Congratulations Justin Gatlin

Indeed, I think it has to do with an attachment to a belief that we can be more than what we are: mere mortals. There is that desire in us to see one become almost like a demigod, so dominant that he is perfect, unassailable, and when the myth is shattered, so too is our suspense of disbelief in reality.

The irony is that we want to believe in the impossible, yet the reality is that even the possible should not be believed.

Bolt ran 9.58. Nothing else is needed to cement his demigod status.

I hope Wayde Van Neikerke is given the respect he deserves for what he is doing because 43.03 is just stupidly fast. The idea of a runner going sub-10, sub 20 and sub 44, was unimaginable to me until Van Neikerk did it. If he wins a gold in the 100m, he may out shine Bolt.

Odd that you can be a "world champion" yet no one really gives a fuck,it's a paper crown..... Olympic Champion>>>>>>>>>>>>>>World Champion.
Yes world championship are like regular season whereas olympics is the playoffs

congrats to gatlin for running the distance in only 40 minutes more than Bolt's personal best.

The irony is that we want to believe in the impossible, yet the reality is that even the possible should not be believed.

Bolt ran 9.58. Nothing else is needed to cement his demigod status.

I hope Wayde Van Neikerke is given the respect he deserves for what he is doing because 43.03 is just stupidly fast. The idea of a runner going sub-10, sub 20 and sub 44, was unimaginable to me until Van Neikerk did it. If he wins a gold in the 100m, he may out shine Bolt.
So ~9+ seconds slower than my slowest bullet.

Our sense of proportion in this more philosophical musing is clearly out of step.

Back