Conor Made Floyd Relevant Again

Lower numbers=irrelevant?<Huh2> It put more eyes on Conor more than anything. Most boxing purist don't give a flying fuck about mma. So, fighting Floyd opened him up to a shitload of boxing fans.

Compared to mma fans like myself, who watch boxing also, and is well aware who Floyd is.

Plenty of MMA fans don't care for boxing either, and plenty of boxing fans will watch MMA only for certain people - McGregor being one of them - and ignore the rest. Loads of these same boxing fan don't care much for Floyd either.

Not sure that Floyd cares about being relevant anymore.
The dude was retired and saw an easy payday for a freakshow fight and a nice way to make it 50-0. He did not fight a top contender in the boxing world to do this but a guy who he could coast with and get an easy finish at the end. Floyd is already established in the boxing world and needs no help there.

Boxing has been going down hill for years, mainly due to the fact the formatt needed to be updated more than 10 years ago and the ufc is the new toy for combat sports fans who grew up in the mma era. The declining numbers for boxing have less to do with the fighters and more to do with the promoting. All that said, Conor did nothing for Floyds reputation, Conor helped Floyd create a novelty fight that had no significance to any sport. It was a cash grab where the result was obvious to any intelligent fight fan.

Conor made more money doing a freakshow event than he could legitimately have made in his own sport. He received the red panty night thanks to Floyd.

Plenty of MMA fans don't care for boxing either, and plenty of boxing fans will watch MMA only for certain people - McGregor being one of them - and ignore the rest. Loads of these same boxing fan don't care much for Floyd either.

Is this your opinion or do you have some numbers of those who purchased ppv's that are boxing fans and exclusively watch mma for Conor?

Came here to tell you to shut up. Shut up.

"Conor made Floyd relevant again", while not completely untrue, it's a bit unfair and incomplete.

Conor is an active fighter so he is relevant, of course.

Floyd was retired, so his relevance compared to when he was fighting, is of course lessened. Coming out of retirement to fight the biggest UFC star of course makes him more relevant. So, there is truth to your statement.

However, Floyd could have come back to fight a number of fighters and become (more) relevant again. That's what happens when you're retired (not really relevant) and active. If Floyd came back to fight Pacquiao, Canelo or GGG, he would be relevant again and sell well over 3, 2 or 1 million PPVs depending on the opponent.

Against Conor, they both contributed to the 4.3 million PPVs that Conor would never have gotten on his own.

Retired Floyd is more relevant than any other MMA fighter, Conor included.

And i am not making a case for PPV buys, but rather just TMZ style relevance.

Every time Floyd goes out and buys a jet, spaceship car or a watch that cost's the same as a small country's annual GDP it ends up on the front page of that site or elsewhere.

Retired Floyd is more relevant than any other MMA fighter, Conor included.

And i am not making a case for PPV buys, but rather just TMZ style relevance.

Every time Floyd goes out and buys a jet, spaceship car or a watch that cost's the same as a small country's annual GDP it ends up on the front page of that site or elsewhere.

lol Like Conor's aren't?

And McGregor's TMZ numbers are pretty much always higher.

"Conor made Floyd relevant again", while not completely untrue, it's a bit unfair and incomplete.

Conor is an active fighter so he is relevant, of course.

Floyd was retired, so his relevance compared to when he was fighting, is of course lessened. Coming out of retirement to fight the biggest UFC star of course makes him more relevant. So, there is truth to your statement.

However, Floyd could have come back to fight a number of fighters and become (more) relevant again. That's what happens when you're retired (not really relevant) and active. If Floyd came back to fight Pacquiao, Canelo or GGG, he would be relevant again and sell well over 3, 2 or 1 million PPVs depending on the opponent.

Against Conor, they both contributed to the 4.3 million PPVs that Conor would never have gotten on his own.

Did you miss what I said about his numbers already slipping before the McGregor fight?

