Conor’s Ground Game: No trolls allowed

On a scale of 1-10 with 5 being average, 6 being above average, and 7 being good I would say he’s about a 6.5-7 at best. He’s displayed pretty good grappling ability in the ufc so far so I don’t know why people think he’s terrible. He’s not great, wouldn’t even go as far as to say he’s good, but it’s definitely not bad and he’s competent at the very least.

And getting subbed my Nate doesn’t mean your grappling automatically sucks.

LOL quit and lost by submission again

He doesnt have any bjj or good scrambles to pop right back up if he gets taken down. His tdd has improved a lot and now its average for an elite lvl which is a lot. His cardio is terrible , tho.

he's a high level modern MMA athlete and as such he is well rounded - solid striking background, brown belt in BJJ. and you can be sure he's done plenty of wrestling and grappling. obviously he prefers a stand up fight but in a few fights we've seen him stuff takedowns, grapple against the fence very competently, reverse neck chokes, limit damage from the bottom while doing some damage himself. the mendes fight in particular we saw what he can do. and that was over 3 years ago, he has improved a lot since then.

is he anywhere near khabib's ground game level? obviously not but the idea that he will be like a new born lamb when taken down is extremely naive and ignorant.
Hmm

Defensively focused, sprawl and brawl 2.0
He's much better offensively but just can't use it against a guy like Khabib. He rag dolled Brandao, who is a legit third degree black belt. Another thing in grappling is she matters, that is why wrestlers cut absurd weight and strikers do not. Nate and Khabib are both near 200 pound guys that fight at LW and rehydrate big. Conor is really an old school sized lightweight/modern FW, BJ Penn weight at 168 pounds, and that will show against bigger wrestlers.

I have the same feelings before the fight as I do now. His ground game is ok.. looked about as good as Barbozas or MJs tbh

conor's ground game is awesome

he controlled max holloway for three rounds with a bum knee
he outgrappled pre USADA chad mendes
he swept nate diaz
Out grappled Chad bahaha. Lucky for Conor that Chad gassed.

Here is the thing. It's not that he lacks skill. Hell, you can learn how to grapple by watching videos (Evan Tanner). The problem is, he is not confident on the ground and starts to panic. You have guys like Lawler, and when he is taken down, he keeps his cool and tries to get up. Conor quits when things don't go his way. He probably views himself as a striker, not a complete martial artist.

His ground game is awful, and that's the reason he fought the beauty of ONE wrestler at 145, and he faced him only because Aldo got hurt otherwise he wouldn't have faced him as well. In a division where half of the guys are former wrestlers.

Alvarez? Gimme a break. He's a wall n staller with awful tds. Who leaves his chin out in the air.

Khabib well, destroyed him. But anyone with a brain could expect it.

It's not very good... His only defense on the ground against Khabib was holding his gloves, shorts, the fence, etc. If he didn't do any of that, he'd get smashed and nobody would say they're "impressed" with his ground game. Khabib was about to finish him with a Kimura in the second round with ease before Conor illegally kneed him.

He's much better offensively but just can't use it against a guy like Khabib. He rag dolled Brandao, who is a legit third degree black belt. Another thing in grappling is she matters, that is why wrestlers cut absurd weight and strikers do not. Nate and Khabib are both near 200 pound guys that fight at LW and rehydrate big. Conor is really an old school sized lightweight/modern FW, BJ Penn weight at 168 pounds, and that will show against bigger wrestlers.
What does BJJ have to do with wrestling? Conor hasnt taken anyone down besides Max who was also injured and was not expecting that gameplan. Probably confused the hell out of him. Can Conor take down someone who once wore a singlet? I dont know, it's never happened. Any time he spends on the ground is time he is losing or time he is wasting. Conor is better than MJ and Edson on the ground though technically, he didnt get beat up like they did. At all. Edson's face was like a soft bloated grapefruit after they fought. Conor wasn't even hurt. Conversely Conor cant touch Khabib on the feet though, so who cares. Khabib eats Conor alive 10 times out of 10.

He ground game is good. He's not elite on the ground but he's not a scrub.

Stop it. He cracked brandao who was on queer street. His tdd improved a bit but his ground game is still wretched and his cardio even worse

All I saw was:

il_570xN.1190408755_3xo5.jpg

This is Sherdog, my friend.

You may wear a "Kick me" paper taped to your back and get away with it, rather than what you attempted here.

For sherdogs standard where everyone is a Bjj black belt and ncaa div1 wrestler, it’s horrible...

In reality, of course is not bad...

Here is the thing. It's not that he lacks skill. Hell, you can learn how to grapple by watching videos (Evan Tanner). The problem is, he is not confident on the ground and starts to panic. You have guys like Lawler, and when he is taken down, he keeps his cool and tries to get up. Conor quits when things don't go his way. He probably views himself as a striker, not a complete martial artist.

Conor also seems delicate on the ground. This relates to your point though. He wilts on the ground psychologically.

He ground game is good. He's not elite on the ground but he's not a scrub.
His technique is good. His defensive awareness is good. Great hips, athletic and flexible. He doesnt have the heart or cardio for prolonged mat wars. His ground game at the highest level isnt "good." It's.. serviceable.

Back