Conor vs Aldo is easily the best performance in MMA history

It was his best win , but in reality, Alvarez was a better "performance" . 13 seconds doesn't constitute a performance. Aldo was coming off a 1 year layoff as well. Regardless, solid win .

He wasn't #1 ranked LHW. He lost to Rashad, who got him going fetal from his strikes.
He was heavy underdog and no one expected him to win. Moreover, even the outcome of 1st round KO was expected and predicted.

Read the OP: it was also about the quality of the opponent.
If you don't take it into a factor, you can also rate Michael Page's performances against cans. Even more impressive
Ok so you discredit him for not defending but neither did a lot of champions. Quite a few people picked him to win actually.

it's true - who else has knocked out one of the undisputed natty GOATS with a single punch in 13 seconds?

Ok so you discredit him for not defending but neither did a lot of champions.

I don't discredit him for not defending.
I don't give him more credit than he deserves, especially after Rashad loss.

Quite a few people picked him to win actually.

Not even one credible source believed that. And I don't really remember any movement into this.

Sure, but i think this thread is discussing what the best performance is in a vaccum. Without external forces shaping public opinion
With an absence of external forces shaping public opinion, there is nothing to differentiate McGegor/Aldo from any of the other one-sided, quick finishes in MMA. For instance, I think Todd Duffee has 3 or 4 KOs that occurred under or around 30 seconds. I can't remember who they were, except Tim Hague, because that one occurred at a UFC event, (though I can't remember which one) and Hague had a little swagger at the time. But none of Duffee's KOs were listed on TS's list, because Duffee is essentially a footnote in MMA history. His KOs that occurred outside the big stage are even less notable, because of the exact external forces you mention.

You could easily replace half the list with gogoplatas, if you aren't looking at external factors, because gogos are harder to pull off than a KO--or at least statistically more infrequent, and requiring a higher level of skill. You hear about "lucky punches", but you don't hear about "lucky gogoplatas." And yet if you poll 100 MMA fans on the best gogo pulled off in competition, they're going to say it was Diaz/Gomi, because it happened on the big stage level, and the org is indicative of level of talent, which is an external force taken into consideration with the initial list.

If I was bored enough to come up with my own top 10, it would not include any of the TS list, other than Fedor/Nog II.

1. Conor vs Aldo
2. GSP vs Hughes III
3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

Obviously it's not just how impressive the performance is to the naked eye, but also the quality of your opponent that is of an utmost importance in these discussions.

Not a big Conor fan, but sleeping prime Aldo that was undefeated for 10 years in 13 seconds is the most impressive victory by a longshot. It wasn't a fluke, but rather the result of years of training and talent + many months of calculated mental warfare that lead to this happening.

So let me ask you this......where do you place Cain/JDS 1 where Junior KO'd him in 60 seconds??

1. Conor vs Aldo
2. GSP vs Hughes III
3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

Obviously it's not just how impressive the performance is to the naked eye, but also the quality of your opponent that is of an utmost importance in these discussions.

Not a big Conor fan, but sleeping prime Aldo that was undefeated for 10 years in 13 seconds is the most impressive victory by a longshot. It wasn't a fluke, but rather the result of years of training and talent + many months of calculated mental warfare that lead to this happening.

Not even close. 13 seconds doesn't answer any questions. Might be a lucky punch just like what Dos Santos landed on Cain.

The real answer is GSP vs Hughes II : Finished twice in 2 rounds.

That's your opinion but unfortunately your opinion is shit.

How long was he off of training to let his brain heal? He's clearly smarter than you
Aw its funny you mention it because literally a month before he was asked to fight conor in a rematch he was literally saying "anywher,e anytime" i mean i could pull it up and show you but whats the point? I've seen plenty of fighters lose and take fights less than 6 months later. But you probably just hate conor so theres no point in trying to convince you of anything.

Sorry your hero got his head caved in. Nice finish against stephens though.

Aw its funny you mention it because literally a month before he was asked to fight conor in a rematch he was literally saying "anywher,e anytime" i mean i could pull it up and show you but whats the point? I've seen plenty of fighters lose and take fights less than 6 months later. But you probably just hate conor so theres no point in trying to convince you of anything.

Sorry your hero got his head caved in. Nice finish against stephens though.
So you're insulting me but saying in a fan of the greatest fw of all time? I'll take it.

It wasn't just a loss, it was a ko loss dumb ass

The best performance in MMA history is Anderson vs Leben.

Anderson landed 100 percent. Leben landed Zero. ZEROOOOO

Nothing else comes close
Penn vs Sanchez is in the discussion

Biggest fluke in MMA history

Was almost a double KO.

I don't discredit him for not defending.
I don't give him more credit than he deserves, especially after Rashad loss.

Not even one credible source believed that. And I don't really remember any movement into this.
But he was a champion of the supposed toughest division and beat the #1 LHW back to back before that Evans loss.

Many were picking Griffin for the upset.

Silva/Griffin
TJ/Barao 1
Wand/Saku/Rampage
Crocop/Wand 2
Fedor/Big Nog 1

It wasn't a fluke because he called it. If I call 8 ball corner pocket and I get it, its no fluke.

My number one is dillashaw vs barao 1. I also think gsp vs bisping was a monumental win off a 4 year layoff. A finish in a division georges never fought in before, against a champion all while breaking the record for most ufc wins.

Garbrandt vs cruz is also amazing an undefeated prospect with 11 fights dominated cruz.

Doesn't Conor call a first round win against almost everyone though when asked? I'm not taking away from the nice shot but there was definitely an element of luck involved.

1. Conor vs Aldo
2. GSP vs Hughes III
3. Anderson vs Forrest
4. Cain vs JDS II
5. GSP vs Penn II
6. Jones vs Shogun
7. Dillashaw vs Barao I
8. GSP vs Fitch
9. Conor vs Alvarez
10. Fedor vs Nog II

#1 fluke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back