3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

Obviously it's not just how impressive the performance is to the naked eye, but also the quality of your opponent that is of an utmost importance in these discussions.

Not a big Conor fan, but sleeping prime Aldo that was undefeated for 10 years in 13 seconds is the most impressive victory by a longshot. It wasn't a fluke, but rather the result of years of training and talent + many months of calculated mental warfare that lead to this happening.

And then you have Forrest at #3?
Well it's a combination of how impressive the victory was from a visual/technical perspective + quality of opponent.

Forrest was the defending champion at 205 in his previous fight

His win over Rampage is still one of the best upsets ever

It wasn't a fluke because he called it. If I call 8 ball corner pocket and I get it, its no fluke.

My number one is dillashaw vs barao 1. I also think gsp vs bisping was a monumental win off a 4 year layoff. A finish in a division georges never fought in before, against a champion all while breaking the record for most ufc wins.

Garbrandt vs cruz is also amazing an undefeated prospect with 11 fights dominated cruz.

Forrest was the defending champion at 205 in his previous fight

And lost it badly. Quit in a fetal position from strikes.
Came to Anderson fight at +263 underdog.

His win over Rampage is still one of the best upsets ever

No, that wasn't "the best" upset. Not even a "good upset".
That was a weird fight and it was super close.

Aldo not getting a rematch was probably the biggiest dis the UFC has ever given a fighter with anywhere near the status he had.

This thread is a prime example of why they didn't want to give a rematch.

It was arguably a fluke because that type of thing wouldn't happen 99% of the time if they fought countless times. Even though I'd still bet on Conor finishing him every single time. Still an impressive win nonetheless.

Aldo not getting a rematch was probably the biggiest dis the UFC has ever given a fighter with anywhere near the status he had.

This thread is a prime example of why they didn't want to give a rematch.

Nah he got the fight cancelled and wasnt the undisputed champion the way he forced that interim title. He had a chance to get his rematch and said no dispite his "anywhere anytime" talk.

On top of all that, they did a huge press tour that cost lots of money, they basically marketed that fight for 9 whole months making it the biggest fight in ufc history to take place below ww, only for it to all end in 13 seconds made it almost impossible to market an immediate rematch. Aldos next fight was for a belt.

Of course when he won it, he said he refused to defend his interim belt. Aldo has never once really did the ufc a favour to step in and fix a card the only time i think was against zombie and that saved him from fighting pettis.

Honestly, I would place Alvarez over that one. The Alvarez fight was jaw-dropping in how drawn out it was.

I think Weidman vs Silva I was also pretty amazing. Chris destroyed a then-great with ease.

Brock vs Cain and JDS vs Cain II were also perfect fights, IMO.

Werdum vs Cain was another incredible one.

Nah he got the fight cancelled and wasnt the undisputed champion the way he forced that interim title. He had a chance to get his rematch and said no dispite his anywhere anytime talk.
I'm not saying it's true, but was aldo cleared yet when they offered the rematch? He was knocked out then rda drooped out for Conor's next fight and Jose got a call and declined. It was smart of Aldo to decline it imo.
I also believe Aldo is the better fighter and Conor won that fight with mental warfare

1. Conor vs Aldo
2. GSP vs Hughes III
3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

Obviously it's not just how impressive the performance is to the naked eye, but also the quality of your opponent that is of an utmost importance in these discussions.

Not a big Conor fan, but sleeping prime Aldo that was undefeated for 10 years in 13 seconds is the most impressive victory by a longshot. It wasn't a fluke, but rather the result of years of training and talent + many months of calculated mental warfare that lead to this happening.
giphy.gif

I look at McGregor/Aldo as a one night anomaly. It was exciting, but it could also be dismissed as a lucky punch, and it's overall impact is diminished because of what happened after...or more accurately, what didn't happen.

Matt Serra made a dominant, if over hyped (at the time) Georges St Pierre tap to strikes. History views this win as a fluke, because Serra rematched Georges, and had the shit beaten out of him, but at the time, it was hyped as you've described it...one of the greatest performances of all time.
But imagine if Serra ran to a different weight class and cherry-picked opponents with mediocre results? The mystique of his win would still be there, but at best, it would be dubious; except for the people who either loved Serra so much or hated GSP so deeply that it impacted their objectivity.

That's how I see McGregor/Aldo. It was one night. Great performance, but one night.

Great champions defend. The prove they are better on one night, but they cement the performance by doing it again.

Back