Conor’s Ground Game: No trolls allowed

Huge Conor fan but the only bottom game he has is when he meets dudes on Grindr.

Lol ok dude. The rules are clear and fair. If the majority of the round is striking, the striking is judged more heavily. If the majority of the round is grappling, the grappling is judged more heavily.

No one but you and NOlogic thought round 1 was razor close. It wasn't.

Khabib didn't do anything with his grappling!!!!! That's my point.

If you think laying in guard is a great measure of scoring, that's on you. Most intelligent people don't.

Most intelligent people realize the rules are heavily skewed to wrestling, unfairly so. You can be getting beat soundly, and then get a takedown and lay in guard for a minute and somehow still win a round. Hell, you don't even have to have a good shot, you can just drive to the cage and work.

It's pitiful, and everyone outside of those types of guys knows it.

The guy is super explosive and above average in all phases of mma but you saw what that got him against the best top control in the LW division if not all mma.

Last edited:
Another element not too many people seem to bring up is how his cardio problems bleed into everything else he does in MMA, and that effect is times 10 in grappling.

When you are gassed, everything works on you (figuratively speaking).

I think that impacts Conor even more than the average MMA fighter.

Khabib didn't do anything with his grappling!!!!! That's my point.

If you think laying in guard is a great measure of scoring, that's on you. Most intelligent people don't.

Most intelligent people realize the rules are heavily skewed to wrestling, unfairly so. You can be getting beat soundly, and then get a takedown and lay in guard for a minute and somehow still win a round. Hell, you don't even have to have a good shot, you can just drive to the cage and work.

It's pitiful, and everyone outside of those types of guys knows it.

You don't understand wrestling. Are you European?

Khabib trolls walking into this thread like

jprVvW.gif

RDA did better on the ground relatively and that's it.

Khabib never did anything to Iaquinta. He was clearly carrying him. Barboza fight was only 3 rounds and looked like he was ready to quit after the third.

How can you say he didn't do the best?

No one has ocmpletely shut down Khabib's grappling like Conor did in the first round outside of Tibau. He's the only fighter to win a round against Khabib. The only other guy you could make a case for doing better is Tibau.

RDA did relatively better? LOL
He avoided the GnP and was not submitted. He was controlled for some periods of time but that's it. He did much much better lol

Listen I was trying to behave cool and to be polite but let's get this straight to the point. And the point is that all that matters are the end RESULTS not the details or any theory. All this details you provided about avoiding damage on the first and winning the third really nobody gives a shit when you got fucking submitted. So again he got submitted, he completely lost the grappling match so is useless to start a discussion of of he did better or not better than anyone else in grappling. He is in the worst category that got submitted and that's it, mission failed.

The debate here is about the level of his ground game well he was a champ he's a professional MMA fighter so yeah he better have a good ground game and yes I believe he has a good level. Does he has an elite level of grappling well the obvious answers is no he doesnt, his base is not wrestling nor grappling he started jiujitsu at 19 years old without any wrestling background and he doesn't have any credentials in grappling whatsoever not even in jiujitsu. Can he survive a couple of rounds against elite grapplers? Sure he can but there's a limit. He needs to put them away before is to late.

Last edited:
Alright I know 9/10 of the Conor threads are trolls trying to get a reaction.

I was talking to friend today (non mma fan) about Conor’s ground game.

He asked me “does Conor have a bad ground game?”

I had to take a breath before I answered.

I see so many trolls on here intentionally talking shit about McGregor or saying he’s the GOAT but I want honest feedback (with examples)

Would you say Conor’s ground game is above average for a current ufc fighter?

How about his take down defense?

I’m actually curious cause I know, despite thevtrolls, a few guys om here actually know about mma.
He's a legitimate brown belt in BJJ. In my book that puts him at average in the UFC for BJJ. In the UFC, you have black belts but there are levels to the black belts.
- I got my black belt in 3 years mcdojo black belts. The black belts that used their athletic ability and not BJJ to get by
- legitimate black belts. Guys who have over 10 years of pure BJJ experience.
- high level BJJ guys. The guys that make other black belts look normal.
- world champ black belts. The guys that make other good BJJ guys look helpless.

Now a legitimate brown belt might actually be black belt level but for one of many reasons just hasn't been awarded his black belt yet.
The one thing I took away from the Khabib fight is Conor isn't a slouch off his back and made Khabib (who is at world class level) work to either keep position or reachieve an already gained but lost dominant position. I also really liked his rubber guard. He made Khabib work and that's impressive.

Now BJJ and subs isn't all there is to a person's ground game. TD and TDD are other important aspects.

Considering that Conor has only been taken down by Chad and Khabib (he gets a pass on Nate because Nate took him down in the second fight when Conor was running on fumes at the end of the 5th round and in the first fight Conor initiated the TD and got swept to his back) that seems to be good evidence of solid TDD. The issue here is besides Khabib and Chad he's been matched up with mainly strikers who aren't going to attempt to take a person does unless something goes wrong with their game plans.

Besides a green Holloway I can't remember anyone else getting TD by Conor. But that's not his game plan.

Anyway
BJJ - B-
Wrestling - C-
Overall - C

Which is passing and average. Remember this is the UFC or the pinnacle of MMA.

Now considering his striking (MMA) is an A and Conor's overall skillset now jumps to B. But that's another conversation.

RDA did relatively better? LOL
He avoided the GnP and was not submitted. He was controlled for some periods of time but that's it. He did much much better lol

Look I was trying to behave cool here and to be polite but let's get this straight to the point. And the point is that all that matters are the end RESULTS not the details. All this details you provided about avoiding damage on the first and winning the third really nobody gives a shit when you fucking submitted. So again he got submitted, he completely lost the grappling match so is useless to start a discussion of of he did better or not better than anyone else.