Mayweather gave Conor his first real payday and brain damage for his trouble.

lol Twitter and Instagram is one of the last reliable measurements of someone's popularity, in fact.

PPV means customers pay to see you, and the main measurement of determining whether someone is a draw is if they're willing to pay money to see you. The biggest stars have always been the biggest draws. You can't just ignore PPV numbers.

You can twist and inflate them. Dana and Conor just when on a rant on this very subject

300k buys

Name a professional fighter that Conor could fight (from any combat sport), and get less than 300k PPV buys. That's what Floyd-Berto did. In his "retirement fight". TS is right. Regardless of what you think of Conor as a fighter, in terms of fame and relevance, Floyd needed Conor.

Just like he needed De La Hoya, and Hatton, and Canelo, and Pacquiao. He is the perfect villain for the massive fanbase. But he does not bring the fanbase.

So 5 fights with different opponents that sold well have nothing to do with the common denominator? Ok

lol Like Conor's aren't?

And McGregor's TMZ numbers are pretty much always higher.

Hahaa yeah, no.

Conor's huge, no question. But he was at his zenith last year, and unfortunately, unlike Floyd, he's a product of the UFC and because of that, his celebrity is more finite.

The less he fights or puts himself in the news for whatever reason, the more his shine will fade whereas Floyd is famous for a lifetime of being Floyd.

Hahaa yeah, no.

Conor's huge, no question. But he was at his zenith last year, and unfortunately, unlike Floyd, he's a product of the UFC and because of that, his celebrity is more finite.

The less he fights or puts himself in the news for whatever reason, the more his shine will fade whereas Floyd is famous for a lifetime of being Floyd.

You wanna post some evidence of that, baby boy?

And lol @ calling him a product of the UFC. As if people aren't attached to everything he does in general that goes beyond just fighting. He's bigger than the UFC, kid. And he's bigger than Floyd now, too.

You wanna post some evidence of that, baby boy?

And lol @ calling him a product of the UFC. As if people aren't attached to everything he does in general that goes beyond just fighting. He's bigger than the UFC, kid. And he's bigger than Floyd now, too.

Evidence of what, Floyd's fame?

LOL.

I tell you what, let's wait and see.

What with Conor's self-imposed retirement, let's see how long he can stay relevant for.
He bought himself some more time last year in addition to financing said retirement getting embarrassed in that abortion of a boxing match.

But you said yourself, people are attached to everything he does outside of the UFC so it shouldn't be a problem. That said, i can only imagine you mean Instagram because i'm hard pressed to think of anything else he's known for.

Also, anyone gobbling Conor's nuts shouldn't be calling anyone kid LOL, though i do appreciate it.

Did you miss what I said about his numbers already slipping before the McGregor fight?
Did you miss the part where I said that if he fought pacquiao he would sell 3 mil PPV, 2 mil PPV if Canelo and 1 mil if GGG?

Of course his numbers fell against Maidana and Berto.

And how many PPVs max does McGregor get without Mayweather? 1.6 mil?

They enhance each other but Mayweather, if active, sells more against other opponents.

Did you miss the part where I said that if he fought pacquiao he would sell 3 mil PPV, 2 mil PPV if Canelo and 1 mil if GGG?

Of course his numbers fell against Maidana and Berto.

And how many PPVs max does McGregor get without Mayweather? 1.6 mil?

They enhance each other but Mayweather, if active, sells more against other opponents.

He'd sell far more than 1 million if he fought Golovkin. He'd push 3 million. A Canelo rematch would probably break 3 million, as well. People would line up to see fights where Floyd was likely to lose (and he loses to both of them nowadays, likely by stoppage).

He'd sell far more than 1 million if he fought Golovkin. He'd push 3 million. A Canelo rematch would probably break 3 million, as well. People would line up to see fights where Floyd was likely to lose (and he loses to both of them nowadays, likely by stoppage).
You are correct, I was being super conservative.

Back