Conor McGregor`s training looks like he is preparing for Khabib Nurmagomedov

I'm not saying Conor should go out there and train how to throw Khabib around, why you are using that strawman?

By your same exact logic, it would be pointless for Khabib to train any striking, specifically striking defense to try and shrink that gap. It's idiotic. That's exactly what Khabib is going to be working on, how to stop Conor so he can employ HIS GAME. Same thing for Conor, how to stop Khabib, so he can employ HIS GAME.

How you seriously can sit there and say "don't train TDD when you're facing Khabib fucking Nurmagomedov" and still consider yourself rational is beyond me, but I'm sure you'll go right ahead and let everyone know are. lmao
Except that's not what I'm claiming. I'm claiming that he should sharpen different defensive tools. Not just fighting the clinch and stuffing TDs. I'm not saying don't train for the ground. I'm saying focus on getting out of the worse case scenario. Use that speed and drill scrambles non stop.

Everyone goes in thinking "I'll stop Khabib's TDs and finish him with strikes" and it never works. They go down and look like fish out of water. I suggest that instead work on evasive footwork and getting out of the worst case scenario. What is wrong with that logic? Train to get out of your foe's best position. Don't burn all your gas trying to stop yourself from getting there. Be ready to get out as soon as you hit the mat.

Last edited:
Marcelo garcia is prob top 1-2 greatest bjj practitioners that has ever lived. Been a huge fan of his forever. I will say that I don't think It's actually possible to train with a black belt of his and not know what you're doing on the ground.

he's got jits
You read my breakdown on the last page?

And yeah, Marcello Garcia is the GOAT of grappling skill.

All though striking/boxing is my "expertise" - or more appropriately, my main focus of studying and knowledge,

I still do enjoy grappling, even if some grappling bores me (or even if I dont know as much about grappling as I do extensively about striking and boxing)

But I still know enough to appreciate the great grapplers. And I loved watching Garcia

It was the most exciting thing in the world watching him just flip and reverse everyone with such complete ease.

Almost as exciting as watching Conor setting someone up for the counter and counter fucking someone's soul

It wasn't a mistake that Conor went after Dillon Dania.

Dillon was one of Garcia's most regarded students

Conor loves Marcello Garcia too

Getting Danis was the next best thing to not being able to get Garcia himself

And Danis himself said Conor has a beast grappling game

Conor 100% has very under rated grappling.

It's funny those same people who thrash Conor's ground game because of fight #1 will ignore how Conor swept Nate in that fight in the first round

KHABIB WILL NOT have an easy time with Conor on the ground

Where as on the feet Khabib will truly be out of his element up against Conor's world class striking and boxing skill

Lol no. You sound like you know very little.

Traditional low kicks are far easier to not only catch but to counter too

Front kicks to the gut are much much harder to catch.

Reaching to catch one can also leave you insanely open to a step in from the low kick into a strike up top

That's what Robert Whittaker actually loves to do.

Use the front kick to cover distance into a step in strike up top

Its all off the low kick misdirection.

It's a clever disguise to close distance while keeping the opponent pre-occupied and opening up, up top.

Opponents will typically react to Whittaker's front kick, then boom Whittaker steps in off the his front kick with strikes up top.

It was Whittaker's major weapon in dismantling Romero (another wrestler) Don't be surprised if you see Conor just as lethal with front kicks against Khabib.

The front snap kick is highly effective against wrestlers. Relatively low risk, no threat of getting countered, little risk of getting taken down off it, and can maintain safe distances while hacking away controlling range etc.

Conor used front kicks to dismantle Mendes and gas Mendes out

If opponents think its only Conor's boxing to worry about (and thats still a hell of a lot to deal with - Conor has the best boxing in MMA history) they are in for a sunrise because front kicks are actually one of Conor's greatest weapons too
Except in Conor's case mid kicks are the only thing people ever catch on him. Never low kicks. Eddie, Mendes, and Nathan have all caught mid kicks from Conor.

In theory you are right but in practice the opposite has been proven true for Conor.

Also Conor used a variety of mid kicks, not just the front kicks. The spinning back kick gave him more success than the front kick.

Lots of wrestling training videos and pictures.
He is training the front kick (to keep the space). The front kick would be kinda useless against Tony. If he fights in Septemer he can prepare himself almost 8 month for one opponent.
McGregor is a smart guy. He has the opportunity to study Khabib against Tony as well and prepare him with a expensive training camp like he did against Nate Diaz.

