Cool Crescent kick knockdown in Kyokushin tourney

No! Cannot be! Steven claimed he invented it, among his "deadly stuff"
He said it was a modification, which it was. It wasnt a classical mae geri. In that video he teaches him to snap his kick instead of pushing it like he was doing. this video explains it pretty well.

He said it was a modification, which it was. It wasnt a classical mae geri. In that video he teaches him to snap his kick instead of pushing it like he was doing. this video explains it pretty well.

You just claimed Kyokushin has it, so he didn't modify anything.

You just claimed Kyokushin has it, so he didn't modify anything.
Seagall claimed he showed the modified front kick to anderson silva. As far as the chamberless front kick he showed lyoto in one of his videos, I didnt hear him say he invented that.

Last edited:
No, The formal term in TKD is crescent kick. Twist kick is the informal term.

Whatever.

My experience is that twist kick is the formal term, and that 'crescent kick' refers to an entirely different kick (seen at 14:58 in the video I posted).

The guy in the video, a 9th Dan legend, seems to agree.

It doesn't really matter what it's called anyway.

Seagall claimed he showed the modified front kick to anderson silva. As far as the chamberless front kick he showed lyoto in one of his videos, I didnt hear him say he invented that.

I dont give a rear end of a rat about seagull, but could you post the vid about him teaching lyoto. I dont really get the "unchambered" part. Im not saying I dont know the variation, but I dont get the name.
Also, "kyokushin bible"? -to me that are the 3 original books by Oyama. "What is-", "This is-", and "advanced" -karate, that was used during the 60ies in hombu, for reference if Oyama was away.

Whatever.

My experience is that twist kick is the formal term, and that 'crescent kick' refers to an entirely different kick (seen at 14:58 in the video I posted).

The guy in the video, a 9th Dan legend, seems to agree.

It doesn't really matter what it's called anyway.

Your'e right. I confused the techniques. Twist kick is a distinct technique

I dont give a rear end of a rat about seagull, but could you post the vid about him teaching lyoto. I dont really get the "unchambered" part. Im not saying I dont know the variation, but I dont get the name.
Also, "kyokushin bible"? -to me that are the 3 original books by Oyama. "What is-", "This is-", and "advanced" -karate, that was used during the 60ies in hombu, for reference if Oyama was away.
let me look for the video when i get back to work. Perhaps I am getting the book wrong. It was old with alot of black and white photographs.

Last edited:
let me look for the video when i get back to work. Perhaps I am getting the book wrong. It was old with alot of black and white photographs.

I have never heard of Karate having an unchambered front kick either..

Seagal Seagal is humoured by Silva/Machida/etc because he is a world famous movie star they are enamoured by.

It is completely implausible that two expert martial artists with decades of training and professional competition hadn't already been aware of all sorts of front kicks and their variations. They just want to hang out with one of their heroes.

here is the vid. Its not really what I was talking about when I said the unchambered front kick, just what I thought spacetime was referring to. The one i saw in the kyokushin book was a front kick to the head.

Last edited:
I don't read (or speak) spanish, so I do not get the explanations. It just looks like a poor kick to me. kind of a low push kick without either snap or push hip action?

Kyokushin generally do not enforce as tight a chambering of the kick as some other styles, but off the top of my head I think you misinterpreted the kyokushin book you have read if you think that kick and this is the same.

Am I the only one who thinks Machida has a sightly pained expression on his face? "What the F am I doing?"

Seriously -a overweight aikido-ka trying to teach a high level elite fighter karate-ka a basic kick.

I don't read (or speak) spanish, so I do not get the explanations. It just looks like a poor kick to me. kind of a low push kick without either snap or push hip action?

Kyokushin generally do not enforce as tight a chambering of the kick as some other styles, but off the top of my head I think you misinterpreted the kyokushin book you have read if you think that kick and this is the same.

Am I the only one who thinks Machida has a sightly pained expression on his face? "What the F am I doing?"

Seriously -a overweight aikido-ka trying to teach a high level elite fighter karate-ka a basic kick.

I agree but in fairness, Seagal is a black belt in Shito Ryu Karate.

no i said I only talk about that kick because spacetime misinterpreted what I said. The chamberless kick I was talking about in the KK book wasnt like that. You know how they show you 3 images: stance, chamber, kick extended all the way. This one was straight up like a punt. at least thats how i remember it. maybe you are right.

no i said I only talk about that kick because spacetime misinterpreted what I said. The chamberless kick I was talking about in the KK book wasnt like that. You know how they show you 3 images: stance, chamber, kick extended all the way. This one was straight up like a punt. at least thats how i remember it. maybe you are right.

Did you mean this one? It's known as "rising kick". It travels in a straight, upward line with a stiff leg https://www.google.se/search?q=risi..._AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=oAR-jGNXULfsaM:

yeah thats exactly it. used to work well when I used to do muay thai. I don't know why I did it that way. Probably just instinct after all those years of kicking.

Hmm okey. It's actually a warm-up kick in Taekwondo. We never drill it against targets.

Hmm okey. It's actually a warm-up kick in Taekwondo. We never drill it against targets.
Ive heard a few people I think who did full contact karate back in the 70s 80s that you could not chamber the kick so they wouldnt see it coming. God I wish I could remember who i heard say that. They said it meant they couldnt see it coming or something. I know they do it in kung fu and I used to watch alot of old 70s kung fu movies. I know i got it from there. Maybe i found it a little faster or better range and range movtion and thats why I did it.

Back