Does McGregor Try to Copy Some of Ali's Tactics

Conor has two VERY clear influences from Boxing. Ali and Floyd. Its more his persona and trash talk, but his obsession with the pull counter is probably because of Ali/Floyd

LIKE HELL IRISH JABRONI IS COPYING ALI!!!!

First of all we know Mcg's boxing is shit thanks to the floyd fight; what he uses is distance management thanks to his reach and kicks to make his opponents overcommit so he can counter with his left while using a push-pull movement unlike Ali who uses a lot of footwork and jabs to make their opponents overcommit and counter.

Besides Mcg uses a karate stance, it's sacrilegious to compare one of the best HW of all time who fought wars that might kill someone with that jabroni who likes to sit on his title while ducking contenders.

Amen baba , ya Allah ya Ali , that no good :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Irish piece of shit no good motherfucker wouldn't be fit to shine Ali's shoes.

Comparing Conor to Ali isn like comparing jobber the Brooklyn Brawler to Sheiky baby.

I am not claiming that McGregor has comparable skill or accomplishments to Ali at all. I am just wondering whether people think McGregor is attempting to emulate the techniques and tactics of Ali. Below you will see one clip showing the highlights of the McGregor vs Alvarez fight and a second clip breaking down some of Ali's techniques. I see some similarities in McGregor's approach in that he fights with his hands low, leans backs and off at angles to pull his opponent in and then counters.

Do you think that McGregor is attempting to emulate Ali? Do you see comparable tactics or do you have an alternative explanation?

Thanks

Should be "more" realistic and [try to] compare him to RJJ...

i hate this thread

Why? I was simply curious from a technical standpoint whether McGregor was trying to emulate Ali with his techniques. If I saw another mma fighter doing the same thing I would also look to draw the comparison.

First of all we know Mcg's boxing is shit thanks to the floyd fight; what he uses is distance management thanks to his reach and kicks to make his opponents overcommit so he can counter with his left while using a push-pull movement unlike Ali who uses a lot of footwork and jabs to make their opponents overcommit and counter.

Besides Mcg uses a karate stance, it's sacrilegious to compare one of the best HW of all time who fought wars that might kill someone with that jabroni who likes to sit on his title while ducking contenders.

Agreed. Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. Forget ability, even stylistically they are nothing alike, not even vaguely.

Why? I was simply curious from a technical standpoint whether McGregor was trying to emulate Ali with his techniques. If I saw another mma fighter doing the same thing I would also look to draw the comparison.

Its a pretty shit comparison TBH. Few fight like Ali, but someone like Anderson stylistically is much closer then Conor. The only thing they really have in common is Conor uses the pull counter. But he probably got that more from Floyd then Ali

He could be shitty at boxing but still trying to copy Ali's tactics. That is why I made the thread. I know McGregor is in no way comparable to Ali from a technical standpoint and I know that he doesn't have much boxing skill. I saw the Ali analysis and then happened to see the McGregor fight re-played on tv the other day. I wondered whether McGregor was intentionally trying to use Ali's tactics or whether it could be explained more from a karate perspective.

Its a pretty shit comparison TBH. Few fight like Ali, but someone like Anderson stylistically is much closer then Conor. The only thing they really have in common is Conor uses the pull counter. But he probably got that more from Floyd then Ali

Thanks. I noticed the pull counter and it reminded me of Ali. I had forgot that Mayweather also used a similar tactic.

I wasn't saying that McGregor is like Ali, I just saw some similar tactics and wondered if McGregor was actually using them or whether there was a superior explanation.

akkf9sc7ys1p2clzg.jpg

shut the hell up

You’d hardly be any kind of stand up fighter. Especially a boxer if you hadn’t studied Ali. Along with many others. That’s how you learn. Yeah pick and choose. Borrow a little from this guy. A little from that guy etc.

McGregor just blatantly rips people off though.

hqdefault.jpg
There are a million guys who look like that

Dear white belt bro: if you ask or mention anything about Conor on this site, firstly, you will get a rational response, and secondly you will get mercilessly flamed on. Sherdog is a cool and edgy place, and the fad since UFC 196 has been hating and trolling on Conor.

For example, there are seriously people around here that think Mayweather is a better wrestler than Conor, that he would mutilate him in an MMA fight, that Conor is a coward, that Conor has ducked every hard challenge in his career, that he is a mediocre fighter that got very lucky a few times, that he has a serious cardio problem since he gassed one time in his career and lost a boxing match to May, that he has absolutely no heart, that Cody Gar-Bi would chin him flat, that he did horribly vs Mayweather (tho many outlets and pundits gave Conor half the rounds) and much, much, more. I'm not even joking. People seriously think those things.

<{outtahere}>

Agreed. Ridiculous thread is ridiculous. Forget ability, even stylistically they are nothing alike, not even vaguely.
Agreed. Ali got his azz whupped by fake rassler in his only outing that resembled a real fight, yet Conor is the only champ-champ in UFC history, and did so in the two most challenging divisions. <45>

I can see how if you're like 60+ years old you'd disagree

I can see how anyone that has a total lack of boxing knowledge could ever utter such nonsense...in Ali's prime, he was easily the greatest boxer who ever lived on this planet...I'm not talking about the slow plodding guy that fought norton...Im talking the ali in his 20's...his physical prime..before he was stripped of the title...he was the fastest puncher and the fastest foot work of any heavyweight in history...and by a country mile...even faster than most middleweights...a guy that never got tired...could take a punch from the hardest puncher in history (foreman) and not even get dazed. so there's trolling and then there's just plain stupidity....

Back