Unless he's training with a bear he's fucked. And that push kick will work against him. No smart lifting your leg in the cage with the eagle

I see your point on the kicks but I would like to note a few things. While Edson said fuck it and threw the kicks anyway he specifically stuck to high kicks and low kicks. He rarely threw a mid kick in that fight. He knew he was too quick for Khabib to grab a low kick but limited his arsenal to play it safe. Maybe the risk is worth it but I have my doubts.

Conor's gas tank i exactly why I say stay out of the clinch. Once Khabib is that close he's gonna stick to you at all costs. Clinch work is hell and take everything out of you. Burning himself out in the clinch makes it even harder to get a finish later on. Avoiding the clinch is of course #1 but if it goes down (which it most likely will) I feel more confident in Conor's ability to scramble than in his ability to tough out a clinch.

Like I said Khabib is fighting guys his own size right now. Going up to fight guys bigger than him makes no sense. He's gotten smaller and has made adjustments to his camp. He should be a much more suitable LW build now.

And having Khabib on top of you smashing your face in is any better? The only thing worse than trying to defend Khabib is getting taken down then getting back up, then taken right back down. Forget the energy that takes, do you not understand how demoralizing that is for a fighter? To exert all that effort to getting up for nothing? That's what Khabib does, he breaks you down over how many ever long rounds. If you can't fight for position and break from Khabib, and you don't have the boxing to consistently keep him off you and wear him down or knock him out, it's all pointless. Any reputable coach will never tell you to sit there and not fight that man from taking you down as if your life depended on it. Rule #1 has always been you fight for position and you abuse the mother fucker for trying to take you down so he thinks twice about trying to do it again. If Conor is enacting any other type of gameplan he has already lost. You don't fight passively against a guy like Khabib, and luckily Conor doesn't ever fight passively. Maybe it's all moot, and Conor still gets thrown around, but you've got to at least try like Edson tried, and everyone else has. Not trying is not what professional fighters do.

More than anything people should be wanting to see an improved Conor, a guy that tests himself and this is certainly it and a great opportunity for Conor to improve and truly take his skill set to the next level. Training more boxing isn't going to do that.

I wonder if Conor could handle the pressure mode Khabib that just smothered Barboza's offense.
Conor does not like pressure or handle it very well. He was running away from nate and nate just pointed and laughed at him. I doubt khabib will laugh.

AgileHighlevelFurseal-max-1mb.gif

I hope he spends the money learning something better than this.
LOOOL and people still think NAte is a top fighter? that scene looks like Mitrione vs Kimbo. If Conor pulls that shit against Khabib, he's going to taste the canvas like no one else did

Unless he's training with a bear he's fucked. And that push kick will work against him. No smart lifting your leg in the cage with the eagle

Conor will be working with the Russians for this one, his training will be suited well.

Except that's not what I'm claiming. I'm claiming that he should sharpen different defensive tools. Not just fighting the clinch and stuffing TDs. I'm not saying don't train for the ground. I'm saying focus on getting out of the worse case scenario. Use that speed and drill scrambles non stop.

Everyone goes in thinking "I'll stop Khabib's TDs and finish him with strikes" and it never works. They go down and look like fish out of water. I suggest that instead work on evasive footwork and getting out of the worst case scenario. What is wrong with that logic? Train to get out of your foe's best position. Don't burn all your gas trying to stop yourself from getting there. Be ready to get out as soon as you hit the mat.

No one is saying he's just training TDD all day, it's clearly not what he's doing he's been seen doing a variety of grappling.

We will see. I think Barboza has a much better jits game than Conor, and showed a lot more resilience than Conor did when giving his back up after a few Diaz punches.

Not sure about Johnson’s game, but he showed a lot of heart.

Also, there are 2 more massive factors that people are ignoring (or either don't know about)

1. Khabib doesnt often shoot doubles. He prefers to work his relentless world class grappling chains through the clinch.

This means Khabib has to get even closer to Conor in order to be effective with his wrestling.

Good luck against Conor with that.

Closing distance vs Conor's footwork and countering acumen, is like trying to maneuver your way through a narrow hallway that's plastered with nuclear landmines every square inch.

Khabib getting desperate to close distance effectively will start lunging

and when you lunge against Conor, Aldo out cold stiffness is what happens .

