Conor’s Ground Game: No trolls allowed

For sherdogs standard where everyone is a Bjj black belt and ncaa div1 wrestler, it’s horrible...

In reality, of course is not bad...

If you think you need to be a bjj BB or aNCAA wrestler to see his ground game is garbage m, you're a even bigger casual than I thought

If you think you need to be a bjj BB or aNCAA wrestler to see his ground game is garbage m, you're a even bigger casual than I thought

I’ve been grappling for 9 years Bjj brown belt, it’s quite stupid to think an elite athlete like conor will have a bad ground game after what? 10 years or grappling? Getting grapplefucked by khabib is not an indication of having a bad ground game, nor is getting choked by nate, never mind he was rocked as fucked...

Conor also seems delicate on the ground. This relates to your point though. He wilts on the ground psychologically.
Look at Tony. His BJJ overall isn't that good, but he uses elbows to set up subs and transitions.

not bad. not many people can stop Khabib on the ground and he was gassed against Diaz. not great but its good.

I think his ground game is above average but not spectacular. People crap on his ground game but the only fighters I've seen exploit this so called weakness are fighters who are masters on the ground.

He's pretty agile and good at doing what he has too - avoid the ground, keep striking.

Brandao is a second degree BB (not sure what was his rank back then), and Conor was able to roll trough his attacks nicely.

As soon as someone is able to plant Conor firmly and flatly on his back, like Mendes or Nurmagomedov it's getting ugly though. When he can't keep on moving, he's lost.

That being said, he had, of course kept on grabbing the fence against Brandao, boosting his TDD percentage, lol.

I’ve been grappling for 9 years Bjj brown belt, it’s quite stupid to think an elite athlete like conor will have a bad ground game after what? 10 years or grappling? Getting grapplefucked by khabib is not an indication of having a bad ground game, nor is getting choked by nate, never mind he was rocked as fucked...

Elite athlete, eh? Cardio of a 90 yr old man and you think he's elite. Calling bullshit on your supposed Brown belt just by your post

His technique is good. His defensive awareness is good. Great hips, athletic and flexible. He doesnt have the heart or cardio for prolonged mat wars. His ground game at the highest level isnt "good." It's.. serviceable.

Maybe for the first round but everything goes to hell as he gets fatigued.

imo his ground game was pretty good against Khabib but it didnt change the fact that Khabib beat him with his ground game.
Khabib handled his previous opponent much easier but I also assume that Khabib was 2 emotional which also effected his game.

He has decent takedown defense, and a bit of a scramble.

Off his back he has nothing to offer except holding on for dear life.

imo his ground game was pretty good against Khabib but it didnt change the fact that Khabib beat him with his ground game.
Khabib handled his previous opponent much easier but I also assume that Khabib was 2 emotional which also effected his game.

Grabbing the fence, his shorts and hooking his gloves didn't hurt either.

In his fights, he's gone to the ground 7 times that I recall. Got finished 4 times. Subbed someone once. Was getting wrecked by Mendes before he quit. And stalled against Max. He's not that good on the mat.

Last edited:
I really dislike Conor but he definitely has at least an average ground game. Probably a little above.

His TD defense against Khabib was impressive when you compare it to all of Khabib’s other opponents. Aside from Hulk Tibau.

Conor’s problem is and always will be his cardio. He has had plenty of time to work on it and it’s still not very good. His only hope of beating Khabib would be to hop on his bicycle like he did against Nate. But I still don’t think it works.

I really dislike Conor but he definitely has at least an average ground game. Probably a little above.

His TD defense against Khabib was impressive when you compare it to all of Khabib’s other opponents. Aside from Hulk Tibau.

Conor’s problem is and always will be his cardio. He has had plenty of time to work on it and it’s still not very good. His only hope of beating Khabib would be to hop on his bicycle like he did against Nate. But I still don’t think it works.
Iaquinta got up over 5 times over 5 rounds preparing for a 3 rounder against Felder. Conor has never gotten up from one TD in the UFC. Ever.

TS: Real answer...

It's hard to know because he fought Mendes on short notice (and was much bigger) and then he's gone up against two VERY difficult ground fighters. So until we see him actually pushed in wrestling by people that aren't ground-gods... we don't really have a fair assessment.

Conor was literally a hair away from countering and taking down Khabib. Then completely negated anything he did in round 1. Outside of getting rocked on the feet and gassing, Khabib really didn't do anything on the ground for that matter.

Yet delusional haters still think he's a white belt on the mat.

Back