Conor McGregor about Bruce Lee "i have no doubt world champion in MMA" would he fight in MMA today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he was a good mixed martial artist, I actually own the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I'm just not sure how he would do against a dedicated wrestle boxer or JJ player.
Well in fairness its not a type of question that should even be asked.

He was miles ahead of everyone in his day in knowing that cross training was the key to true fight success. But he did not have the coaches or decades of proven cross training strategies that today's fighters have. He was figuring it out as he went.

Like Frank Shamrock, in his day was able to dominate his class by being the best rounded OF HIS DAY, I think Bruce would have had the chance to achieve the same.

But to ask how they would do with their training from back them, TODAY is just not a fair question to speculate on. But if those same two guys had the same access to the training of today plus their work ethic and desire to push the edge and always learn more. Well that might be a better question.

He wouldn't beat anyone in lower-level organization. Just hype that grew into mythology.

latest

You're race baiting and your view is very narrow, he was great because of his mentality and his approach to martial arts, not because he was truly the best fighter ever or competed in karate tournaments. Hell I won tkd tourneys when I was young, what does that prove?

You won TDK tourneys when you were a kid and want to know what that proves? It proves that you have more
Chuck was a karate guy. There are tons of karate videos from those times and before. Tons. Tournaments all over. Probably only boxing and muay thai have more. How many kung fu fights/bouts can you find videos of?

Your view and analysis of history is comical at best.
Bruce Lee was in the US, on camera all the time. There's no excuse for that.

But you're right, we don't seem to have video of anyone using kung fu in real fights, ever. We have video of karate guys, wrestlers, everyone but kung fu. We also see tons of successful karate guys in MMA... but not one successful kung fu guy, ever. Hmmmmm....... it's almost like they actually are all frauds.

.. he's a martial art theorist. Who brought already established ideas about cross training martial arts to the west.

Bruce had no competitive fights against pro fighters.

He had no recorded fights. (Apart from a high school boxing tournament)

A lot if his impressive stories are known through word of mouth from, friends, family and students

Great physical specimen but that doesn't mean he'd be great in a ring/cage.

There are people who look great on the bags and pads but are poor in sparring.

There are people who look great gym sparring, but are poor in actual competition.

We never saw if Bruce could:

Take a punch
Put combinations together in a fight
Overcome adversity
Or if he good fight IQ.

These are questions other fighters get asked, but people conveniently overlook this for Bruce. I'm a big fan of his books and movies, but it's nuts to talk as if he was a accomplished fighter.

With all that said...and as huge a fan i am of bruce lee. I do somewhat agree. It's impossible to know how he would do...I don't think he'd even want to compete in a cage. Wasn't his thing...His thing was for real life...Not competition with rules.

Lol im pretty sure Conor was describing himself

He wouldn't beat anyone in lower-level organization. Just hype that grew into mythology.

He's the father of MMA, those bums wouldn't stand a chance.

Lol im pretty sure Conor was describing himself
You don't think that perhaps he takes after Bruce Lee?

"Be like water my friend!"

Maybe he would do well against the bottom feeders, but I think he would get starched against any top 145 lb. The silly Wing Chun stuff just doesn't work.
Of course if you're gonna be ignorant about it and only compare martial arts awareness and training of his time, against modern day. Clearly if he was here competing today, he would have altered his training to compensate. Fact remains, he was extremely naturally gifted physically, and had a beautiful mind for it. End of the day its just talk yeah, as it will never happen. But there was certainly great potential he could have made waves in the sport he was basically a part of pioneering in an indirect manner.

Of course if you're gonna be ignorant about it and only compare martial arts awareness and training of his time, against modern day. Clearly if he was here competing today, he would have altered his training to compensate. Fact remains, he was extremely naturally gifted physically, and had a beautiful mind for it. End of the day its just talk yeah, as it will never happen. But there was certainly great potential he could have made waves in the sport he was basically a part of pioneering in an indirect manner.

Yeah I exaggerated. With modern training and resources he probably would've been a good fighter, also marketable.

Bruce was an actor or trained in impractical martial arts before people actually knew how to fight and has no actual fights or records to his name other than hear-say against street bums in China.

Anyone who thinks he would fair well in the UFC is naive and ignorant.

Might as well throw Keanu Reeves in the octagon.

Last edited:
Bruce was an actor or trained in unpractical martial arts before people actually knew how to fight and has no actual fights or records to his name other than hear-say against street bums in China.

"Naive and ignorant" that's rich, you obviously know very little about the man.

Bruce was an actor or trained in unpractical martial arts before people actually knew how to fight and has no actual fights or records to his name other than hear-say against street bums in China.

I'd watch him fight. Have him fight the same guy from the Matrix in the Octagon. It would sell a fuckload of tickets.

anyone else notice how all TV martial artist legends pretty much are nonexistant since MMA?

lol true. And unfortunately, every mma fighter is a terrible actor, so they can't even fill the void :(

0760da32efe27e0b31c8d69dd65fbdd7.jpg

Phenomenal shape, perfect technique, ahead of his time.

upload_2016-12-4_23-40-39.jpeg

MMA has shown us that people that fought in the 90s really didn't know how to fight. And that they wouldn't even make it to the lower level MMA shows today. It's ridiculous to think that someone from the 70s could do anything against anyone in the UFC today.

Didn't people learn anything from Royce vs Hughes?

anyone else notice how all TV martial artist legends pretty much are nonexistant since MMA?

Why watch fake flashy spin kicks and choreographed fights on TV when you can watch them being thrown unscripted in real life?
I blame WorldStarHipHop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back