2. Conor is a southpaw.

This means Conor will only be presenting the single leg to Khabib.

Single legs are much easier to defend.

To actually get the full body wrap on Cono, that Khabib is effective with, IS going to require that Khabib take tons of punishment to get in that close...and we dont know if Khabib has that kind of freak chin...

The threat of Conor's counters>>>the threat of takedowns

@MescalineDreams

@GreatSaintGuillotine

Last edited:
And having Khabib on top of you smashing your face in is any better? The only thing worse than trying to defend Khabib is getting taken down then getting back up, then taken right back down. Forget the energy that takes, do you not understand how demoralizing that is for a fighter? To exert all that effort to getting up for nothing? That's what Khabib does, he breaks you down over how many ever long rounds. If you can't fight for position and break from Khabib, and you don't have the boxing to consistently keep him off you and wear him down or knock him out, it's all pointless. Any reputable coach will never tell you to sit there and not fight that man from taking you down as if your life depended on it. Rule #1 has always been you fight for position and you abuse the mother fucker for trying to take you down so he thinks twice about trying to do it again. If Conor is enacting any other type of gameplan he has already lost. You don't fight passively against a guy like Khabib, and luckily Conor doesn't ever fight passively. Maybe it's all moot, and Conor still gets thrown around, but you've got to at least try like Edson tried, and everyone else has. Not trying is not what professional fighters do.

More than anything people should be wanting to see an improved Conor, a guy that tests himself and this is certainly it and a great opportunity for Conor to improve and truly take his skill set to the next level. Training more boxing isn't going to do that.
It's an option between fighting the clinch and draining yourself only to be taken down and drained even more, or scrambling as soon as you have the chance and standing back up and deal some damage.

If Khabib gets a hold of you he will either get you down and drain the hell out of you trying. It makes you desperate and hesitant. That fear of the TD is what causes everyone to lose. Excepting that going down will happen and drilling escape plans is how you avoid getting broken. Always have an escape plan and you'll always be in the fight.

Edson fought the TD, lost, and had no answer from there. Your plan can't just be "Don't get taken down". That doesn't work.

Use that footwork, force him to chase you down, and land as much as you can. If he grabs you then bite down on that mouth piece try to roll and scramble until you're free.

There is no good option but at least planning for when you go down rather than if reduces the fear of a TD.

Except in Conor's case mid kicks are the only thing people ever catch on him. Never low kicks. Eddie, Mendes, and Nathan have all caught mid kicks from Conor.

In theory you are right but in practice the opposite has been proven true for Conor.

Also Conor used a variety of mid kicks, not just the front kicks. The spinning back kick gave him more success than the front kick.
Show some examples of opponents catching and taking Conor down off of his front snap kicks. Let's see some proof. You claimed Mendes took Conor down off 3 front kicks and thats completely false

Let's not forget that Connor was mounted, beaten, and subbed by Nate Diaz , who in the modern shark tank that is LW Is, at best , a mid level divisional gatekeeper.

And this is the man who will stop Khabib?

Lets also not forget a young hungry Nate got wrestle fucked by small LW’s Joe Daddy, Gray Maynard, and Clay Guida at one time. Not to mention the ragdolling Bendo and RDA put on him. The crazy Conor fans think Nate is a top LW cause he beat MJ and finished Conor.

Khabib gets his hands on Conor and game over

Now that would be interesting. Sambo would do him some good but its his stamina that always seems to fuck him over.

I think it's because Conor doesn't really train outside of camp anymore, and just has too much ground to cover to be prepared for five rounds. Maybe it's got something to do with his knee injury he had and the rumor he's not really running. Maybe he's just got a weak heart.

Either way, these problems never seemed to exist before. Of course, he got most of his opponent out of there fast, but in the Holloway fight he still looked fresh as can be after three rounds.

We'll see, I don't think Conor will need any stamina if he can keep it standing for most of the first round. Khabib is too easily countered.

Lets also not forget a young hungry Nate got wrestle fucked by small LW’s Joe Daddy, Gray Maynard, and Clay Guida at one time. Not to mention the ragdolling Bendo and RDA put on him. The crazy Conor fans think Nate is a top LW cause he beat MJ and finished Conor.

Khabib gets his hands on Conor and game over

Conor rarely has wrestle-fucked people, that not his game, so what does that have to do with Nate posing a challenge to Conor?

Back