Considering switching BJJ gyms

calilocal20

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time trying to figure out what I should do. I am currently at a newer academy that I really do love. The people there are great that train there and the instructor is really good as well. The only issue is that the school is a little over a year old and since I started there when it just about opened I am now the highest ranking student aside from the instructor. There haven't been any other higher belts that have joined since its inception and I very rarely am challenged by sparring with other students. My dilemma is that I would prefer not to switch schools, but I don't have any higher level belts to train with and feel like my learning is stalling or at the very least just progressing slowly. Just wondering what people here would suggest. I appreciate anyones insight on this.

Isn't the instructor a higher belt than you? Can you try to roll with him more often?

If you're from LA and you're not being challenged enough, it's time to switch.

I would like to roll with the instructor more but the problem is that there are usually about 12 - 20 people in the class at a time and he has to watch over everyone and can't roll that much himself.

Newer school means more attention from the instructor right?

Maybe find a couple open mats at other gyms to get your rolls in.

I'm really not sure how any answer other than switch gyms is applicable here.

You live in a paradise of high level BJJ. Most people in America would love to have that level of training available. To not be challenged at all in such a place is a ridiculous waste of the resources around you.

It's sort of like if you had an ugly girlfriend who was a bitch, and you had ten supermodels texting you asking for a date. It might suck for a little bit when you break up with her, but there is no way to come to any other logical conclusion.

Newer school means more attention from the instructor right?

Maybe find a couple open mats at other gyms to get your rolls in.

This is what I was thinking.

And sooner or later there's gotta be at least one person better that will join your gym.

I'm really not sure how any answer other than switch gyms is applicable here.

You live in a paradise of high level BJJ. Most people in America would love to have that level of training available. To not be challenged at all in such a place is a ridiculous waste of the resources around you.

It's sort of like if you had an ugly girlfriend who was a bitch, and you had ten supermodels texting you asking for a date. It might suck for a little bit when you break up with her, but there is no way to come to any other logical conclusion.

HAHHA I was actually kind of having a similar thought process here.

HAHHA I was actually kind of having a similar thought process here.

Yeah I get that it sucks to leave a gym. You make friends with the people there.

But if you're just not getting the challenge you need, you will regret it if you don't leave. It is really the only reasonable option.

Shit, I wished I lived in the mecca of Jiu-Jitsu in the States. At my gym, I'm lucky if we get 6-8 guys a night. We only had 4 last night.

Anyways, I agree with Balto

Honestly if I were you and had a bunch of easy people to tap I would work on my submissions and all sorts of crazy moves before even thinking of leaving.

Your situation is sort of a blessing in a way if you want to go over all the moves in DVDs

also, you live in freaking LA. You're more than spoiled for choices.

even if you go to open mats you're more than spoiled for choices.

I gotta ask TS, what belt rank are you?

Honestly if I were you and had a bunch of easy people to tap I would work on my submissions and all sorts of crazy moves before even thinking of leaving.

Your situation is sort of a blessing in a way if you want to go over all the moves in DVDs

also, you live in freaking LA. You're more than spoiled for choices.

even if you go to open mats you're more than spoiled for choices.

I gotta ask TS, what belt rank are you?

I'm blue belt, but everyone else is white belt aside from a couple others who got their blue belt there. I guess my main issue is that even if something works or doesn't the person you are rolling with can't explain why either. I hate to complain I just get the feeling I would get a lot more out of getting subbed and passed a lot myself and being explained what happened then being in the situation I am in now where I win 90% of the time. I am just looking to the advice of other people here on the forum because after doing this for a little more than a year, I am still a newbie.

I'm blue belt, but everyone else is white belt aside from a couple others who got their blue belt there. I guess my main issue is that even if something works or doesn't the person you are rolling with can't explain why either. I hate to complain I just get the feeling I would get a lot more out of getting subbed and passed a lot myself and being explained what happened then being in the situation I am in now where I win 90% of the time. I am just looking to the advice of other people here on the forum because after doing this for a little more than a year, I am still a newbie.

ah I see

I could understand if you were a brown belt but it seems that your problem is the quality of your instructor and training partners

Igot my blue belt in october 2009 and I only get to train with white belts and guys who just got their blue belts

Come to think of it, I think your school is really weak. I would seriously consider training somehwere else.

If you just got your blue belt and are tapping people 90% of the time I'd consider you as skilled if not less than the majority of my training parners who got their blue last year.

like everyone here has said, you're spoiled for choices. If your school is that weak, NO ONE with a higher rank is gonna want to join. youre wasting your time there.

Everyone I really appreciate your insight into this. I have gone ahead and scheduled trial classes at a couple other gyms this week to see which one would be the best choice. Thanks again and if anyone else has anything I missed I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Back