The debate here is about the level of his ground game well he was a champ he's a professional MMA better he better have a good ground so yes I believe he has a good level. Does he has an elite level of grappling well the obvious answers is no he doesnt, his base is not wrestling nor grappling he started jiujitsu at 17 years old without any wrestling background and he doesn't have any credentials in grappling whatsoever not even in jiujitsu. Can he survive a couple of rounds against elite grapplers? Sure he can but there's a limit.

RDA was in a 3 round fight, so how are going to say that when Conor won the last round of 3 rounds? LOL

It's painfully obvious your grasping at straws and trying to move goal posts at every turn. Of course he's not Khabib and he doesn't need to be. RDA isn't some elite grappler either. Most guys aren't, especially guys that are well-versed in other areas.

That's the state of MMA at the moment.

RDA was in a 3 round fight, so how are going to say that when Conor won the last round of 3 rounds? LOL

It's painfully obvious your grasping at straws and trying to move goal posts at every turn. Of course he's not Khabib and he doesn't need to be. RDA isn't some elite grappler either. Most guys aren't, especially guys that are well-versed in other areas.

That's the state of MMA at the moment.

RDA is an elite grappler. And wtf rd3 has to do with the discussion of his ground game I didn't see any ground game on the ground.

Go rewatch round 1 and tell me who has done that well against khabib when he’s fresh. Conor’s grappling and TDD is very underestimated

I believe Kavanaugh when he says they focused too much on defense. Conor had so many moments at range to land shots instead he was standing there flat footed or just walking forward. From the first bell I was like wtf is he doing....not his game at all. He never capitalized in spots where he should have.

I also think had Conor not been so focused on waiting for Khabibs takedown he wouldn’t have got caught with that shot in R2 and that would have changed the dynamics of the fight going into R3 (which ended up being the first round Khabib has ever lost)

Maybe in the minority but I’m very interested in the rematch. It’s a game of inches when you fight Khabib and Conor has the ability and mindset to make the adjustments.

Dude... he got submitted and that's it. So no he didnt do better than anyone else. Stop lying to yourself.

I think it's solid, got choked out by a bjj blackbelt whilst rocked & exhausted and got controlled by one of the greatest grapplers the sport has ever seen. He's put some time in, probably at least a purple belt level.

He's a legitimate brown belt in BJJ. In my book that puts him at average in the UFC for BJJ. In the UFC, you have black belts but there are levels to the black belts.
- I got my black belt in 3 years mcdojo black belts. The black belts that used their athletic ability and not BJJ to get by
- legitimate black belts. Guys who have over 10 years of pure BJJ experience.
- high level BJJ guys. The guys that make other black belts look normal.
- world champ black belts. The guys that make other good BJJ guys look helpless.

Now a legitimate brown belt might actually be black belt level but for one of many reasons just hasn't been awarded his black belt yet.
The one thing I took away from the Khabib fight is Conor isn't a slouch off his back and made Khabib (who is at world class level) work to either keep position or reachieve an already gained but lost dominant position. I also really liked his rubber guard. He made Khabib work and that's impressive.

Now BJJ and subs isn't all there is to a person's ground game. TD and TDD are other important aspects.

Considering that Conor has only been taken down by Chad and Khabib (he gets a pass on Nate because Nate took him down in the second fight when Conor was running on fumes at the end of the 5th round and in the first fight Conor initiated the TD and got swept to his back) that seems to be good evidence of solid TDD. The issue here is besides Khabib and Chad he's been matched up with mainly strikers who aren't going to attempt to take a person does unless something goes wrong with their game plans.

Besides a green Holloway I can't remember anyone else getting TD by Conor. But that's not his game plan.

Anyway
BJJ - B-
Wrestling - C-
Overall - C

Which is passing and average. Remember this is the UFC or the pinnacle of MMA.

Now considering his striking (MMA) is an A and Conor's overall skillset now jumps to B. But that's another conversation.

This is one of the most informative and helpful posts I’ve seen on this site in awhile.

Excellent.

Appreciate the breakdown.

Iaquinta got up over 5 times over 5 rounds preparing for a 3 rounder against Felder. Conor has never gotten up from one TD in the UFC. Ever.
Conor did a good job in that first round. The only thing Khabib could really do was hold him down because if he really tried to GNP him Conor would have gotten right up. It was Conor shit cardio that really screwed him.

Khabib took it easy on Al because he did Khabib a huge favor by taking the fight.

I mean Its not shit but it's obviously his weakness.

His shit gas tank doesn't help that.

Getting taken down by kebab doesnt mean you have a shit ground game.

Elite athlete, eh? Cardio of a 90 yr old man and you think he's elite. Calling bullshit on your supposed Brown belt just by your post

Of course he’s elite, no one gets to where he got by being a regular joe...

I’ve been posting on the grappling forum from 2009, guys at f12 actually post out pictures and most of us post our promotions, mine is there...

Think he’s got great TDD

He’s got a very weak ground game imo, we’ve rarely seen him taken down and it almost always results in him losing.

The kneebar, duffee, Diaz and Khabib didn’t really have any issue with his ground game and got submissions

Alright I know 9/10 of the Conor threads are trolls trying to get a reaction.

I was talking to friend today (non mma fan) about Conor’s ground game.

He asked me “does Conor have a bad ground game?”

I had to take a breath before I answered.

I see so many trolls on here intentionally talking shit about McGregor or saying he’s the GOAT but I want honest feedback (with examples)

Would you say Conor’s ground game is above average for a current ufc fighter?

How about his take down defense?

I’m actually curious cause I know, despite thevtrolls, a few guys om here actually know about mma.

Takedown defense: 7.5-8 / 10

Ground defense: 7-7.5 / 10

Back