Congratulations Justin Gatlin

Lesnar Defender

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Justin Gatlin has just become the 2017 100m World Champion! He is the first American to win it since the great Tyson Gay in 2007. Christian Coleman finished in second. The future is bright for American Athletics.

Glad he threw a spanner in the works.

One of the first athletes to be banned by the CIR test, its not like he passed the Jamaican Anti doping agency tests for the majority of his career (after they were created in 2009).

Gatlin has been banned twice. I don't see how is running faster at 35 and clean after being a two time busted doper.

He is not running faster. His PB is 9.74 and today he did 9.92. His competition is getting slower.

9.92 is pretty bad for someone who actually trains the 100M.

It would be interesting to see how this time stacks up against past winners.

Brings to mind the cycling race where a guy who won in 2011 would have come 40th in the Armstrong era.

Although If I recall correctly sprinting already had that moment mid balco scandal when Kim Collins became world champ running 10.3 or something.

What happened to that Canadian dude that people were hyping up as the future after the Olympics? I caught a glimpse of the standings and didn't see him.

What happened to that Canadian dude that people were hyping up as the future after the Olympics? I caught a glimpse of the standings and didn't see him.

Torn Hamstring. Has the fastest time in the world this year.

Donovan Bailey?

Yeah, makes it even more sad.

9.92 is really bad in 2017.

I wouldn't have even taken the medal TBH.

Prime BD with 3.5 weeks training...

What's your time?

My approximate guess [data driven] is 9.003.

Donovan Bailey?

Andre De Grasse. The former 100/200 NCAA champ from U$C

BTW - Jeff Demps has the 5th fastest time in the world this year.

100 METRES MEN OUTDOOR 2017
  • 1. 9.69Andre DE GRASSE
    CAN.gif
    CAN
  • 2. 9.84Ben Youssef MEITÉ
    CIV.gif
    CIV
  • 3. 9.86Ronnie BAKER
    USA.gif
    USA
  • 4. 9.89Ryan SHIELDS
    JAM.gif
    JAM
  • 5. 9.90Harry AIKINES-ARYEETEY
    GBR.gif
    GBR
  • 5. 9.90Cameron BURRELL
    USA.gif
    USA
  • 5. 9.90Jeffery DEMPS
    USA.gif
    USA

No doubt that final was packed to the gills with dopers or former dopers, but some people seem to think this means Gatlin doesn't deserve to be booed.

He absolutely does, the crowd knows he's been banned TWICE for being caught, that he's never owned up to it, and that despite being in his mid 30s he came back from the ban running faster than he was before it. So we basically know he's still cheating, or at best is getting residual benefit from previous cheating.

His best pre-ban time was 9.85, he's run faster than that 14 times after coming back from not competing for 4 years and being an old man in sprinting terms.

Yes Blake probably deserved to be booed as well, but the reality is a good chunk of the crowd are probably unaware of his suspension.

It would be interesting to see how this time stacks up against past winners.

Brings to mind the cycling race where a guy who won in 2011 would have come 40th in the Armstrong era.

Although If I recall correctly sprinting already had that moment mid balco scandal when Kim Collins became world champ running 10.3 or something.

Cadel Evans was second twice (by mere seconds) during the 2000s just after Pharmstrong retired, and before the UCI adopted testing that had teeth.

The damning thing during Pharmstrong's reign was that only one podium finisher in the TdF was not eventually sanctioned (Andreas Kloden) --- and he was on a doped team (telecom/T-mobile).

No doubt that final was packed to the gills with dopers or former dopers, but some people seem to think this means Gatlin doesn't deserve to be booed.

He absolutely does, the crowd knows he's been banned TWICE for being caught, that he's never owned up to it, and that despite being in his mid 30s he came back from the ban running faster than he was before it. So we basically know he's still cheating, or at best is getting residual benefit from previous cheating.

His best pre-ban time was 9.85, he's run faster than that 14 times after coming back from not competing for 4 years and being an old man in sprinting terms.

Yes Blake probably deserved to be booed as well, but the reality is a good chunk of the crowd are probably unaware of his suspension.

Funny that a British crowd booed when the most egregious doper in athletics is still held in high regard in Britain.

Paula Radcliffe's crowning as BBC Sports Personality of the Year is a fitting finale to what has been a staggering year.

Paula Radcliffe

In the space of 12 months, Radcliffe transformed herself from also-ran to how-did-she-run-that?

Her achievements barely seem believable.

Radcliffe became new marathon world record holder, European 10,000m champion, Commonwealth 5,000m champion, winner of the London Marathon at her first attempt, world cross country champion - the list goes on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/special_events/sports_personality_2002/2546793.stm

LMAO. Reading that 2002 article now, is hilarious.

Turns out she trained in New Mexico under a Russian doctor/marathoner who has been banned for doping athletes. She also had the biggest off-score of any British athlete in retrospective blood testing showing manipulation of blood (blood vector doping).

Funny that a British crowd booed when the most egregious doper in athletics is still held in high regard in Britain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/special_events/sports_personality_2002/2546793.stm

LMAO. Reading that 2002 article now, is hilarious.

Turns out she trained in New Mexico under a Russian doctor/marathoner who has been banned for doping athletes. She also had the biggest off-score of any British athlete in retrospective blood testing showing manipulation of blood (blood vector doping).

It's not funny or hypocritical of the crowd to boo Gatlin regardless of who is "held in high regard" in Britain.

Did Radcliffe dope? Given the time she ran, who she beat, and the unusual samples, yeh she probably did. However you can't treat people as guilty until it's empirically proven.

If you treat every exceptional athlete as a cheat then you end up punishing the honest ones as well, and if there's no recognition of genuine world class performance then the sport dies.

I enjoyed watching him win.

It's not funny or hypocritical of the crowd to boo Gatlin regardless of who is "held in high regard" in Britain.

Did Radcliffe dope? Given the time she ran, who she beat, and the unusual samples, yeh she probably did. However you can't treat people as guilty until it's empirically proven.

If you treat every exceptional athlete as a cheat then you end up punishing the honest ones as well, and if there's no recognition of genuine world class performance then the sport dies.

Yes but I think she could be banned for the off score.

It's like saying OJ Simpson is innocent until proven guilty because the jury didn't understand the forensic evidence.

I don't understand the off score myself but it's a bit different to saying outstanding performance is the only indicator of doping.

Back