits horribly wrong but hard and think they are a champ and are unwilling to learn. You only get a few guys that are able to be taught. I even get this with guys with many fights.

I think all of this stuff is important, but you won't find a gym that is creating top level NakMuay that aren't doing padwork.

I agree with the majority of what you have posted in regards to both the drills, and the US system of "partnering up" a fail as no one knows how to hold the pads

Last edited:
Back